*** ForumCoin is Proudly Hosted by Hawk Host ***
ForumCoin is an online community where you earn ForumCoin for making posts and for referring other members. You can use the ForumCoin virtual currency to buy and sell goods and services and to exchange for traditional currencies. Find out more!
BMF Banner Ad
Ask Me Anything and Interviews. Start your AMA here.

Re: AMA OldGuy

Postby OldGuy » 28 Jul 2018, 13:35

I have never understood the interest in the family antics and never follow anything about them. However, the question is "self made" ? If you start out in a family with great wealth, there is a starting point most of us will never see. I think it would be a very different story if she had truly started with nothing. That self-made title would most likely not exist without the family backing.

It does not matter anyway. No matter how much you accumulate on this rock, you can't take a thing with you when you make your exit. You never really "own" anything. Best you can do is rent it while you are here.

OldGuy

Referrals: 1
ForumCoin: 1,657

Banner Ad

Postby bestwriter » 04 Aug 2018, 23:20

Was that your money you spent when you asked the community to posot under certain categories? I got a few FCs from you :D

bestwriter

Referrals: 2
ForumCoin: 332

Postby OldGuy » 10 Aug 2018, 10:14

Sorry, only just now noticed this question.

Yes. Every offer I have made on the site has been from my personal collection of ForumCoins.

I have no need or interest in cashing in my ForumCoins, and no place else to spend them. I have been using my personal collection to benefit the site by sharing them with other members to improve content, as rewards for finding several hidden "Easter Egg" surprises in my content, and in other forms of encouragement to active members on the site.

OldGuy

Postby bestwriter » 10 Aug 2018, 11:14

You are right about earnings here. They surely do not add to much that one can live on them and you are making good use of them.

bestwriter

Referrals: 2
ForumCoin: 332

Postby ptrikha21 » 15 Nov 2018, 08:18

Do you know or talk in languages apart from English?

ptrikha21

Referrals: 5
ForumCoin: 897

Postby OldGuy » 15 Nov 2018, 08:50

My primary language is English and where I live now, there is not much opportunity to even try any other language.

However, I did take Spanish classes from grade 7 through grade 11 way back in my school days. I learned academic Spanish, but no one really talks like that in real life. At the time, you could choose Spanish, French or Latin in my school days but there was not much chance to use it anywhere other than that specific class.

Many years later, I ended up due to a new job living in New Mexico, and there were a lot of nearby Mexicans in the same community. I learned "street Spanish" with all the colorful twists and thought I understood most of it.

During the time I lived there, I had a job selling solar home heating systems. We had a demo system set up on a trailer and I took it around to shopping centers to show how it worked and to make home appointments for hopeful sales.

A Mexican couple stopped by and was very interested. They did not speak a word of English, so I had to make the entire presentation in Spanish. I sat on one side of the kitchen table while the husband, wife and teenage son sat at the other. A few small children were playing on the floor nearby.

All went well. They were excited. We completed all the paperwork and the sale was successful. An appointment was made for a crew to come and install their heating system. They were happy and I had another commission coming.

As I was collecting my paperwork and getting ready to leave, the husband casually asked what he should do about the little kids going in and out, leaving the door open and letting the heat out? It was more just a friendly conversational question.

I responded with what I thought meant merely a hit or slap, but that street language fooled me. The husband and teenager both stared at me wide eyed. The wife turned beet red and left the room in tears. When the guys realized I truly did not quite understand what I had said, they both roared in laughter. The wife never did accept any apology.

After I got back home, I called the local university and asked to speak to the Spanish Professor. When I explained what had happened and what I had said, his first response was an amazed "and you are still alive to ask me?"

Let's just say that particular street word meant a whole lot more than a hit or slap.

So yes, I sort of know some Spanish, but only enough to put my foot in my mouth. :oops:

Please help make ForumCoin friendlier!
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=22964
OldGuy

Postby ptrikha21 » 15 Nov 2018, 13:34

OldGuy wrote:My primary language is English and where I live now, there is not much opportunity to even try any other language.

However, I did take Spanish classes from grade 7 through grade 11 way back in my school days. I learned academic Spanish, but no one really talks like that in real life. At the time, you could choose Spanish, French or Latin in my school days but there was not much chance to use it anywhere other than that specific class.

Many years later, I ended up due to a new job living in New Mexico, and there were a lot of nearby Mexicans in the same community. I learned "street Spanish" with all the colorful twists and thought I understood most of it.

During the time I lived there, I had a job selling solar home heating systems. We had a demo system set up on a trailer and I took it around to shopping centers to show how it worked and to make home appointments for hopeful sales.

A Mexican couple stopped by and was very interested. They did not speak a word of English, so I had to make the entire presentation in Spanish. I sat on one side of the kitchen table while the husband, wife and teenage son sat at the other. A few small children were playing on the floor nearby.

All went well. They were excited. We completed all the paperwork and the sale was successful. An appointment was made for a crew to come and install their heating system. They were happy and I had another commission coming.

As I was collecting my paperwork and getting ready to leave, the husband casually asked what he should do about the little kids going in and out, leaving the door open and letting the heat out? It was more just a friendly conversational question.

I responded with what I thought meant merely a hit or slap, but that street language fooled me. The husband and teenager both stared at me wide eyed. The wife turned beet red and left the room in tears. When the guys realized I truly did not quite understand what I had said, they both roared in laughter. The wife never did accept any apology.

After I got back home, I called the local university and asked to speak to the Spanish Professor. When I explained what had happened and what I had said, his first response was an amazed "and you are still alive to ask me?"

Let's just say that particular street word meant a whole lot more than a hit or slap.

So yes, I sort of know some Spanish, but only enough to put my foot in my mouth. :oops:

Yes, it can be tricky when talking in another language. It is not just about meanings, but expressions and feelings as well.

-- 16 Nov 2018, 17:39 --

One more. Perhaps you might find this an unusual one. But here it is :
Do you think that Online Pay to discuss or Pay to write sites or even Ad clicking sites should share an annual Profit and Loss statement and perhaps an Annual Vision statement with something like :
"We plan 10% increase in OI by date X or we plan to bring features abc or def by June of this year" and so on?

ptrikha21

Postby OldGuy » 16 Nov 2018, 23:16

From my own observations, it seems that most sites have an owner or shared owners. Some have an added administer or added moderators. The site itself is their personal creation, owned and operated independently.

In most cases, they are not any kind of public utility or even operated by any government agency. Their profits and losses are personal information and there is no obligation for them to share that private information with those who join and chose to participate on the site. That falls under the label: "none of your business". Members are not stock holders.

In the case of ForumCoin, Fergal has publicly stated several times that this site operates at a loss. He has been covering all site expense and paying all members out of his own pocket while they try different advertising programs to raise funds.

As for publishing anything about an annual vision statement, There is a lot of trial and error involved. They might make plans that sound very nice, but finding ways to implement those plans can change the outcome long before it can actually happen. When asked, Fergal and Cyberfreak have both provided "best answers" of what they hope to achieve, but to post it as any kind of annual vision statement would be a tall order. Some of their plans stated as far back as the first year have not happened yet.

Again, each site has their own system of operation and it is entirely the business of the site owner what they want to share. I don't think it is the place for those who join in to use any site to demand what they should share with those members.

Enjoy and use the site. If you don't like it, you might be able to submit suggestions, but don't expect it to happen, or even to get any response. If that is not enough, most of us are left with continuing the search to find which site or sites keeps our interest and satisfaction without the need to know private details.

OldGuy

Postby ptrikha21 » 17 Nov 2018, 17:57

OldGuy wrote:From my own observations, it seems that most sites have an owner or shared owners. Some have an added administer or added moderators. The site itself is their personal creation, owned and operated independently.

In most cases, they are not any kind of public utility or even operated by any government agency. Their profits and losses are personal information and there is no obligation for them to share that private information with those who join and chose to participate on the site. That falls under the label: "none of your business". Members are not stock holders.

In the case of ForumCoin, Fergal has publicly stated several times that this site operates at a loss. He has been covering all site expense and paying all members out of his own pocket while they try different advertising programs to raise funds.

As for publishing anything about an annual vision statement, There is a lot of trial and error involved. They might make plans that sound very nice, but finding ways to implement those plans can change the outcome long before it can actually happen. When asked, Fergal and Cyberfreak have both provided "best answers" of what they hope to achieve, but to post it as any kind of annual vision statement would be a tall order. Some of their plans stated as far back as the first year have not happened yet.

Again, each site has their own system of operation and it is entirely the business of the site owner what they want to share. I don't think it is the place for those who join in to use any site to demand what they should share with those members.

Enjoy and use the site. If you don't like it, you might be able to submit suggestions, but don't expect it to happen, or even to get any response. If that is not enough, most of us are left with continuing the search to find which site or sites keeps our interest and satisfaction without the need to know private details.

Well answered. That very well answers what I was looking for. So, perhaps we need to attract more advertisements to this site to get more revenues!

ptrikha21

Postby talkerbee » 18 Nov 2018, 07:33

OldGuy wrote:I have been using my personal collection to benefit the site by sharing them with other members to improve content, as rewards for finding several hidden "Easter Egg" surprises in my content,

Hey, OldGuy! Are you still planting easter egg? I haven't much time online but still I'm interested to hunt those.

talkerbee

Referrals: 26
ForumCoin: 34

Postby OldGuy » 18 Nov 2018, 11:25

Hey, OldGuy! Are you still planting easter egg? I haven't much time online but still I'm interested to hunt those.

I think you found most of them, not sure if any old ones are still lingering. I have not posted any of them lately, since I'm spending so much time learning all that is involved with moderator duties and keeping up with the "FC Achievements" postings.

My most recent priority:

I've been putting forward an extra push to get more members to pass out positive reputation points when they encounter quality content that adds value to the topics more than anything else. The reputation percentage scores have been falling for months because most members are not giving them out when deserved. As a result, it has been very difficult to find members that earn those added FC donation awards for improved rep point quality scores. Even after I pay out the donations, the rep point percentages fall back down again for most.

OldGuy

Previous

Your Ad Here.

Return to AMAs