ForumCoin Special Offer: Free ForumCoin Exchanges Close
Forum Coin is an online community where you earn Forum Coin for making posts and referring other members. You can use that Forum Coin as a virtual currency to buy and sell goods and services and to exchange for traditional, real world currencies. Find out more!
Get paid up to 150 ForumCoin to submit your article.

3 Steps on How to Stop Negative Bias

Postby grecy0905 » 14 Nov 2017, 06:45

Negative Bias is when something happens and you already thinking negatively. It is what we call, “what ifs” sometimes that is full of crappy negativity words. For example, if you are sleeping and you heard a banging sound down the kitchen. You begin to think they are wild animals enter your house or a burglar maybe stealing something inside your house. You start to get stress without even knowing it officially. It gives you a warning, but it doesn’t stop you from feeling emotional. You will be full of anger and disgusts. You will say you need to have a knife to hurt them. No one will ever steal your things. It is a product of hard work. Then when you reached the kitchen, you see it is your dog. What happened to you now?

Negative bias happens before anxiety. It is the one that triggers it. Sometimes you call it overthinking, but over thinking is much more negative than being negative bias. All the three are negatives so do not entertain it. Here are the tips on how to stop negative bias.

Be Aware to Name it When it Shows On Your Face

Like on my example above, once negative bias strikes, you start to over think. You start to think that there is a burglar entering your house. He will steal your things, your money and if they saw you, they might kill you. You end up feeling stress but there is nothing happening. You spare yourself from stress. What you need to do is to prepare yourself to see it and respond to it once it is shown on your face. Name it once you see it. You don’t need to think lots of things. Preparing yourself for any kind of problem will able to focus you on solution alone. Overthinking and negative bias to be exact will only ruin everything. Acknowledge what’s going on once it happens.

Be Deliberately Distracted
Getting deliberately distracted will able to spare yourself from stress. It holds you to what you serve best. It prepares you to react with the right timing. If you are allowing your mind to think what you focus on, it shapes your brain. Make it a habit to focus on your priorities and write down what you need to do next. Deliberately distracted means when you are starting to feel the negative bias, you start to say NO. No to over thinking and negative bias. Start to hum a song or start to say “no to negative bias”. This is true. It will distract your brain from entertaining all the negativity that you will feel. Help yourself to shift your attention to more positive things. Just give your mind something else to focus on. Do not entertain the negativity once you feel it will sets in.

Apply the 20 Second Rule
20-second rule is the same as distracting yourself, but this has a limit of 20 seconds hoping it will be successful for you. Once you feel there is something trigger you to feel negative, apply this one. How to do it? Once you think you will be feeling negative, start to think any positive things from your past stories, a great weekend maybe, something sweet you received from someone, a good paycheck, an award or anything funny in the movies you watch. Start to cement those memories into your brain. You need to do this for 20 seconds. Just put some good stories in your brain and you need to do it immediately for 20 seconds. Make it a habit and the problem are solved.

grecy0905

Referrals: 11
ForumCoin: 220

Re: 3 Steps on How to Stop Negative Bias

Postby blair » 14 Nov 2017, 08:36

Oh that twenty second rule could be similar to the 5 second rule of Mel Robbins. She says if you feel like lazy to start on something count backwards using the 5 second rule say 5,4,3,2,1. Then you just tricked your brain into falling in to the trap of not accomplishing anything.

blair

ForumCoin: 200

Postby skysnap » 14 Nov 2017, 09:02

This was really handy. I suffer from anxiety and this issue. So this is really good for me. Much appreciated for this article.

skysnap

ForumCoin: 1,390

Postby nela13 » 14 Nov 2017, 12:49

I always think that the worst is going to happen and I often try to deal with my negative feelings and thoughts, I have been suffering from anxiety but I try to deal with it without medication. Thank you for this article, I will follow some of your tips :thumbup:

nela13

Referrals: 3
ForumCoin: 950

Postby grecy0905 » 14 Nov 2017, 14:01

blair wrote:Oh that twenty second rule could be similar to the 5 second rule of Mel Robbins. She says if you feel like lazy to start on something count backwards using the 5 second rule say 5,4,3,2,1. Then you just tricked your brain into falling in to the trap of not accomplishing anything.

Thanks for sharing this one. I never thought of this backward things. I know the 5 second rule before reacting to a problem and this one is new to me. Good thing you shared it.

-- 14 Nov 2017, 14:03 --

skysnap wrote:This was really handy. I suffer from anxiety and this issue. So this is really good for me. Much appreciated for this article.

Thank you. I have the habit of negative bias and I very willing to solve this issue.

-- 14 Nov 2017, 14:10 --

nela13 wrote:I always think that the worst is going to happen and I often try to deal with my negative feelings and thoughts, I have been suffering from anxiety but I try to deal with it without medication. Thank you for this article, I will follow some of your tips :thumbup:

I am suffering from anxiety too. I am trying to solve this issue because it is not helping me to live normally. I want to spare my short life with stress. I am happy that this article helps.

grecy0905

Referrals: 11
ForumCoin: 220

Postby Amans1234 » 14 Nov 2017, 14:19

thanks for the amazing article
keep up the great work.
you wrote very well, all things included are true.

Amans1234

ForumCoin: 499

Postby malot12 » 14 Nov 2017, 14:30

Most of the time negative thoughts are just everywhere, any seconds ready to attack. Mostly unhealthy and disadvantage but at times it shield us from pain too ^_^. "What if's" can be used both advantage and disadvantage. When things went wrong of which you are supposed to be on the scenario but you decide not to, the "what if" becomes positive for it helps you at least avoid the circumstance. The "what if" that becomes negative is when you are suppose to do but never did try then somethings happened that affects you strongly, you can't help it but regret and wishing that if you could just bring back the time, you will do what is supposed to be done. We cannot predict our future nor what will happened next, all that we could do is trust our guts and whatever decision that we made, we should stand to it, whatever it takes. ^_^

malot12

ForumCoin: 49

Postby ladyninja » 15 Nov 2017, 05:52

A motivational speaker (I think it was Zig Zigler) once said your attitude determines your altitude. It is very important not to allow whatever we are going through to dictate or control us. We can decide and choose to react positivie. It may be difficult but it is possible.

ladyninja

ForumCoin: 398

Postby ceci » 15 Nov 2017, 08:34

Nice tips, especially the 20 seconds rule. It should help me to reduce my negative bias and anxiety. :P

ceci

Referrals: 2
ForumCoin: 1,058

Postby Happyland » 16 Nov 2017, 17:31

Over-thinking can be very distracting. It can also lead to bias thoughts. Change thoughts by changing how you see something. Don't allow negativity to cloud your thoughts. For example an annoying person can get on your nerves if you allow yourself to be affected. Change the way you view that person and keep your responses in check. Think in a positive light as best you can and you will see good results. Do it for your own sense of health and peace of mind.;)

Happyland

ForumCoin: 1,540

Postby chikitta » 18 Nov 2017, 16:07

This is very true. Negativity is part of our lives but we should not let it take over our lives. The only way we can curb this is by facing the issue that is causing that negativity.

chikitta

Referrals: 1
ForumCoin: 165

Return to Articles & Tutorials