ForumCoin Special Offer: Free ForumCoin Exchanges Close
Forum Coin is an online community where you earn Forum Coin for making posts and referring other members. You can use that Forum Coin as a virtual currency to buy and sell goods and services and to exchange for traditional, real world currencies. Find out more!
Get paid up to 150 ForumCoin to submit your article.

How to experience less racial discrimination when you are abroad

Postby fergus1234 » 16 Sep 2018, 06:03

I am one of those people who worked overseas for few years and one thing I know is that there are some people who don't like my presence on their country but I managed to make them tolerate me.Racial ,cultural and all kinds of discrimination is a bad thing to experience but if you are a foreigner or immigrant working abroad it is something expected. You will still experience discrimination from certain people but you can actually decrease the chance of being discriminated. If you know what you are doing, assimilation will be easy.

How to prevent discrimination.

1. Have a high self respect- No matter what color of your skin is, if you look like a vulnerable easy target you will be targeted. If you are someone who is full of confidence and comfort with your own skin, You won't get discriminated at all. Insecurity makes you vulnerable but confidence makes you imposing and respectful. If you look like someone who can hold on your own, you won't be a target.

2. Go out with friends.- When I worked at Texas for few years, I managed to make friends and I always go out with them. If you are surrounded by a circle of friends, no racist person will target you because you are not alone.

3. Respect their culture. That country's culture might be offensive and different from yours but you need to adapt to their customs. My sister don't like the dress code in Abu Dhabi but she followed the dress code even though she is a Jew. She can dress up the way she likes in other countries but she understand that she have to follow the dress code of the country so she won't be targeted. You also need to watch your language because some term can be seen as offensive on another country.

4.Learn their language and accent- Communication is the gateway to assimilation. If you can learn their language and their accent, you can easily blend it with the locals and they may even think you are a citizen. If you are going to work abroad, you need to learn the language of that country. Language can be learned on a year if you are determined. If you speak the language the locals will be more comfortable with your presence.

5.Be Polite - If you are polite , people won't mind your presence at all. People of all cultures like the presence of someone who respects them.They may respect you back despite of your difference.

6. Do not go the places where discrimination is said to be rampant. When I was in Texas, I usually hangout on places where there is diversity in the crowd. I do not go to places where the White Supremacist are known to hang out. Research information online where you can search for places where you will be treated better.

7.Always have your essential documents- if someone accused you of being illegal, Always have a copy of your VISA and ID.

fergus1234

ForumCoin: 449

Re: How to experience less racial discrimination when you are abroad

Postby Lushh » 16 Sep 2018, 06:28

These are good advice but I don't think it's necessary to mimic any accent. You are who you are and deliberately changing your accent to be identified as a citizen is fraud. :lol: I'm joking but I think it's just fine to speak with your native accent. Many will be fascinated by it, the open-minded, the peace-loving, the non-discriminatory, exactly the ones you want to associate with.

Lushh

ForumCoin: 51

Re: How to experience less racial discrimination when you are abroad

Postby fergus1234 » 16 Sep 2018, 12:44

Lushh wrote:These are good advice but I don't think it's necessary to mimic any accent. You are who you are and deliberately changing your accent to be identified as a citizen is fraud. :lol: I'm joking but I think it's just fine to speak with your native accent. Many will be fascinated by it, the open-minded, the peace-loving, the non-discriminatory, exactly the ones you want to associate with.

Changing my accent though helped me with all the job opportunities I have, I even got offered a citizenship which I refused since the US is not the country where I want to move.

fergus1234

ForumCoin: 449

Return to Articles & Tutorials