ForumCoin Special Offer: Free ForumCoin Exchanges Close
Forum Coin is an online community where you earn Forum Coin for making posts and referring other members. You can use that Forum Coin as a virtual currency to buy and sell goods and services and to exchange for traditional, real world currencies. Find out more!
Get paid up to 150 ForumCoin to submit your article.

Do You Use the Pinning Feature for Your Important Social Media Posts?

Postby cmoneyspinner » 31 May 2017, 22:16

If you have been active on social media for a while then you can probably remember a time when you shared something of significance and it got lost or buried in the post stream. You had no other choice but to post the link all over again. Why? Because if your social network is growing and you shared the post over a year ago, your newer followers and friends may not ever see the post because they don't have the patience to go back that far into your posts.

To fix this, Facebook, Twitter and Google Plus all came up with the idea of “pinning a post” to your profile or your page.

A good analogy is like when you have a cork bulletin board and you use a push pin to pin a note to the board, so that it's always there IN YOUR FACE!

What does pinning do?

Let's say you have a very important link or post that you want anybody who visits your profile or page to see, no matter when they became a part of your social network.

For example, I have a particular tweet that I want anybody who visits my Twitter profile to see. I click on the drop-down box for that tweet and select the option to “Pin to Profile Page”. That tweet will no longer get lost in the post stream. Every time someone visits your profile, they will see that tweet. Why? Because it's the first tweet. No matter which date it was posted, it shows before all of my other tweets. It's the tweet I want everybody to see.

Another example, for my Google Plus profile and/or business page, if I have a particular post I want to stay on top, click the drop-down box and click “Pin to Profile”. Works great. Especially when it's a holiday and you want to pin a link wishing everybody “Happy Holidays!”

Same thing for Facebook but not for your profile; only for your business page. You can “Pin to Top of Page”. If there is a way to pin a post to your profile timeline, I haven't figured it out.

One last thing:
You can just as easily UNpin a link as you can PIN a link.

So no worries if you want to switch it out later and use another one.

Why should you do this?

Let's say you share a post that has a link to your website or blog? You don't want that kind of information to get lost in your social media activity. Why? Because if they like the posts or links or you share, they may want to go to your website or blog and see what else you do! So you pin that specific link, so that it can always be visible.

So I'll ask the question again.

* Do You Use the Pinning Feature for Your Important Social Media Posts?

♦ ♦ ♦

Pinterest has a similar feature. It's not called “pinning” because obviously everything you do on Pinterest is pinning. With a specific pinboard, you can choose a particular pin that you like or that you think will grab the visitor's attention as soon as they arrive at your profile page. The image for your “Cover pin” shows larger than the other images and will like attract interest, so people will want to view more pins on the board. If you don't know how to do this, click “Edit” on your pinboard. Look for “Cover” and click “change” and choose the pin you always want visitors to see; then “Save”.

If the cover pin you choose is also an affiliate link, this could earn you income from sales.

So my other related question is: * Do You Have a Cover Pin for Your Pinterest Boards?

Hope you find this information helpful. :)

cmoneyspinner

Referrals: 6
ForumCoin: 238

Re: Do You Use the Pinning Feature for Your Important Social Media Posts?

Postby ken alto » 02 Jun 2017, 20:03

No I don't pin my posts reason being I don't use social media that much. I've got very few followers and so I don't see it necessary to pin posts. But the feature is cool. You don't have to keep posting the same thing whenever you want people to remember it.

ken alto

ForumCoin: 423

Postby cmoneyspinner » 06 Jun 2017, 15:23

ken alto wrote:No I don't pin my posts reason being I don't use social media that much. I've got very few followers and so I don't see it necessary to pin posts. But the feature is cool. You don't have to keep posting the same thing whenever you want people to remember it.

* * Any particular reason why you don't use social media? What methods do you use to get traffic to your websites or blogs? I would love to know if there is another way to circulate my work, in addition to social media? Evidently the tech giants think so much of social media they compete fiercely with each other. First there was Facebook and Twitter. Then Pinterest jumped in. The Google created Google Plus. LinkedIn still fights for their share of the social network. Tumblr has their place in the grand scheme of things. Then there are other sites like Plurk.

So if you don't use social media, tell me your secret for reaching your audience?

cmoneyspinner

Postby raaman » 08 Jun 2017, 10:51

Interesting article. I was not knowing about pinning on twitter, facebook and pinterest. In this way, can we 'pin' all our links to our profile page and thus avoid the problem of retweeting but only tweet the profile page once in a while. Will it work? I would like to know your estimated opinion.

raaman

ForumCoin: 1,307

Postby cmoneyspinner » 08 Jun 2017, 17:35

raaman wrote:Interesting article. I was not knowing about pinning on twitter, facebook and pinterest. In this way, can we 'pin' all our links to our profile page and thus avoid the problem of retweeting but only tweet the profile page once in a while. Will it work? I would like to know your estimated opinion.

* * Yes. It does work. I have used it quote successfully. I have had pinned links that are several months old that people Plus One or retweet or whatever. Also, I change them - UNPIN and then PIN another. It's a handy feature, if your social networks are growing and you want to direct new followers to your websites or blogs.

cmoneyspinner

Postby purple19 » 09 Jun 2017, 02:06

I don't use pinning feature

purple19

ForumCoin: 348

Postby bestwriter » 09 Jun 2017, 05:13

I think we have that facility at myLot to pin our blogs in our profile there. I do not have much to pin but I will remember this when the time comes. May be we could pin our writing site links?

Good article

bestwriter

ForumCoin: 691

Postby cmoneyspinner » 09 Jun 2017, 14:51

bestwriter wrote:I think we have that facility at myLot to pin our blogs in our profile there. I do not have much to pin but I will remember this when the time comes. May be we could pin our writing site links?

Good article

* * Thank you. Actually MyLot just lets you put your website or blog link in your profile bio. That's not the same as "pinning". Pinning is when you have a particular post or link and you don't want it to get lost in your social media post stream. It's when you stick a post or share on top of all your other posts so that every time anybody who visits your timeline will always see that particular post. You may have published and shared that posts in 2014. But it's 2017 now and a new visitor doesn't have to come through 3 years worth of posts just to find that one which leads them to wherever it is you're trying to get them to go. Why? Because it's the first post they see when they click to view your profile or business page. Understand? It works well for me since I've been online for over 5 years.

-- 09 Jun 2017, 08:52 --

purple19 wrote:I don't use pinning feature

* * Why not? Are you on social media?

cmoneyspinner

Postby Angie10 » 09 Jun 2017, 15:01

You know, I've only ever used it twice. I should probably use it a lot more. I do a lot more whenever I visit Pinterest, then again I'm hardly ever there because I have my hands full. Pinterest is too addicting, so I try to avoid it LOL Love it too much!

Angie10

Referrals: 4
ForumCoin: 598

Return to Articles & Tutorials