ForumCoin Special Offer: Free ForumCoin Exchanges Close
ForumCoin is an online community where you earn ForumCoin for making posts and for referring other members. You can use the ForumCoin virtual currency to buy and sell goods and services and to exchange for traditional currencies. Find out more!
Webmaster forum. Website development, design & management. Graphic design. Blog / Forum Set-up, Management, Admin & News

owning a website is becoming a thing of the past

Postby fergus1234 » 16 Apr 2019, 09:00

Recently a tv station in my country gets rid of their official website and all of their online activities can now only be see their social media pages. some companies on the other hand replace their official website with an app. a social network page and a YouTube channel consumes less data than an official website. many huge companies don't even bother having an official website. majority of internet users these days are using mobile instead of pc. Most mobile internet users are dealing with data capping

fergus1234

ForumCoin: 236

Re: owning a website is becoming a thing of the past

Postby naxewp81 » 16 Apr 2019, 09:14

It's pretty much the same everywhere I think. These are the times of social media and smartphones. Most companies and businesses of every kind are doing well in the 'know how' of staying relevant to the consumers. :ugeek:

naxewp81

ForumCoin: 88

Postby Ash » 16 Apr 2019, 10:56

It's weird really. I would have said things like websites have become much more important in the current age especially with people not willing to download apps for everything. Certain social media sites aren't exactly extremely popular right now either which makes even less sense they would rely solely on social media pages.

Ash

ForumCoin: 9

Postby KyushuKris » 16 Apr 2019, 15:03

it would be nice if there were less media options though. I remember back in the old days when if you wanted to promote something all you had was one main website. Now you have to cross off all the main social media, FB, Twitter, Instagram et al. It's a pain.

KyushuKris

ForumCoin: 469

Postby mrki444 » 16 Apr 2019, 15:44

Since we want everything on one place, people rare visit offical sites. FB is best example. FB first join few service into one place - chat, image share, post share, follows.

mrki444
MMO Site Owner
MMO Site Owner

ForumCoin: 351

Postby fergus1234 » 17 Apr 2019, 04:50

kingcool52 wrote:It's weird really. I would have said things like websites have become much more important in the current age especially with people not willing to download apps for everything. Certain social media sites aren't exactly extremely popular right now either which makes even less sense they would rely solely on social media pages.

the fact companies are getting rid of their websites means most consumers prefers social media pages, They still have billion users.

fergus1234

Postby sofs » 17 Apr 2019, 05:02

A website is more authentic and reliable to me than a social media page. I don't think websites will become a thing of the past in a another 5-8 years or so. I don't know what is going to be in, but surely it is not going to be social media. Google + and other social media sites had to close shutters because they hardly had any users. I would like to see some facts and figures. That would be interesting to see what the numbers speak. I would do it if I have the time.

sofs

ForumCoin: 3,468

Postby fergus1234 » 17 Apr 2019, 13:51

Majority of users though dont visit official websites of companies so they just go to social media pages of companies. Disney is a Billion dollar company and their website barely gets traffic but their facebook and instagram page have lots of traffic.

fergus1234

Postby Sam » 17 Apr 2019, 18:28

I can appreciate the importance of social media but I feel that owning a website is more important than ever. Facebook and other social media giants can kick you from their platform and demoneotise your work. Barring a worst-case scenario, they could change their algorithm or UI to make it more difficult for you to find your audience (Snapchat and Facebook). They own your user data.

It's more difficult than ever before to build a website audience but I think it's well worth it to have the direct connection with customers in a crowded market. Having a website offers huge opportunities... e.g. imagine if ForumCoin was simply a Facebook group... so many features wouldn't be possible.

Sam

Referrals: 14
ForumCoin: 828

Postby cmoneyspinner » 17 Apr 2019, 21:12

No surprise. I saw that coming a long time ago. The only reason I keep my websites is because Facebook has certain rules and those rules don't apply to my stand-alone websites. But if you get what you need just by having a Facebook page you don't really need a website. The website is just extra work and extra expense.

cmoneyspinner

Referrals: 7
ForumCoin: 99

Postby fergus1234 » 17 Apr 2019, 22:13

sofs wrote:A website is more authentic and reliable to me than a social media page. I don't think websites will become a thing of the past in a another 5-8 years or so. I don't know what is going to be in, but surely it is not going to be social media. Google + and other social media sites had to close shutters because they hardly had any users. I would like to see some facts and figures. That would be interesting to see what the numbers speak. I would do it if I have the time.

The websites of many big companies are now just links to their social media. They abandon their journals etc.... Websites is only good for pc users and wont appeal to mobile users.

fergus1234

Postby Ash » 19 Apr 2019, 20:35

How many large companies are getting rid of their websites though? I don't think it's a massive move, maybe just by a few companies. I honestly can't see why they would get rid of their sites when they could just keep both.

Ash

ForumCoin: 9

Postby Joseph83 » 19 Apr 2019, 20:55

Yea. I believe part of the reason is because people spend more time on social networks . So one browsing on Facebook or other network can at same time read about a company products from their page without going to their website.

Joseph83

ForumCoin: 6

Postby fergus1234 » 20 Apr 2019, 06:36

Ash wrote:How many large companies are getting rid of their websites though? I don't think it's a massive move, maybe just by a few companies. I honestly can't see why they would get rid of their sites when they could just keep both.

not really few and these are not small companies.

Most websites of companies I support replaced their website with links to their social media sites. Tv stations are the ones that abandons and closes their websites the most. They do not cater to gen-exers and baby boomers with pc anymore. They care more about Millennials with smartphones. Websites consume a lot of data. Companies are replacing their websites with apps and social media page. Maintenance of a website costs a lot of money too.

For Wendy's their Twitter account helped their sales more than their website. Also why have your own online store if you can just sell to Amazon.

Website users are a minority now. The ratio of pc users and smartphone users is just a massive difference.

The traffic of most company websites are declining.

fergus1234

Postby cmoneyspinner » 20 Apr 2019, 17:51

It's a decision any prudent business person would make. It's all about cutting down on expenses so your revenue will increase. Big or large companies can afford to do this because most people don't visit their website anyway. TV stations, for example. Why go to their website when you can find them on YouTube or Facebook?

cmoneyspinner

Referrals: 7
ForumCoin: 99

Next

Return to Webmaster Questions, Discussion & News