ForumCoin Special Offer: Free ForumCoin Exchanges Close
ForumCoin is an online community where you earn ForumCoin for making posts and for referring other members. You can use the ForumCoin virtual currency to buy and sell goods and services and to exchange for traditional currencies. Find out more!
Get paid up to 150 ForumCoin to submit your article.

Home remedies for colds

Postby fergus1234 » 09 Nov 2019, 04:44

Winter is coming so I am expecting a lot of people to have a red nose like Santa's famous reindeer. Having a clogged nose can be a pain in the neck because it will affect your appetite because foods will be dull tasting and you will have a hard time to sleep . The best prevention is to eat foods rich with vitamin C, exercise, dont smoke, Sleep with clothes on if the climate is cold, and take a rest.

This more for curing it. For sure the best cure is taking a medication but these tips will help you supplement your medication for a faster recovery.

1. Stop drinking cold beverages-

If you are so used to drink cold water, You have to sacrifice that privilege as room temperature and warm drinks will be better for you. Cold beverages will aggravate your throat so it can make your situation much worse. That simple colds can transform into cough or worst pneumonia. I know it felts great to drink cold drinks but settle for room temperature and warm drinks to soothe your throat. Singers are actually banned from drinking cold drinks as it can ruin their throat and breathing. Aside from curing your cold, You will be able to sing better if you stop drinking cold drinks for life. You can still drink cold drinks during summer but not in Spring, winter and fall.

2.Avoid all kinds of smoke-
Don't smoke cigars , don't commute on air polluted place and dont grill something on the barbecue grill. Stay at home and go to a place with fresh air. This tip is actually both a prevention and cure. Just dont put any kind of carbonated gas inside your lungs. The only thing your lungs must have is fresh air. We already live in an air polluted world, don't intentionally pollute your lungs.

3. Eat warm and hot foods.
I recommend soups the most, especially spicy ones as it will make you sweat and sweating can help you breathe better. I am sure your family have it's own recipes of spicy soups that can help you with your recovery. Add some vegetables on the soup too for extra nutrition.

4. If you are craving sweets.Eat fruits instead of those high sugar and have lactose desserts.

Those sweets will make your breathing problems worst but we understand you are human and you crave sweets, so replace them with fruits instead. Dairy and refined sugar can make your colds much worst and you might even end up having cough which is worse than colds.

5.Hot toddy-
https://i.snipboard.io/z7H6RY.jpg

Hot toddy is a traditional drink from Scotland used for curing colds. Based from my own experience, it actually works. There are many versions and recipes for this hot drink.

The traditional version works like this. Boil a mug of water, 2 teaspoons of honey, a stick of a cinnamon,4 pieces of cloves, Juice of a fresh orange or lemon (any citrus fruit and once its hot. Serve it on a mug and drink) and 2 teaspoons of any alcoholic drink available.

6.Take a rest- This is the perfect time to be lazy. You will recover faster you take a rest. Having a cold is basically your body telling you to slow down. You are not a machine, you needed to sleep until you feel better.

7.Drink a lot of water- Earlier I advised you to stop drinking cold drinks but you should not stop drinking liquids. Your body needs water. Water can help dilute all the thick phlegm stuck on your respiratory system.

8.Vapor rubs, Menthol oils and topical pain killer- Rub them your neck, throat and back and you can sleep better and you will feel less disturbed by the snot clogging your nose.

fergus1234

ForumCoin: 949

Re: Home remedies for colds

Postby anil02 » 09 Nov 2019, 11:50

Here minimum temperature drop up to 12 degree in coming month we have less than 5 degree temperature here. Yours tips are useful in preventing cold problem.

anil02

Referrals: 3
ForumCoin: 159

Postby Angie10 » 09 Nov 2019, 17:19

Those are all good and probably work for many. But my go-to colds and flu remedy is a concoction of garlic and honey. Honestly, I rarely get a cold or the flu! Sometimes when I feel like walking on the wild side, I add a bit of lemon and crushed garlic. It's not the nicest in terms of test, but it absolutely works!

Angie10

Referrals: 4
ForumCoin: 1,528

Postby fergus1234 » 09 Nov 2019, 18:34

I will pass on the garlic, I dont like to have garlic breath. But I do know its health properties. garlic pills can be a great alternative. I like hot toddy the most based on my experience

fergus1234

Postby anil02 » 10 Nov 2019, 10:24

fergus1234 wrote:I will pass on the garlic, I dont like to have garlic breath. But I do know its health properties. garlic pills can be a great alternative. I like hot toddy the most based on my experience

Not only is cold garlic is also helpful in some another help problem life gastric problem and it is also good for health of hurt. Garlic have problem of its smell otherwise it is not less than honeydew.

anil02

Postby a_jerobon » 11 Nov 2019, 14:28

It is so cold here this month but I have not had any colds like I would have had in the past. Eating fruits instead of sweets has been really helpful. I also prefer eating hot food instead of cold.

a_jerobon

Referrals: 1
ForumCoin: 199

Postby fergus1234 » 11 Nov 2019, 15:25

Oh I failed to embed the picture of hot toddy

This season, people should let go of cold drinks for now because colds and cough is not a fun experience to deal with.

fergus1234

Postby ceci » Yesterday, 02:35

Thanks for those home remedies, the kids are very excited when look at the red nose of Santa's reindeer.
I quit cold drinks most of the time of possible nowadays for better health reason.

ceci

Referrals: 5
ForumCoin: 3,538

Postby anil02 » Yesterday, 11:46

ceci wrote:Thanks for those home remedies, the kids are very excited when look at the red nose of Santa's reindeer.
I quit cold drinks most of the time of possible nowadays for better health reason.

All food are not suitable on all location. In winter we must be avoid cold food and tried to eat hot one. Cold is also better to eat heavy and oily food.

anil02

Postby Sojourn » Yesterday, 12:35

On the contrary,we become more active in these colder months as it does not give us the perspiration that we seem to have all throughout our summers.The cold here tells us to get active and less energy loss happens and we seem to grow our appetite.

Sojourn

ForumCoin: 396

Postby Angie10 » Yesterday, 15:35

fergus1234 wrote:I will pass on the garlic, I dont like to have garlic breath. But I do know its health properties. garlic pills can be a great alternative. I like hot toddy the most based on my experience

Hahaha garlic breath is not good at all! But obviously, you'd have to take other measures to ensure your breath doesn't stink :lol: I floss, use mouth rinse, brush as well as chew on mint gum whenever I have my 'magic concoction' to ensure I don't drive people away. Honestly, my husband would tell me if I stank LOL

Angie10

Referrals: 4
ForumCoin: 1,528

Postby blair » Yesterday, 16:41

I usually squeeze any citrus fruit available and make a lukewarm lemonade. It works all the time when I am down with colds or flu symptoms. Most over the counter meds I know makes me feel groggy and sleepy I did not want that so a natural home remedy like a fruit is cool for me

blair

ForumCoin: 585

Postby fergus1234 » Yesterday, 19:37

@blair a non alcoholic version of hot toddy, that is interesting. I will also prefer that over garlic.

fergus1234

Postby ckoch » Yesterday, 22:26

I take vitamins like crazy and here they are:
hair skin and nails
vitamin d
vitamin c
garlic which helps with infections
b5 for helping lowering my cholesterol
also take tocotrenols for that purpose (expensive)
turmeric for joint pain
apple cider vinager which helps allergies, and stomach
a spoonful of honey every nite for stopping my acid reflux (works)
magnesium
potassium
co ensigm 2-10 for circulation
oil of oregano helps with infections
krill oil which helps with lowering cholesterol as well.

and I can't think of anything else except in the fall I need alfalfa for allergies it really clears your head and you take with c.
and BLACK SEED OIL - steps spasms, helps with diabetes, and a lot of other things I like it a lot it really helps me.

I rarely get a cold. I rarely get anything. plus I eat keto and while my mom and I used to get weird illnesses as well we have
found they never show up either. I know that's hard core but I recommend the whole strategy if you want to be healthy.

-- 12 Nov 2019, 17:38 --

Angie10 wrote:Those are all good and probably work for many. But my go-to colds and flu remedy is a concoction of garlic and honey. Honestly, I rarely get a cold or the flu! Sometimes when I feel like walking on the wild side, I add a bit of lemon and crushed garlic. It's not the nicest in terms of test, but it absolutely works!

People do NOT realize the value of honey. It took me 3 years to totally clear up my acid reflux taking that and a little apple cider vinager. I told my family about it once no twice and they think I'm an idiot. When I told them it took 3 years they got absolutely hysterical mind you they all still have their acid reflux I guess they'd rather take horrible bad for you meds or live with it till they have to have their necks turned inside out. I don't get it. But OK. I totally agree with you the honey with garlic idea is right on I believe you that you do not get sick. I don't either.

ckoch

ForumCoin: 63

Return to Articles & Tutorials