ForumCoin Special Offer: Free ForumCoin Exchanges Close
Forum Coin is an online community where you earn Forum Coin for making posts and referring other members. You can use that Forum Coin as a virtual currency to buy and sell goods and services and to exchange for traditional, real world currencies. Find out more!
Webmaster forum. Website development, design & management. Graphic design. Blog / Forum Set-up, Management, Admin & News

How to block Adblock Users?

Postby skysnap » 10 Jan 2017, 17:01

I am using google adsense on my site. And amazon affiliate links.

95% of my site traffic uses adblock. And I want to stop them from using the site.

My adsense revenue and amazon revenue has gone down. And it has affected my revenue. And this means I have to work on other projects to pay the hosting bills.

Any suggestion on blocking the adblock users? As most of them are not going to pay if I gone the subscription route because most of them want free stuff.

I want to know if there are any ways to block the adblock users. I don't want to stop my site for which I worked hard to create content everyday.

skysnap

ForumCoin: 1,532

Re: How to block Adblock Users?

Postby CyberFreak » 10 Jan 2017, 17:04

This will help you ---> https://blockadblock.com/

I use it on my faucets and it seems to work well. No method is 100% successful though so keep that in mind.

CyberFreak
Tech Admin

Referrals: 13
ForumCoin: 52,800

Postby skysnap » 10 Jan 2017, 17:43

Thanks CF.

I will check that script. Looks interesting.

skysnap

Postby germainebull » 11 Jan 2017, 08:31

I feel your frustration skysnap. It is unfair for a user to want to access your website and fail to acknowledge the efforts you've expended to create and host such site. I hope the method suggested by cyberfreak works for you.

germainebull

Referrals: 30
ForumCoin: -66

Postby jacktheking » 11 Jan 2017, 11:40

CyberFreak wrote:This will help you ---> https://blockadblock.com/

I use it on my faucets and it seems to work well. No method is 100% successful though so keep that in mind.

It is working on their site and some other sites (for example ForumCoin.win) which I went to. However when using the same browser on my site after adding their script, my AdBlock is not blocked. I will try it out again when I am free and see what is the problem.

Anyway, the below simple JavaScript snippet should help you.
(It will call a JavaScript file from http://freebitcoinlottery.xyz/, if you don't want to, you can save the external JavaScript file to your host (with the same name) and change the path to the JavaScript file in the code below)

Code: Select all
<script>var adblock = true;</script><script src='http://freebitcoinlottery.xyz/js/adframe.js'></script><script>if(adblock) {alert("Hello there! Kindly disable your AdBlocking software before continue. Thank you.");}</script>

jacktheking
MMO Site Owner
MMO Site Owner

ForumCoin: 162

Postby CyberFreak » 17 Jan 2017, 15:08

jacktheking wrote:t is working on their site and some other sites (for example ForumCoin.win) which I went to. However when using the same browser on my site after adding their script, my AdBlock is not blocked. I will try it out again when I am free and see what is the problem.
If you use something that minify JS, it can interfere with it. I had a hard time getting it working because Cloudflare AND mod_pagespeed were messing up the script.

CyberFreak
Tech Admin

Referrals: 13
ForumCoin: 52,800

Postby timobg » 20 Jan 2017, 10:10

I also use ad blocker when I surf the net.. I understand that it's not fair for the website owners but you have to admit that most of the sites put a lot of ads and you end up just seeing ads and not the content you were looking for. Not to mention the awful full page ads, video ads, etc.. Of course if I really want to access the content and the site asks me to disable my ad blocker - I do it.

timobg

Referrals: 1
ForumCoin: 206

Postby earthsalt » 13 Feb 2017, 09:20

Wait a moment. Wouldn't blocking adblock users serve as a double edged sword? Will you be able to reach as many users as you want?

earthsalt
Banned

ForumCoin: 80

Postby skysnap » 13 Feb 2017, 09:48

earthsalt wrote:Wait a moment. Wouldn't blocking adblock users serve as a double edged sword? Will you be able to reach as many users as you want?

Adblock users are known for not buying anything from anyone online. So blocking them helps not only me but adversiers as well.

It's better to reach 10 people who see ads than 1000 adblock users. Adblock users are not helping economy or content creators.

skysnap

Postby jacktheking » 14 Feb 2017, 06:15

CyberFreak wrote:
jacktheking wrote:t is working on their site and some other sites (for example ForumCoin.win) which I went to. However when using the same browser on my site after adding their script, my AdBlock is not blocked. I will try it out again when I am free and see what is the problem.
If you use something that minify JS, it can interfere with it. I had a hard time getting it working because Cloudflare AND mod_pagespeed were messing up the script.

Oh that explain. I have CloudFlare enabled on my sites. Sound like I should give this website another go later on.

jacktheking
MMO Site Owner
MMO Site Owner

ForumCoin: 162

Postby thisnthat » 14 Feb 2017, 16:20

There is a reason people use adblockers. Some site owners got too greedy and littered their sites with ads. In other cases, ads contained malicious things and few if any sites take care to make sure the ads are safe for their users.

I don't like it, but I get it. I have had to turn my adblock off on several sites. I don't mind it so much on good sites where I also benefit, but for run of the mill info that I can just find on the next site... yeah, not turning it off. So, blocking people like me might be good for you.

Even if I turned it off, I'd bounce if there were too many ads anyway. I don't mind some, since people need to make money, but I don't like sites where it's clear that the only reason they made the site was to post ads.

thisnthat

ForumCoin: 51

Postby skysnap » 14 Feb 2017, 17:00

Run off the mill or high value content doesn't matter, peoples tendency to use adblocker is not rightly justified for every blog. It takes a lot of work to build videos on youtube, create content and images. Adblocker users attitude towards content creator is really off putting. So I'm going to put the content in future behind subscription. And free won't be there as it is so I don't have to pay bills from ad income. I hope many webmaster do the same and then people will realize how much it costs for content creators to make content.

skysnap

Postby thisnthat » 14 Feb 2017, 21:36

I respectfully disagree, and I know exactly how much work it is. That doesn't mean that people can't find the info elsewhere. The Internet is fairly well saturated with information on most topics.

It is very hard to create high quality, original content. If that is what you are providing then a subscription might work.

I don't have an attitude against content creators (it's what I do too). I have an attitude against people who basically spam you the second you click their link. I'm not talking about the average site. I'm talking about sites so cluttered with ads that you're afraid to look around because you might click on an ad accidentally just trying to reach some actual content.

thisnthat

ForumCoin: 51

Postby skysnap » 15 Feb 2017, 07:04

People and companies who spam usually don't have content. Because when you have content, you don't have to spam for it. However attitude of adblock users of expecting everything for free in excuse of content can be acquired elsewhere so every content creator should offer free is off putting. I am among those content creators who worked hard to reach where I am today and tired of adblock users who demand free content and even sometimes post negative comment or demand stuff. People who fall into that category can continue to chew off free content as long as it lasts. Genuine content creators are going behind the pay wall or anti adblock way.

skysnap

Postby timobg » 15 Feb 2017, 07:58

I don't mind turning off my ad blocker if the site offers unique and quality content, I don't mind paying for that content as well. But there're so many sites built just to make money from ads and offering nothing in return - just copy/paste articles from the original source - I refuse to fill their pockets.

timobg

Referrals: 1
ForumCoin: 206

Next

Return to Webmaster Questions, Discussion & News