*** ForumCoin is Proudly Hosted by Hawk Host ***
ForumCoin is an online community where you earn ForumCoin for making posts and for referring other members. You can use the ForumCoin virtual currency to buy and sell goods and services and to exchange for traditional currencies. Find out more!
BMF Banner Ad
Get paid up to 150 ForumCoin to submit your article.

Blogging Advice : WordPress Users : Categories and Tags Are Key to SEO

Postby cmoneyspinner » 12 Jul 2017, 18:42

My son is a Wordpress loyalist. Whereas I am undecided and prefer to continue experimenting with various publishing platforms (since they're free to try :) ), he says for his money, Wordpress is the best blogging platform out there. While he has not quite won me over, I must admit some of recommendations and suggestions do carry a lot of weight. For one thing, he told me to be very particular about my categories and tags as they have a critical impact on SEO. This was my understanding right from the start, which is why I tried to keep my categories as general and specific as possible. But it was good to hear him confirm that my understanding was correct.

RE: CATEGORIES

My blog was started two years ago, so it's time to do an evaluation and assessment. In the beginning, I made an arbitrary decision to limit my topic categories to no more than 10 because it's easier to manage. Also, I picked topics that I noticed blogging communities used for their posting categories, as a guide.

I maintain two work at home blogs, but only one is on the WordPress platform. Based on my son's advice, I revisited my categories and tags created for this blog and gave them a good tweaking. This is my current list of topic categories. This is my first time undertaking such a project but I am certain that it will be time well spent. Of course, I won't really know until I see the traffic flow increasing. :)

1. Education
2. Entertainment
3. Food and Drink
4. Lifestyle
5. Shopping
6. Thoughts and Opinions
7. Travel
8. Work at Home
9. Writing Work
10. Uncategorized

RE: TAGS

With regards to my tags, I believe I am guilty of overtagging. Blogging experts advise that this is not a good practice and it can impact SEO adversely. In other words, excessive tagging "confuses" the search engines and they don't know how to rank your content. I did a quickie review and realized that I have over a thousand (1000) tags for about one hundred (100) blog entries. At one of the writing communities where I publish short articles, they have a "tagging rule". No more than 6 tags are allowed per post. If I follow their rule for my own blog, that would mean that I should have about 600 relevant tags for my posts. I have double that amount. It won't be that difficult to get rid of the excess tags but it's another project that will probably take a few hours. It's on my “ToDo List”.

QUESTIONS:

(1) If you are blogger using the Wordpress platform do you agree that it's the best blogging platform or do you prefer a different application?

(2) Also, regardless of which platform you use, how often do you revisit and revise the categories and tags that you created when you initially set up your blog?

Here are some references or links of interest that should supply useful advice and help.

What are Blog Tags, Categories and Subcategories? | spinutech.com
https://www.spinutech.com/blog/digital-marketing/what-are-blog-tags/

How to Use Categories Properly in WordPress for SEO & Usability | shoutmeloud.com
https://www.shoutmeloud.com/importance-of-proper-categories-for-better-seo.html

Using Category and Tag Pages for SEO | yoast.com
https://yoast.com/category-seo/

The Importance of Categories and Tags for SEO | meredithcommunications.com
http://www.meredithcommunications.com/importance-categories-tags-seo/

WordPress Categories vs Tags: How Do I Use Them on My Blog? | wpsitecare.com
https://www.wpsitecare.com/wordpress-categories-vs-tags/

cmoneyspinner

Referrals: 10
ForumCoin: 1,835

Banner Ad

Re: Blogging Advice : WordPress Users : Categories and Tags Are Key to SEO

Postby jackchun » 13 Jul 2017, 02:33

Thx

May I know what monetization method can be used in a free WordPress subdomain hosting there?( like adsense network, affiliate program, Amazon associate, selling digital products etc)

And may I know what programming skills do I need to build a Protofilo using WordPress ?

thx

jackchun

ForumCoin: 1,504

Postby raaman » 13 Jul 2017, 04:48

Very good and very great article. I have bookmarked it. I have to learn a lot from it. Thank you for sharing.

raaman

ForumCoin: 2,973

Postby cmoneyspinner » 13 Jul 2017, 15:30

jackchun wrote:Thx

May I know what monetization method can be used in a free WordPress subdomain hosting there?( like adsense network, affiliate program, Amazon associate, selling digital products etc)

And may I know what programming skills do I need to build a Protofilo using WordPress ?

thx

* * For these types of questions you need to go directly to WordPress Admin and Support. They have detailed Help advice.

cmoneyspinner

Referrals: 10
ForumCoin: 1,835

Your Ad Here.

Return to Articles & Tutorials