ForumCoin Special Offer: Free ForumCoin Exchanges Close
Forum Coin is an online community where you earn Forum Coin for making posts and referring other members. You can use that Forum Coin as a virtual currency to buy and sell goods and services and to exchange for traditional, real world currencies. Find out more!
Get paid up to 150 ForumCoin to submit your article.

WordPress HTTPS Website analytics setup using Google Analytics and Google Search Console

Postby skysnap » 10 Sep 2018, 07:29

Google chrome and Firefox is forcing the HTTPS on the website. So many blogs are slowly moving to the HTTPS through the let's encrypt. And here you can see that your Googel analytics and the search console data needs to be updated for this change. So in this article, I am going to show you some of the options that allow you to update this data for the HTTPS change. So take a look at the below explaination.

Let's take a look at how to setup for the HTTPS tracking in Google Analytics.

1. Setup HTTPS Tracking with Google Analytics'

Firs thing that you may need to do is login to the google analytics. Check your admin dashboard. Select your website that has migrated to the HTTPS. And then go for the settings pages and follow the steps below.

Go to View Settings.
Click on property settings.
Check for the website URL.
Change the HTTP in the dropdown with the HTTPS.
Save the settings.

Now let the analytics have 1 hour to 48 hours to update these settings. I suggest making use of this change after 24 hours next when you migrate to the HTTPS.

2. Setup HTTPS Tracking with Google Search Console

Google search console also requires manual setup for tracking the HTTPS. Just like google analytics here you have to setup the property and get the tracking code. And now here you have to follow the similar steps but slightly different with the interface and the acceptance options. So here are some of the options that you can check out.

Login to Google Search Console
Check the property which migrated to HTTPS
Go to property settings.
Click on the gear icon for the settings.
In the prefered domains, select the HTTPS in the option.

That's all. Make sure to save your settings. Making these changes and then tracking with the new data takes time. So I suggest you to make sure to start your tracking after 4 hours to 48 hours after these changes take effect.

Do these settings possible to be done with other analytics like Bing sitemaps and other analytics websites?

I can tell you for sure almost every analytics have the option to track the HTTPS website. You just have to manually set the options. And then let the bots check for the sites in 48 hours again. That would set the triggers for the websites to crawl back again for the website data changes.

Bing allows you to do the HTTPS too. For example, you have to add the property and then edit the URL address. You get to change the HTTPS over there. That should be a good option for you to change and it should be taken for 24 hours. That should also update the stats. You can check out and see if you can work around in that case.

Setting up HTTPS for your blog or website is necessary these days. And that means your analytics sources need to be changed as well. If you follow the steps explained above then I am sure you'd be able to track the traffic easily.

skysnap

ForumCoin: 1,124

Return to Articles & Tutorials