New: Contest June 1 to June 30 - Prize 100 FC Close
ForumCoin is an online community where you earn ForumCoin for making posts and for referring other members. You can use the ForumCoin virtual currency to buy and sell goods and services and to exchange for traditional currencies. Find out more!
Get paid up to 150 ForumCoin to submit your article.

Work-at-Home Advice: How To Use the Wayback Machine

Postby cmoneyspinner » 23 Mar 2019, 17:10

A friend of mine on Facebook asked this question and I responded. I'm going to repeat myself because … it bears repeating; and elaborate further on my response. I really think these tips will help others who publish online content.

Lots of people are smart enough to keep backup copies of their documents on a hard drive, flash drive, Google docs, whatever, wherever.

But! Did you know that you could use the Wayback Machine to create a backup copy of your content? Saving your content via the Wayback Machine serves 2 purposes.

Number 1: It makes a backup copy of what your published content looked like on a specific date on the Internet.

Number 2: If anybody ever copies your content or plagiarizes your work at a later date, you have an archived copy to produce in your defense.

I have learned these lessons the hard way.

I learned that if you know the URL of the content you're looking for, you can check to see if the Wayback Machine has an archived copy. That wasn't hard. That part was easy.

The hard part was learning that the Wayback Machine does NOT always have archived copies because even though it crawls the web, it may not crawl the site where your content is published. Even if it does crawl that site it may not crawl the specific page where your content was published. So even if you do know the URL, when you check you might find that an archived or cached copy is not in the database.

If you did not keep a backup copy in your files somewhere and there is no archived copy on the Wayback Machine, then you're probably screwed! You lost all your work!

If you don't know the URL, I'm not sure how you can find your content. I've tried to search the Wayback Machine without the URL and all of my searches were FAILURES.

time-machine-2730490_960_720.jpg
time-machine-2730490_960_720.jpg (70.78 KiB) Viewed 56 times

Here's a TIP! :idea:

Save your URL to the Wayback Machine. It is a great way to make a backup copy.

Go to the site's home page you will see a box that says “Save Page Now”. Copy your URL into that box and click “Save Page”. It doesn't cost anything. It's free. It is a non-profit organization. So every once in a while I make a small donation via PayPal to this site to keep it going. It's worth it!

When I save my URL via the Wayback Machine, I go to my bookmarks, create a folder and save the Wayback links in my bookmarks for future reference.

For my own personal example, I had content published at two websites. By the time I heard the news that they were shutting down, it was almost time for the sites to shut down. I only had maybe a couple of weeks to grab my content before it disappeared. Did I panic? Oh no! I went to the Wayback Machine and saved all of my posts. The archived links were generated and I made a folder and saved them as bookmarks. When I got ready to republish my content, I just went to the archived link, copied and edited my content, and republished it.

I did not have time to grab my content and republish elsewhere immediately. Saving my pages to the Wayback Machine allowed me to take my time finding a new home for my content. Some of my articles were published at my blogs and some republished in social communities like Virily.

Have you ever used this tool for creating archived copies of your content?

LINKS OF INTEREST:

Internet Archive: Wayback Machine
“The Wayback Machine is a digital archive of the World Wide Web and other information on the Internet. It was launched in 2001 by the Internet Archive, a nonprofit organization based in San Francisco, California, United States.” (Source: Wikipedia)

The Use and Purpose of the Internet's 'Wayback Machine'

Inside Wayback Machine, the internet’s time capsule

How Much Of The Internet Does The Wayback Machine Really Archive?

cmoneyspinner

Referrals: 7
ForumCoin: 358

Re: Work-at-Home Advice: How To Use the Wayback Machine

Postby fergus1234 » 23 Mar 2019, 18:38

Whoa I get to find my Bubblews articles because of this. I can't believe I will ever see a copy of those again!

fergus1234

ForumCoin: 1,499

Postby cmoneyspinner » 24 Mar 2019, 00:05

fergus1234 wrote:Whoa I get to find my Bubblews articles because of this. I can't believe I will ever see a copy of those again!

You might find them. Do you know the URLs? If not it might be hard to retrieve them. I used to write for a site called Squidoo. HUBPages acquired. I accidentally found archived copies of some of my pages on the Wayback Machine. Not because I knew the URLs. It was an accidental discovery.

cmoneyspinner

Postby suny » 24 Mar 2019, 02:22

I used to keep all urls of all my articles in a folio until 2013-14 but then I became lazy and stopped it (I did it for the purpose of sharing them on social media). But once the sites started going down like nine pins I lost interest. By the way, I have all my articles posted on Bubblews, Triond, Squido, Experts Column and many other sites and their url. But most of these urls take me nowhere since almost all these sites are closed and I can't even see the cache result of any of my posts. Good for me, I can use some of them as and when I feel like. I have all my articles in different drives because I always save them in a separate site-wise folio. I will certainly have a look at Wayback, thanks.

suny

Referrals: 63
ForumCoin: 341

Postby fergus1234 » 25 Mar 2019, 16:53

Yup I already find them and save them copies. I was thinking of rewriting them for the modern era.

fergus1234

Postby cmoneyspinner » 25 Mar 2019, 19:01

@suny- That's the positive. If you can't find cached copies anywhere and you know it's your stuff, breathe new life into it and publish it again.

cmoneyspinner

Postby sofs » 26 Mar 2019, 01:36

I almost forgot about the way back machine. I haven't used it in years, I wish i had my urls saved I could get so many of my articles back. Thanks for this reminder.

sofs

ForumCoin: 2,634

Postby fergus1234 » 26 Apr 2019, 18:33

I just get to find a forum I joined during my childhood that got deleted. I now get read some of its glorious content.

fergus1234

Return to Articles & Tutorials