ForumCoin Special Offer: Free ForumCoin Exchanges Close
Forum Coin is an online community where you earn Forum Coin for making posts and referring other members. You can use that Forum Coin as a virtual currency to buy and sell goods and services and to exchange for traditional, real world currencies. Find out more!
Ask Me Anything and Interviews. Start your AMA here.

Re: Ask Sam

Postby Fergal » 17 Oct 2016, 06:21

Sam wrote:my favourite book is: The Intelligent Investor

Is that the one by Benjamin Graham? Did you find it easy to read and relevant to the times we live in today?

Fergal
Site Admin

ForumCoin: 12,654

Postby Sam » 19 Oct 2016, 07:49

Thanks for the questions- keep em coming! :)

shamzblueworld wrote:What was your first online venture? How did you get into this world?

A teen job site that was listed on a Government jobs page. Sadly it wasn't successful. The Joomla installation database crashed multiple times and I believe the site was hacked.

Fergal wrote:
Sam wrote:my favourite book is: The Intelligent Investor

Is that the one by Benjamin Graham? Did you find it easy to read and relevant to the times we live in today?

Yep. I first read it years ago (probably when I was 12 or 14). It is completely relevant to today. I own the "updated" edition which includes commentary from around the dotcom boom/ bust period. But you can completely see how relevant the ideas are to today. Of course, my finance papers focus on valuation methods like Discounted Cash Flow and Residual Income, modern portfolio theory etc. but I personally believe The Intelligent Investor provides a good grounding in investment (and keeps you grounded).

An example: A discounted cash flow requires a lot off estimation (guess work/ assumptions). I recently spent ~10 -12 hours completing a valuation of a private airport for an assignment. As part of calculating Cost of Capital/ the discount rate (WACC - a key assumption where a 0.5% difference would lead to a ~20% increase/ decrease in valuation) you need a risk-free rate (that's forward looking). For a 10 year horizon, a naive investor may take the 1.13% 5 year US govt rate and leave it at that to calculate a discount rate. I would argue that rate is too low and the risk-free rate is likely to rise very soon.... So I would build that into my valuation. This is sort of a Benjamin Graham idea. He would have considered a P/E ratio above 20 too high. He was always wary of different market conditions and looking forward. A lot of stocks at the moment are trading at high P/E multiples because of a low risk-free rate assumption (the airports I looked at had an average P/E of 30). A low risk-free rate increases the value of stocks. This is why there have been declines in a lot of major markets worldwide. Investors are waking up to the fact the FED and other central banks will raise rates. An intelligent investor would recognize the unusual times and plan accordingly.

Sam

Referrals: 13
ForumCoin: 1,641

Postby Fergal » 19 Oct 2016, 17:01

Thanks for all of that Sam, when I read about Warren Buffet he was a big fan of "The Intelligent Investor", but I knew it was an old book and wasn't sure if it was still relevant. I will definitely add it to my reading list and try to read it within the next few months. Is it geared towards investing in the stock exchange or is it also relevant to those setting up or owning their own business?

Fergal
Site Admin

Postby Sam » 19 Oct 2016, 21:08

Fergal wrote:Is it geared towards investing in the stock exchange or is it also relevant to those setting up or owning their own business?

It's geared towards investing in stocks and bonds. Warren Buffet was also a big fan of Philip Fisher's: Common stocks and Uncommon profits. He combined the two as the basis for his investment strategy. :)

Sam

Postby TeacherAngel » 29 Dec 2016, 13:07

What is your favorite fiction book?

TeacherAngel

ForumCoin: 960

Postby Sam » 07 Jan 2017, 03:34

TeacherAngel wrote:What is your favorite fiction book?

Probably one from the A Song of Ice and Fire series. :lol:

Sam

Postby Fergal » 07 Jan 2017, 10:29

Sam wrote:Probably one from the A Song of Ice and Fire series.

I read the first one and really enjoyed it, have also watched the six series. I was given a lovely gift of a box set of the books, the first one was great and they are really long and take quite some time to read :)

Do you have any live websites at the moment?

Fergal
Site Admin

Postby TeacherAngel » 07 Jan 2017, 10:50

I'm waiting for my sister to finish the first book so I can borrow it. :D I've watched all episodes of the six seasons, though. :D

Do you play any sport?

TeacherAngel

Postby Collinberg » 07 Jan 2017, 12:08

Since this is the first time am seeing you (Sam),my question is.. How do u manage to stay invincible? I asked because if I was a moderator in this great forum,a peacock wouldn't even compare to the kind of strutting I'll be doing.

Collinberg

Referrals: 6
ForumCoin: 51

Postby Sam » 29 Jan 2017, 02:19

Fergal wrote:Do you have any live websites at the moment?

Unfortunately not. The next websites I put up are likely to be coded by me. I have a course, which I need a concession for, where the assignment/ project is to build a live website. =)

TeacherAngel wrote:Do you play any sport?

Not at the moment. I played badminton last year and I played tennis at high school. :)

Collinberg wrote:Since this is the first time am seeing you (Sam),my question is.. How do u manage to stay invincible? I asked because if I was a moderator in this great forum,a peacock wouldn't even compare to the kind of strutting I'll be doing.

Well.... I'm not invincible unfortunately. Being a moderator is generally a fun job because ForumCoin is a friendly and welcoming community.

Sam

Postby TeacherAngel » 07 Feb 2017, 13:04

What music genre do you like listening to?

TeacherAngel

Postby Sam » 16 Feb 2017, 20:53

TeacherAngel wrote:What music genre do you like listening to?

Pop, Rock and Indie Pop/ Rock. :)

Sam

Postby TeacherAngel » 18 Feb 2017, 04:06

Any favorite music artists?

TeacherAngel

Postby Sam » 18 Feb 2017, 20:03

TeacherAngel wrote:Any favorite music artists?

Vitamin String Quartet, The Lumineers, Train, Broods... I like lots of popular artists (e.g. The Chainsmokers) but it's difficult to classify them as "favourties".

Sam

Postby TeacherAngel » 19 Feb 2017, 08:33

I like Train and The Chainsmokers too. :)

What was the best advice that you ever got from a friend?

TeacherAngel

PreviousNext

Return to AMAs & Interviews