*** ForumCoin is Proudly Hosted by Hawk Host ***
ForumCoin is an online community where you earn ForumCoin for making posts and for referring other members. You can use the ForumCoin virtual currency to buy and sell goods and services and to exchange for traditional currencies. Find out more!
BMF Banner Ad
Ask Me Anything and Interviews. Start your AMA here.

AMA OldGuy

Postby OldGuy » 08 Dec 2017, 02:11

I have been active on this site since November 2017. Over time, my primary interest has been studying the site statistics as a personal form of entertainment. It is sort of a personal form of a private video game. The more complex it gets, the higher the level.

If you are interested in anything specific about the site stats, just ask.

I'll try to answer other questions about anything else, but that topic happens to be my personal area of interest.

Last edited by OldGuy on 23 Jul 2018, 03:49, edited 1 time in total.
OldGuy

Referrals: 1
ForumCoin: 1,657

Banner Ad

Re: AMA OldGuy

Postby Fergal » 14 Dec 2017, 11:00

Thanks for starting your AMA OldGuy.

What country do you live in? Have you ever lived in other countries?

Best Year Ever :D

Fergal
Site Admin

ForumCoin: 12,003

Postby OldGuy » 14 Dec 2017, 13:23

I was born and raised in NY state but have moved around over the years to several other states, still all in the US. I have visited both Canada and Mexico, but never established a residence in either. (Can't say I "didn't live there" because I didn't die while there either.) :D

OldGuy

Postby TeacherAngel » 14 Jan 2018, 12:45

Hi OldGuy! I'm Angel. Welcome to ForumCoin!

My first question for you, what was the weirdest news that you have ever read or heard of?

TeacherAngel

Referrals: 9
ForumCoin: 358

Postby OldGuy » 14 Jan 2018, 19:50

Unfortunately, the very weirdest news I can recall ever hearing was so obscene I can't even talk about it without violating terms of decency required for online forums.

Over the years, you begin to think you have heard it all when something even more bizarre comes along to make you wonder what could be next.

I think one of the weirdest news reports I can recall was about a guy who was high on bath salts of all things. I think it was in Florida, but I can't recall for certain. He was roaming the streets naked and had attacked someone he encountered who was just walking down the street. When the police showed up, they discovered he had eaten half the face off the guy he attacked. Pretty frightening to think who you might encounter when you are just out walking on public streets.

OldGuy

Postby TeacherAngel » 19 Jan 2018, 12:24

OMG. That's really frightening. :(

OK, my next question is, what was your childhood dream?

TeacherAngel

Referrals: 9
ForumCoin: 358

Postby talkerbee » 19 Jan 2018, 13:24

Hi OldGuy! :wave: My question for you, what is your unforgettable experience when you were living in New York?

talkerbee

Referrals: 26
ForumCoin: 34

Postby OldGuy » 19 Jan 2018, 13:39

Oh, boy. When I was very young, I had a series of nightmares that lasted for years. They finally went away by the time I was about 10. I can still remember them more than a half century later.

They started the same. A book came out of the mist and opened to a page of contents. The stories were all the same as if it was one book. ... and then one of the nightmares would begin. Each one was a terror in itself and continued until I woke up in a sweat.

I have not thought about those for years and don't want to have them start again.

I discovered I have a physical reaction to my dreams when I nearly broke my hand in a dreamt swing of my arm. My arm swung out and hit the headboard so hard my hand was swollen and black and blue for weeks after that one. I have slept with more than half a dozen pillows around me since then to keep from getting hurt in my sleep.

-- 19 Jan 2018, 09:53 --

It is hard to remember just one unforgettable experience. I lived in New York State for nearly half my life, but not all at once. I've moved around to several other states over the years, mostly due to employment.

I suppose a good one to recall was way back when I was still a kid. My oldest brother had gotten married and moved clear to Washington State for several years where he was stationed in the military. They had our very first nephew while living out there.

When he brought his family back to NY, they settled in a town that was about a 2 to 3 hour drive from our family home. My parents and the rest of us finally set a time to drive to their new home for a visit.

When we got to his town, we found ourselves in a downtown area, but had no idea how to get to his home. Back then, there were enclosed payphones on street corners and I volunteered to get out and make the call. I remember a lot of traffic noise during the call, so I had leaned close, cupped my hands around the earpiece and concentrated on his directions while I tried to ignore the traffic noise.

When I was done with the call, I was facing the storefronts and had not even looked at the street, but was surprised to see several members of my family getting out of the car with a strange look on their faces when I emerged from the phone booth. As I walked up to them, they seemed somehow relieved and asked me if I was OK. I had no idea why they seemed so upset.

They told me to look back where I had been. That traffic noise was an accident that happened during my call and one of the cars was leaning against that very same phone booth. I could have been crushed but never even knew it was there.

OldGuy

Postby Sam » 14 Mar 2018, 03:37

What has been the most interesting job you've had to date? :)

Sam

Referrals: 15
ForumCoin: 179

Postby OldGuy » 14 Mar 2018, 17:24

When I first joined the job market, it was pretty easy to walk in, apply and get hired on the spot. If the job ended up as something I didn't like, it was easy to quit, walk down the street and get hired doing something else. As a result, I have had more jobs than I can count, but I suppose I have worked for more than 30 employers since then.

Each experience had its own memories, some better than others. It is difficult to choose just one to say it was the most interesting. Best I can do is to describe one of the better memories.

This one experience was as a rental store manager. It had been a very busy day. A guy came in and wanted to rent a generator. He told me about a construction job where he was working, and they needed to run some power tools. He was friendly and all was proceeding normally.

The usual procedure was to ask for two forms of identification so I could fill in the forms. He showed me his driver's license and a credit card. As I filled in the form, I asked the usual questions, such as is this all correct and up to date, do you still live here, etc. He told me all was up to date and even gave me directions to where he lived.

I continued on the form for few minutes then stopped. I told him I could not rent the generator to him and told him he had to leave. He began to argue, saying his boss would be upset, but I insisted that he had to leave. He wanted to talk to my boss, and I told him which branch the boss was in. Go ahead and call, but you have to leave. As he continued to argue, I finally told him to leave or I would call the police. He was really upset, but finally got in his car and drove away.

I immediately called my boss to explain what had happened, and then went to the phone book to call all the competitors in town to warn them about this guy.

It was a city with more than 600,000 residents. There were more than a dozen rental stores. The company I worked for had three branch locations. What were the odds that this one guy would come to this store, and that I would happen to be the one who stopped to wait on him? No one else could have seen the problem and that generator would have vanished for good.

I could not tell him why. I told everyone I called not to let him know why. Are you ready for this unbelievable reason?

The address printed on his driver's license was MY HOME ADDRESS!

OldGuy

Postby cmoneyspinner » 14 Mar 2018, 17:41

Is there a piece of advice that was told to you by a parent or any influential adult figure in your life that has been like "a guiding principle" for all of your life?

cmoneyspinner

Referrals: 10
ForumCoin: 1,835

Postby OldGuy » 14 Mar 2018, 18:12

I'm not sure where it came from, but the best I can say is that I always strive to be there for others.

I take the time to stop and help someone who needs a hand, regardless of circumstances. I have come to call it "angel duty". I love to just happen to be there at the right time and place to help a stranger in need, and then vanish without recognition or compensation as quickly as possible. Nothing else leaves me floating in bliss for the rest of the day as a successful mission, even if the mission took me hours to complete. A life saving experience adds a gold star to the memory.

That frame of mind has been my personal guiding principle for as long as I can remember.

OldGuy

Postby sprite1950 » 07 Jun 2018, 07:12

What first attracted you to Forumcoin?

sprite1950

Referrals: 10
ForumCoin: 0

Postby OldGuy » 07 Jun 2018, 15:28

I can't quite recall where I saw something that drew my attention to this site, but I was trying to learn something about this thing called crypto currency. I had heard of it, but knew nothing about it. The forum name made me curious so I stopped to look around. I came here to read about it from those who might be familiar with what it was and how it works. I learned a lot about crypto currency and a lot more.

OldGuy

Postby Netherrealmer » 07 Jun 2018, 21:58

Blondes, brunettes, redheads?

Slender or thick?

Netherrealmer
Community Moderator

ForumCoin: 2,558

Next

Your Ad Here.