*** ForumCoin is Proudly Hosted by Hawk Host ***
ForumCoin is an online community where you earn ForumCoin for making posts and for referring other members. You can use the ForumCoin virtual currency to buy and sell goods and services and to exchange for traditional currencies. Find out more!
BMF Banner Ad
You know you want to!

Would you like Olympics to be staged in your city?

Poll ended at 11 Jan 2019, 08:37

1.Yes
33%
2.No
50%
3.Undecided
17%

Total votes : 6

Would you like Olympics being hosted in your city/country?

Postby ptrikha21 » 27 Dec 2018, 08:37

All,
would you like the Olympics to be staged in your city or country?
Why? Or why not? What benefits or drawbacks do you foresee?
As for I, I would like India to host the Olympics, but only a few events in big cities like Mumbai or Delhi, as I think the infrastructural nightmares would be too many.
May be a number of cities with specially built infrastructure, transport and living arrangements can be used.
Many experts say that hosting Olympics can push cities to debt cycles, but some cities have benefitted from such hosting too.
What do you say?

ptrikha21

Referrals: 5
ForumCoin: 897

Banner Ad

Re: Would you like Olympics being hosted in your city/country?

Postby sabtra » 27 Dec 2018, 13:59

Rome refused to host the 2024 Olympics. It's indeed expensive and we can't really afford it.
The city has many problems already. We would also have to invest a lot in security, due to the terrorist attacks that have become common in Europe.
I don't know if the benefits can ever be enough. We don't really need more tourists or more mess, after all. :?

sabtra

Referrals: 1
ForumCoin: 214

Postby mrki444 » 27 Dec 2018, 16:32

No I don't. Host would spend to much money on stadiums which later would only stay empty. We can see excellent examples from Brazil. That money could be spend much better.

mrki444

ForumCoin: 533

Postby ceci » 27 Dec 2018, 16:44

No, it would create too many crowds and rubbish after the event, haha! :lol:

ceci

ForumCoin: 26

Postby augusta » 28 Dec 2018, 06:35

Sure I will like to have it hosted in my country. This brings about friendliness and peace amongst participating countries which is great thing among nation's.

augusta

ForumCoin: 6

Postby freelancermariagrace » 28 Dec 2018, 06:38

Yes, that would be great for the Tourism industry of our country.

freelancermariagrace

ForumCoin: 650

Postby ptrikha21 » 28 Dec 2018, 08:06

sabtra wrote:Rome refused to host the 2024 Olympics. It's indeed expensive and we can't really afford it.
The city has many problems already. We would also have to invest a lot in security, due to the terrorist attacks that have become common in Europe.
I don't know if the benefits can ever be enough. We don't really need more tourists or more mess, after all. :?

Yes Olympics require a huge amount of investments- in terms of Infra, Logistics, accomodation and security as well. It does pits a burden on the resources of the host city and country.
But some cities and countries also benefit.

--- 28 Dec 2018, 13:37 ---

freelancermariagrace wrote:Yes, that would be great for the Tourism industry of our country.

Yes, even with the costs involved, the benefits also flow in.

--- 28 Dec 2018, 13:40 ---

augusta wrote:Sure I will like to have it hosted in my country. This brings about friendliness and peace amongst participating countries which is great thing among nation's.

Yes the games do bring in a spirit of sports and friendship, and healthy competition.

--- 28 Dec 2018, 13:40 ---

ceci wrote:No, it would create too many crowds and rubbish after the event, haha! :lol:

Have you been in a city which hosted such a big event?

--- 28 Dec 2018, 13:41 ---

mrki444 wrote:No I don't. Host would spend to much money on stadiums which later would only stay empty. We can see excellent examples from Brazil. That money could be spend much better.

But Brazil would also have benefited from the Olympics as well?

ptrikha21

Postby sabtra » 28 Dec 2018, 15:24

ptrikha21 wrote:Yes Olympics require a huge amount of investments- in terms of Infra, Logistics, accomodation and security as well. It does pits a burden on the resources of the host city and country.

If the city knows how to use all the infrastructures after the event, it can surely be beneficial. Otherwise, all we get is debt and deserts of concrete. The Olympics also forces some countries to fix problems, such as broken roads or garbage on the streets. The obvious advantage would be an increase of tourism but I doubt Italy needs that, modestly. :?

sabtra

ForumCoin: 214

Postby mrki444 » 28 Dec 2018, 19:26

ptrikha21 wrote:But Brazil would also have benefited from the Olympics as well?

Yes, but only for that time. Later stayed only big loans since earned Money wasn't enough for cover it.

mrki444

ForumCoin: 533

Postby ptrikha21 » 29 Dec 2018, 14:03

mrki444 wrote:

Yes, not a pleasant thing indeed !

Yes, but only for that time. Later stayed only big loans since earned Money wasn't enough for cover it.

ptrikha21

Postby suny » 30 Dec 2018, 07:10

I would certainly like to see it happen in my country India. I have seen various international sports meet such as Asian Games, Commonwealth Games and other world cup tournaments but Olympics is one major event that is still a dream for us.

suny

Referrals: 66
ForumCoin: 504

Postby arunima » 31 Dec 2018, 06:40

I would love to have it in India. That might lead to some development in terms of infrastructure in our country.

arunima

ForumCoin: 617

Postby ptrikha21 » 31 Dec 2018, 07:16

sabtra wrote:
ptrikha21 wrote:Yes Olympics require a huge amount of investments- in terms of Infra, Logistics, accomodation and security as well. It does pits a burden on the resources of the host city and country.

If the city knows how to use all the infrastructures after the event, it can surely be beneficial. Otherwise, all we get is debt and deserts of concrete. ..........

Indeed, it is up to the Host city and its Organizers and planners as to how they can use the Infrastructure. Yet as Olympics need vast sums of money, debt too can pile up, if things do not go as per plan.

--- 31 Dec 2018, 12:47 ---

arunima wrote:I would love to have it in India. That might lead to some development in terms of infrastructure in our country.

Yet, I have a feeling a single city in India might find it difficult to host Olympics.
So may be we could have Delhi and Noida/Gurgaon hosting such an event, or may be Mumbai and Pune.

--- 31 Dec 2018, 12:48 ---

suny wrote:I would certainly like to see it happen in my country India. I have seen various international sports meet such as Asian Games, Commonwealth Games and other world cup tournaments but Olympics is one major event that is still a dream for us.

Yes, India would be in a position to host Olympics, may be in the next 10 to 15 years. Yet a lot of planning would be needed.

--- 31 Dec 2018, 12:52 ---

mrki444 wrote:

Oh that is not good. Yet I hope later on, the expenses would be covered up.

ptrikha21

Postby Scyllune » 05 Jan 2019, 16:40

No, I would not be amiable to the Olympics being hosted in my country.

Hosting the Olympics has turned into a pageantry contest recently, one where the expenditures far surpass the payouts. Building the infrastructure to host the Olympics would require vast sums of money, which my country does not have. It would be absurd to host a glamorous tournament when seventy percent of the total population live below the poverty line.

And don't get me started on the traffic situation! Studies have recently shown that the people of my country's capital city, on average, lose two to four hours a day in traffic! And that's on a regular workday. The Olympics will bring in an influx of people: players, coaches, entourage, politicians, tourists. Given the dismal state of the roads here, it'll be impossible to bear all these newcomers.

Scyllune

ForumCoin: 15

Postby ptrikha21 » 05 Jan 2019, 17:04

Scyllune wrote:No, I would not be amiable to the Olympics being hosted in my country.

Hosting the Olympics has turned into a pageantry contest recently, one where the expenditures far surpass the payouts. Building the infrastructure to host the Olympics would require vast sums of money, which my country does not have. It would be absurd to host a glamorous tournament when seventy percent of the total population live below the poverty line.
......aches, entourage, politicians, tourists. Given the dismal state of the roads here, it'll be impossible to bear all these newcomers.

I can understand. Perhaps not every city or venue is suitable for hosting Olympics. Or may be Olympic games need to be changed so that the expenditures are lesser. May be eco-friendly accommodations or venues might be a possibility.

ptrikha21

Next

Your Ad Here.

Return to General Chat - Off Topic