*** ForumCoin is Proudly Hosted by Hawk Host ***
ForumCoin is an online community where you earn ForumCoin for making posts and for referring other members. You can use the ForumCoin virtual currency to buy and sell goods and services and to exchange for traditional currencies. Find out more!
BMF Banner Ad
Webmaster forum. Website development, design & management. Graphic design. Blog / Forum Set-up, Management, Admin & News

Can anyone please tell me what is the major difference between Wordpress.com amd Wordpress.org?

Postby anilmr » 15 Jan 2019, 16:56

What I have read is that the one major difference between WordPress.com and WordPress.org is who's actually hosting your website. Whereas in WordPress.org you'll find the free WordPress software that you can download and install on your own web server, in case of WordPress.com, it takes care of all of the hosting for you. Is there any other major difference?

Last edited by anilmr on 14 Mar 2019, 20:52, edited 1 time in total.
anilmr

Referrals: 6
ForumCoin: 2,183

Banner Ad

Re: Can anyone please tell me what is the major difference between Wordpress.com amd Wordpress.org?

Postby mrki444 » 15 Jan 2019, 18:45

No, that it's.

mrki444

Referrals: 1
ForumCoin: 529

Re: Can anyone please tell me what is the major difference between Wordpress.com amd Wordpress.org?

Postby Rational Mind » 15 Jan 2019, 21:55

wordpress.com is a blogging platform that you can use it for free as well as pay for premium version (will give you a website with custom domain). wordpress.org is an open source content management system that you can use for any kind of website.

Rational Mind
Banned

ForumCoin: 34

Postby cinderella » 16 Jan 2019, 06:57

I remember when I was just starting with blogging for Wordpress and I started with Wordpress.com. That was when I learned that I could not have my own name on my blog because it is a subdomain. So I decided to search further and from then I learned about the difference of the two.

EARN BITCON CASH THROUGH WRITING

cinderella

Referrals: 9
ForumCoin: 512

Postby kat82 » 16 Jan 2019, 11:28

anilmr wrote:What I have read is that the one major difference between WordPress.com and WordPress.org is who's actually hosting your website. Whereas in WordPress.org you'll find the free WordPress software that you can download and install on your own web server, in case of WordPress.com, takes care of all of the hosting for you. Is there any other major difference?

Wordpress.com is free powered by WordPress while wordpress.org is a downloadable WordPress software which any one can install onto his or their hosting services and create a WordPress CMS site..

kat82

Referrals: 69
ForumCoin: 1,420

Postby Rational Mind » 16 Jan 2019, 22:41

kat82 wrote:Wordpress.com is free powered by WordPress while wordpress.org is a downloadable WordPress software which any one can install onto his or their hosting services and create a WordPress CMS site

By the way you also have an option to use premium service with wordpress.com and get a website with custom domain. :D

Rational Mind
Banned

Postby Ash » 18 Jan 2019, 13:38

I remember using Wordpress.com a long time ago when I was younger. It was much less restrictive than it is now especially with the new paid plans that they have added.

Ash

Referrals: 1
ForumCoin: 102

Postby Chameli » 05 Feb 2019, 10:08

I think the premium plans for wordpress dot com is expensive than launching your own self hosted wordpress site.

Chameli
Banned

ForumCoin: 170

Postby cinderella » 05 Feb 2019, 10:15

You cannot place ads from ad networks such as Google Adsense if you are using Wordpress.com. You cannot use plugins and you cannot optimize your site for search engines.

EARN BITCON CASH THROUGH WRITING

cinderella

Referrals: 9
ForumCoin: 512

Postby Rational Mind » 05 Feb 2019, 17:43

cinderella wrote:You cannot place ads from ad networks such as Google Adsense if you are using Wordpress.com. You cannot use plugins and you cannot optimize your site for search engines.

Free wordpress has limitation. However, it can of course be optimized for search engines. I have see a lot of website using wordpress subdomain ranked on Google

Rational Mind
Banned

Postby anilmr » 14 Mar 2019, 20:55

cinderella wrote:I remember when I was just starting with blogging for Wordpress and I started with Wordpress.com. That was when I learned that I could not have my own name on my blog because it is a subdomain. So I decided to search further and from then I learned about the difference of the two.

Yes, you are right - Wordpress.com is a sub-domain like Blogger or Weebly. I think you can have your own name, but it will be followed by .wordpress.com, just like .blogspot.com with Blogger.

anilmr

Referrals: 6
ForumCoin: 2,183

Postby johnywalker » 15 Mar 2019, 00:33

anilmr wrote:
cinderella wrote:I remember when I was just starting with blogging for Wordpress and I started with Wordpress.com. That was when I learned that I could not have my own name on my blog because it is a subdomain. So I decided to search further and from then I learned about the difference of the two.

Yes, you are right - Wordpress.com is a sub-domain like Blogger or Weebly. I think you can have your own name, but it will be followed by .wordpress.com, just like .blogspot.com with Blogger.

Wordpress.com has two features, one free and two premium. Free feature will give you a subdomaian where as premium feature will give you a site with custom domain.

johnywalker
Banned

ForumCoin: 178

Postby Chameli » 15 Mar 2019, 02:32

Most of the people are not aware that wordpress.com also has a premium service. Wordpress.com offers you a free domain for the first year, if you subscribe to their premium plan. The premium service from wordpress.com will give you a WordPress hosted site.

Chameli
Banned

ForumCoin: 170

Postby Mika » 13 Feb 2021, 18:07

Worpress.com is a blogging platform that has a free as well as premium version. The Premium version of wordpress.com is very expensiveWordpress.org offers wordpress as open source content management system.

Mika

ForumCoin: 0

Postby GuestHu » 14 Feb 2021, 02:44

Mika wrote:Worpress.com is a blogging platform that has a free as well as premium version. The Premium version of wordpress.com is very expensiveWordpress.org offers wordpress as open source content management system.

Can you upgrade your free WordPress site to a premium version. How much it would cost? May I know?

GuestHu

ForumCoin: 749

Next

Your Ad Here.

Return to Webmaster Questions, Discussion & News