ForumCoin Special Offer: Free ForumCoin Exchanges Close
ForumCoin is an online community where you earn ForumCoin for making posts and for referring other members. You can use the ForumCoin virtual currency to buy and sell goods and services and to exchange for traditional currencies. Find out more!
Get paid up to 150 ForumCoin to submit your article.

How to raise livestock animals without buying feeds.

Postby fergus1234 » 27 Aug 2019, 15:49

I am a Psychology graduate who was never able to find a job that has something to do with the course I finished. So I end up working as a freelance write, online English teacher and now a Farmer. I am currently farming ducks and geese but at certain point I use to farm goat,sheep, chicken and even cows. So I think I am very qualified to write this article.

Here is the thing most farmers suffer financially because they have to buy feeds. These commercial kibbles people have to buy regularly and I find them very expensive. I also hate the chore of feeding animals. So I used a system where animals will feed themselves. I also hate the smell of feeds. They stink really bad.

Many farmers and homesteaders are slaves of these GMO and chemical rich feeds and also feeding animals can be a chore. Guess what I do not feed my livestock! My livestock feed themselves. The only thing I provide them is water. How did this happen?

Well before I started buying my animals. I make sure I have land. Well I already have hectares of land and I divided it with fences . The size of the land you have should depend on what animals are you breeding. If you are breeding cattle or ostrich you will need a very very big land. My land is not that big so I decided to do waterfowls. I am talking about ducks and geese.

This system works for all animals that eats grass, weeds, forage and maybe bugs.

Make sure your land is covered with weeds ,forage and plants. This is not a step by step tutorial, this is just me explaining my system because free ranging animals without buying feeds is possible as long as you started prepared. Before starting a permaculture free range farm, Make sure your land have been divided with fences and the whole place is covered with weeds and forages.

The picture above is a map of the place where I live. My homestead to be specific. Though I farm ducks, I believe this system can work with goats, sheep, emu and all animals that can live on a grass and weeds diet.(In case of birds though, they will also eat the bugs)

I will explain everything you see on that map above. The gray lines are the fences I used to divide my land in different section. The divisions are important so my ducks and geese will not over feed. The fences are also the security of my animals from predators and people with evil intentions. I survived terrorist attacks so you cannot blame me from being to paranoid from security. My whole place is fenced and walled. My neighbors are not even aware I have ducks.

The green boxes represent where my animals live. You may wonder why are there numbers? Well because I move my ducks and geese in rotation. The house shaped boxes represents the open air roofed waiting sheds , that's what they use as protection from the sun. If it rains and snows in your area, You need closed air barns to keep them warm instead of sheds with tarpaulin roofs.

On the first month of the year, My livestock animals lives on box number 1. They eat all the plants, grass and weeds of that area. I just give them clean water every 3 days. I just live them alone in peace walking and even swimming freely on that fenced yard. By the end of the month box number one will vegetation barred. The grass, weeds and plants are all gone. So I will open the door of the fence of box number one so the ducks and geese will move to box number 2 where all the forage and vegetation are plenty. Once everyone moved to the place where grass is greener I will close the door of Yard number 1 so It will recover and be covered in greens again. In just 2 months, Box number one will be covered by plants again because the manure the animals left fertilized the land. I also planted some veggies there while the animals are gone on the place they left because the place is fertilized after the animals left.

After a month, yard number 2 will be emptied by the animals so I will move them yard number 3. Then Use yard number 2 for vegetable farming because its fertilized and weeds free.

On the 4th month, they will live on the box number 4 so box number 3 can recover and grow weeds again.

Usually when the eggs of the mother ducks and geese had been hatched, I separate all the adult males and make them live on the brown box so they won't end up killing the babies. Drakes (Male ducks) and Ganders (Male geese) are jerks who bullies ducklings and goslings.

On the 5th month, everyone will go back to box number one because it's rich of green stuff again. Sometimes I trim the branches of my trees and use them as forage and feed for animals too. I never spent money on the feeds of my animals because I have an unlimited source that grows for free. I do admit though my water bills is a bit higher because I need a lot of water to make sure grasses and weeds will grow.

If you have questions, I will gladly answer all of them.

fergus1234

ForumCoin: 368

Re: How to raise livestock animals without buying feeds.

Postby ptrikha21 » 11 Sep 2019, 08:40

That is so wonderful and scientific! You can make a YouTube Video on this technique!

ptrikha21

Referrals: 1
ForumCoin: 235

Re: How to raise livestock animals without buying feeds.

Postby fergus1234 » 11 Sep 2019, 09:30

ptrikha21 wrote:and geese had been hatched, I separate all the adult males and make them live on the brown box so they won't end up killing the ba

I already did but its not in English though.A big land can make a difference with farming as I managed to keep my animals alive without relying on feeds. I am only doing this for 4 months. I use to be feeds dependent.

fergus1234

ForumCoin: 368

Return to Articles & Tutorials