*** ForumCoin is Proudly Hosted by Hawk Host ***
ForumCoin is an online community where you earn ForumCoin for making posts and for referring other members. You can use the ForumCoin virtual currency to buy and sell goods and services and to exchange for traditional currencies. Find out more!
BMF Banner Ad
You know you want to!

How do you deal with mice problem?

Postby hunkmenlordy » 06 Feb 2019, 20:29

The first thing I do is find their runs. They will likely be along ledges and baseboards. They will look like smears of grease along the wall. These tell me how they are moving around in the house, where they are going and where they are living.

The second thing I do is lock all food into hard plastic containers. They can chew through it but are unlikely to want to go through all of the work, especially when they can't smell through it. Lexan plastic is what I use. It's a little bit expensive but it will serve you well. Like these.

After I locked away the food, I make sure the water sources are identified. Now I have all 3 locations that they are going: Their home, their food, and their water.

So now I am ready for effective trapping. Effective trapping means laying a metric sh*t TON of snap traps. Change out the type of trap that I am using: clearly they have figured out how to get around the ones I am using now. Place them along the runs, perpendicular to the direction of the run. Place them at corners on both sides facing into the corner. I consider laying down unset traps with no bait and letting them get used to their presence for a while. Then set them all up at once.

The best place to trap is on a vertical run where they have to climb up. Narrow the climb so they have to scramble up blindly, and then trap the sh*t out of it. When they stick their paw up to grab and climb they'll hit the trap.

When I know where the nest is, find something to spray it with and coat it. Consider calling a pro.

Finally, I seal off their entrance into the home. Find any holes (mice can get through a hole the size of a pencil eraser) and fill them with steel wool and insulating foam. Fully inspect my home with a flashlight, pull away all furniture, inspect all pipes, and seal it tight.

hunkmenlordy

ForumCoin: 25

Banner Ad

Re: How do you deal with mice problem?

Postby KyushuKris » 07 Feb 2019, 00:47

gotta get a cat, bro

KyushuKris

ForumCoin: 484

Postby Streamguy69 » 07 Feb 2019, 00:50

I have had one mouse this whole winter. I have these sticky traps around with a little food on them but this little fella might have went to how not to get caught in a sticky trap school. I might try some other things but for now it seems to be in other places. We have a big older house

Streamguy69

Referrals: 2
ForumCoin: 437

Postby MysticMoons » 07 Feb 2019, 01:27

Well I have seen the movie Mouse Hunt. So I think I can figure out how to get rid of the mouse. One thing I learned from the movie. If you want to catch a mouse, you have to think like a mouse!

want to make big money playing games and chilling onlie then check out the link to learn how! https://vocal.media/gamers/how-to-make-money-playing-video-games-from-homework from home playing games
MysticMoons

ForumCoin: 751

Postby Netherrealmer » 07 Feb 2019, 07:07

I have a cat who is very aggressive at catching them. I gave my cat a diet of raw meat so she will stay carnivorous and not lose her hunter instinct.

Netherrealmer
Community Moderator

ForumCoin: 2,558

Postby iamdahmmy » 07 Feb 2019, 13:26

Rats loves a dirty environment.. Keep your home clean, put your foodstuffs in plastics..seal holes they can pass through to get into the house.. Set traps..poison them...this pesky critters can be soo annoying leaving a foul smell and poop pellets around the house..

iamdahmmy

ForumCoin: 401

Postby kanchan18 » 17 Mar 2019, 15:07

They are not a threat in my place. There are one or two here and I can live with them. lol

kanchan18

ForumCoin: 1,052

Postby OldGuy » 17 Mar 2019, 15:35

Back before I retired and moved into a small apartment, I had a big home in a country setting where wildlife was part of the scene, including quite a number of mice. Since there were so many who lived in the wild surrounding my home, it was not really possible to completely get rid of them.

The best trap I ever found and used was a home made design I found on an internet search. It was a 5 gallon bucket with a narrow dowel rod across the opening, about an inch down from the top. I smeared peanut butter around the insides, about 3 to 4 inches down from the top. The bucket had about 6 inches of liquid antifreeze in the bottom ... the kind that could be used in the drinking water supply for travel trailers. That kind of antifreeze has a fruit flavor and smells sweet to add to the attraction. Auto antifreeze smell repels them so is not suitable.

Mice could quite easily climb up to the top, where they found the only way to get near the smell of the peanut butter was to venture out on the narrow dowel rod. As they leaned down to try and reach the peanut butter, they would fall into the antifreeze, which would quickly drown them. The antifreeze stayed liquid through the coldest winters and also kept the dead critters from smelling. I left the bucket under a shed roof just outside the back of the house.

When there were a couple hundred mice in the bucket, I put a lid on it and tossed the whole thing in the trash and simply replaced it with a new bucket. One bucket usually was good for a year of keeping them out of the house.

Please help make ForumCoin friendlier!
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=22964
OldGuy

Referrals: 1
ForumCoin: 1,657

Postby ton251 » 19 Mar 2019, 17:11

buy glue trap , put some tomatoes there

ton251

ForumCoin: 12

Postby leo1000 » 19 Mar 2019, 23:32

A cat or two would help a lot.

leo1000

ForumCoin: 17

Postby Rosalin » 20 Mar 2019, 05:26

I try to keep my house as clean as possible. Because if, the place is not clean enough, it can easily turn into the house of mice and other creepy crawlies. And then lots of rat killers are available and they actually helps a lot to get rid of mice. The trick is use rat killer as soon as you spot a single mouse in your home. In this way it is easier to deal with them. If you will take long time then, that one mouse will soon form it's family in your house.. And then it becomes irritating.

Rosalin

ForumCoin: 374

Postby augusta » 22 Mar 2019, 05:34

Keeping the environment clean is the first thing to do then have a cat to go after them it does help. You can trap them if you can and block all their entrance too.

augusta

ForumCoin: 11

Postby mrki444 » 23 Mar 2019, 12:05

I'm working in school and we had fre mouse in Building. After last time mouse ran at Database lecture, he never show up again.

mrki444

Referrals: 1
ForumCoin: 533

Postby Angie10 » 23 Mar 2019, 19:21

No, can't say I've ever had a problem with mice. But like some have said, if I did find myself in that situation, I'd just get a cat.

Angie10

Referrals: 4
ForumCoin: 4,440

Postby ceci » 02 Apr 2019, 13:46

I don't have a cat, I tried to buy a sticky glue, a cage before but failed.
Anyway, the rat died due to taking some beeswax itself! :P
Another one died due to drown in the big pale with water when I travelled for two days.

ceci

Referrals: 5
ForumCoin: 26

Next

Your Ad Here.

Return to General Chat - Off Topic