ForumCoin Special Offer: Free ForumCoin Exchanges Close
Forum Coin is an online community where you earn Forum Coin for making posts and referring other members. You can use that Forum Coin as a virtual currency to buy and sell goods and services and to exchange for traditional, real world currencies. Find out more!
Get paid up to 150 ForumCoin to submit your article.

4 Reasons Why Freelancers Shouldn't Work for Free

Postby skysnap » 13 Feb 2018, 10:59

People assume that when freelancers start out any new skill they should work for free. And that assumption comes from the fact that employees are trained. And freelancers learn on their own for free. So this is where many clients want to save money. And this needs to be properly addressed. In this article, I want to point you to the fact that freelancers should not work for free.

Work Overload

When you price low you are going to get a lot of work. As that work won't be paid, client will give you one work after another. And that's a bad way to work. And you will get frustrated. You don't have to work for less or even free. Because that would only add more stress and anxiety in your life. So make sure to invest your time and money the right way. And that's how it should be thought about as well.

Opportunistic Clients

Free work means you attract opportunistic clients. Lot of clients on fiverr, upwork are desperate to make you work for low cost. And that means they are not going to pay you higher amount. And you can stop this. You can instead make sure that you are not doing anything unless you get paid. That is something you have to consider. Because once client get used to not paying you. That is going to be their habit. And that would be extremely hard to get over in such case.

Loss of Confidence

Working for free reduces your confidence. I think people who don't have confidence over their skills needs to think about how they are handling clients. If you have low confidence you are going to attract clients who take advantage of the offer you do to them. And that's something you should think twice about if you ask me. Because people are always out there to take advantage of you if you choose to ignore the same. So be very careful about that part.

Attracting Bad Clients

As you can see working for free attracts bad people. And it is the cycle that continues to grow and grow. And there does not seem to be an end to that. So you should be really careful how you manage the freelancing. And make sure you don't work for free in this case. Make sure you choose your options wisely in such case. So you may attract manipulative clients. And that's something is as worst as going broke.

As you can see how you put on effort to keep the client makes you money in the future. So make sure you don't appear desperate. And keep your head cool. And then make the most out of the client relationship. Avoid going through the free route. Because that may not work for you in the long term.

skysnap

ForumCoin: 1,520

Re: 4 Reasons Why Freelancers Shouldn't Work for Free

Postby raaman » 13 Feb 2018, 12:23

In the online world, whoever works or intends to work for free is a fool, I will say. As it is, we are paid peanuts and broken peanuts for our time and energy. Above that who will be a fool to work for free?

raaman

ForumCoin: 676

Postby skysnap » 13 Feb 2018, 13:11

raaman wrote:In the online world, whoever works or intends to work for free is a fool, I will say. As it is, we are paid peanuts and broken peanuts for our time and energy. Above that who will be a fool to work for free?

Lot of people do it. This is to get the online connections. There are also bad buyers on fiverr. who say if you bid low i will give you job.

skysnap

ForumCoin: 1,520

Postby darrensurrey » 13 Feb 2018, 14:47

Good article.

You have to manage clients carefully if you're going to do free stuff eg a short sampler rather than a full length piece of work. I've done a fair bit of free work, most of the time, I make money from it in the long term. :)

darrensurrey

ForumCoin: 320

Postby raaman » 13 Feb 2018, 16:56

skysnap wrote:There are also bad buyers on fiverr.

I agree with this. 'Bad' people who exploit others are always around.

raaman

ForumCoin: 676

Postby ceci » 14 Feb 2018, 04:24

Why the word "freelancers" started with the prefix :free? free for services or free style, or free of time?

But, sure no free lunch in this world, please pay with the minimum charge, at least.

ceci

Referrals: 3
ForumCoin: 1,151

Return to Articles & Tutorials