ForumCoin Special Offer: Free ForumCoin Exchanges Close
Forum Coin is an online community where you earn Forum Coin for making posts and referring other members. You can use that Forum Coin as a virtual currency to buy and sell goods and services and to exchange for traditional, real world currencies. Find out more!
You know you want to!

Is it better to suffer because you know what to expect?

Agree
No votes
Disagree
67%
Neutral
33%

Total votes : 6

POLL: Do You Prefer to Suffer?

Postby cmoneyspinner » 14 Apr 2018, 19:28

“People have a hard time letting go of their suffering. Out of a fear of the unknown, they prefer suffering that is familiar.”

~ Thích Nhất Hạnh (via http://purplebuddhaproject.tumblr.com/post/172926305365/people-have-a-hard-time-letting-go-of-their)

The Purple Buddha Project is a wonderful blog that I follow. I often find many wisdom quotes there. But this one quote I just can't wrap my head around.

What about you?

buddha-785866_960_720.jpg
buddha-785866_960_720.jpg (67.59 KiB) Viewed 56 times

cmoneyspinner

Referrals: 4
ForumCoin: 283

Re: POLL: Do You Prefer to Suffer?

Postby sprite1950 » 14 Apr 2018, 19:34

I hate suffering both physical and emotional and the thought of hanging on to it if I don't have to is just foreign to me. Maybe some people do but I don't have any trouble moving on and letting go as soon as I am ready.

sprite1950

Referrals: 7
ForumCoin: 143

Postby oldfriend » 14 Apr 2018, 20:17

I may get into trouble for saying this but,,,,,,,,

A lot of people take pride in their sickness and use it for attention.

The Bible says we are to live life abundantly and be more than conquerors.

I, for one, have several medical problems but that does not stop me from seeking complete healing for my ailments.

Oldfriend

oldfriend

ForumCoin: 987

Postby Silvermist » 15 Apr 2018, 07:19

I never consciously prefer to suffer.But on the other hand have you heard this quote?

“To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering.”

― Friedrich Nietzsche (philosopher).

Silvermist

ForumCoin: 983

Postby verity » 15 Apr 2018, 08:56

i Dont want to Suffer! but im living in suffering right now Financially and emotionally ! cause im unemployed and people around me belittled me beacuse of that!

verity

ForumCoin: 230

Postby Allius » 15 Apr 2018, 09:18

Hi!
For sure that no one can deny that this is true... at least for some people or some situations. :)
Most of us have fear for everything that's unknown . However, some keep moving (slowly) and trying new things and changing what they need do change.
But others don't move at all and that could be an issue, mainly when they really need to change.
But we can ask: when do we need to change something? When that something is causing issues in the other aspects of our lives (for example, social, professional, etc). ;)

Allius
Community Moderator

ForumCoin: 235

Postby darrensurrey » 15 Apr 2018, 10:12

Such a great statement. Many people find it hard to let go of their identity as a sufferer of their illness for various reason:
-fear of the unknown (what would life be like if I didn't have this illness?)
-they identify themselves by their illness(es) (almost like a badge of honour)
-they have something to talk about and like a good moan and the associated sympathy/attention ("how are you?" "Wellll, where to start? My back is playing up again, my feet ache, my rash has now spread to my arms." "Poor you. :( ")

darrensurrey

ForumCoin: 430

Postby nela13 » 16 Apr 2018, 10:55

Suffering is the comfort zone for a lot of people I know, they use it as an excuse for what happens in their lives. We all have fears but being stuck and don't move forward is a big mistake, I know what I am saying as I have done it before and now I regret.

nela13

Referrals: 3
ForumCoin: 2,064

Postby anorona » 17 Apr 2018, 14:16

It depends. I mean there are some sufferings that you need to take and overcome to be able to achieve your goals. I dont like sufferings but I am willing to take it for the people I love.

anorona

ForumCoin: 1,005

Return to General Chat - Off Topic