ForumCoin Special Offer: Free ForumCoin Exchanges Close
ForumCoin is an online community where you earn ForumCoin for making posts and for referring other members. You can use the ForumCoin virtual currency to buy and sell goods and services and to exchange for traditional currencies. Find out more!
Discuss, post questions and suggestions related to this site, here.

Should negative reputation points be given out by forum members?

Postby sprite1950 » 04 Nov 2019, 08:12

My personal view is that they shouldn't. We have a report button if we want to do it anonymously so we don't really need the negative rep button at all. It just causes bad feeling amongst members as they can actually see who has given it to them. What do you think?

sprite1950

Referrals: 7
ForumCoin: 355

Re: Should negative reputation points be given out by forum members?

Postby anil02 » 04 Nov 2019, 10:21

sprite1950 wrote:My personal view is that they shouldn't. We have a report button if we want to do it anonymously so we don't really need the negative rep button at all. It just causes bad feeling amongst members as they can actually see who has given it to them. What do you think?

Every members have right to like or dislike any reply from members, I am not in favor of negative reputation points. IN these day I and many other members are getting negative point everyday.

anil02

Referrals: 3
ForumCoin: 146

Postby Angie10 » 04 Nov 2019, 16:35

I agree with you on that, @sprite1950. I also feel some petty, vindictive forum members could start to abuse it. I personally don't like it, have NEVER given a single negative rep and don't intend to ever use it because I feel it's mean and like you say, has the potential to sour relations here.

Angie10

Referrals: 4
ForumCoin: 1,515

Postby Sam » 04 Nov 2019, 18:40

You should use it. It is there to reduce the incentive to post poor quality topics and replied (it removes 1FC$). There are only 3 staff on ForumCoin and they are bound to miss new members trying to abuse the FC$ system.

Use it where you see members consistently posting poor quality. It does help make the community better. Be nice with your comment... State how they could improve their post(ing) rather than why it was poor.

Sam

Referrals: 14
ForumCoin: 826

Postby sprite1950 » 04 Nov 2019, 19:00

Sam wrote:You should use it. It is there to reduce the incentive to post poor quality topics and replied (it removes 1FC$). There are only 3 staff on ForumCoin and they are bound to miss new members trying to abuse the FC$ system.

Use it where you see members consistently posting poor quality. It does help make the community better. Be nice with your comment... State how they could improve their post(ing) rather than why it was poor.

Do you actually believe what you have just written Sam? There is no "nice" way of giving out a negative reputation point, it's red, it hits you in the face when you look at it and most people do not want to be given advice on how to improve a post, however well intended, especially by another forum member. I know what I would say if someone tried to tell me how to improve my writing ... and it would probably get me a ban :lol:

sprite1950

Postby OldGuy » 04 Nov 2019, 21:11

Before I was asked to become a moderator, I handed out a negative reputation point, It was effectively a note from one member to another pointing out that the post was provably presenting false information. (It was such a bizarre statement I researched it extensively.)

In response, I was whammed with about 20 negative reputation points in revenge. When I brought it all to fergal's attention, he removed most ...BUT NOT ALL.. There are three negative points still on my record from that experience that still sting because they were completely unjustified.

From that time on, until I was asked to become a moderator, although it was rare, I used the report icon (the exclamation point in a triangle in the upper right corner of the post) to bring it to the attention of the administration to let them decide if it deserved a negative reputation point.

Even as a moderator, I hate to give them out. First, they come with at least a 1 FC penalty and it seems to me such a penalty should only come from the administration. Second, no matter how you say it, receiving a negative reputation point leaves a sting, hard feelings and potential conflicts between members, let alone the possibility of revenge negative reputation points coming back to haunt you.

I do agree that active members see the content as it appears and will see posts the administration may never spot. Members can help clean up the low quality content by reporting them, rather than "taking the law into your own hands" and let the administration deal with it.

Using the report icon performs the same service, but it also takes your user name out of the line of return fire and reduces member to member hostilities.

Either way, members who are producing low quality content need to be told that their content is not acceptable. A negative rep point or a report will help us improve the quality we all need to see.

My vote is that members should use the report icon.

Please help make ForumCoin friendlier!
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=22964
OldGuy
Community Moderator

Referrals: 1
ForumCoin: 331

Postby sprite1950 » 04 Nov 2019, 22:34

OldGuy wrote:
... I was whammed with about 20 negative reputation points in revenge. When I brought it all to fergal's attention, he removed most ...BUT NOT ALL.. There are three negative points still on my record from that experience that still sting because they were completely unjustified.

Exactly, giving a negative rep point makes members angry which can result in revenge attacks. Using the report icon is kinder, it allows members to report a post they feel is of low quality anonymously, which informs admin, who can then deal with it.

sprite1950

Postby CyberFreak » 05 Nov 2019, 11:11

The feature is there for users to use if they feel it is deserved and don't mind any potential backlash. We will of course help deal with revenge reputation where the user returns giving negative rep for posts that we feel don't deserve it and it just a case of revenge. We wouldn't really encourage users to do this but we would encourage users to report posts. That way is does hide your identity and allows us to deal with the user directly and their anger. Heck, not even I am immune from getting revenge reputation when punishing users or for giving negative reputation.

CyberFreak
Tech Admin

Referrals: 18
ForumCoin: 64,996

Postby Angie10 » 05 Nov 2019, 17:07

sprite1950 wrote:
Sam wrote:You should use it. It is there to reduce the incentive to post poor quality topics and replied (it removes 1FC$). There are only 3 staff on ForumCoin and they are bound to miss new members trying to abuse the FC$ system.

Do you actually believe what you have just written Sam? There is no "nice" way of giving out a negative reputation point, it's red, it hits you in the face when you look at it and most people do not want to be given advice on how to improve a post, however well intended, especially by another forum member. I know what I would say if someone tried to tell me how to improve my writing ... and it would probably get me a ban :lol:

Hahaha I think maybe Sam has a lot more faith in humanity, @sprite1950. But I'm with you, there. I've seen it across various sites and over the years, whether members will admit to it or not, they can get a bit 'clicquey' and this sort of power would only serve to perpetuate that mentality and we'd soon see revenge negative reputation escalating.

There are also extra sensitive types - no names mentioned - who would react very negatively to being awarded a negative reputation by a fellow member. I personally feel it should be taken away from members altogether and replaced with a reporting mechanism, although certain people are already abusing that as well, as if they themselves are perfect :crazy:

Angie10

Postby cmoneyspinner » 05 Nov 2019, 18:17

@Angie10 - I am sort of leaning towards a removal of the Points system as well. I always thought of it as a "Like" button similar to the way you click Like on Facebook. I never really attached a "weight" or "value" to it. It's more of an acknowledgement that I read the comment or post and I agree and ... maybe I can add a little extra to the thread OR I don't really have much more to say. Either way, my clicking the Point, is not that big of a deal!

So! If my clicking that button is creating extra work for the moderators and the site owner, I would just as soon not click it at all. The people who work behind the scenes have enough real work to do to keep this site up and running. They had a positive purpose for installing that feature. They did not install it to create a "busy work headache"!

cmoneyspinner

ForumCoin: 212

Postby fergus1234 » 07 Nov 2019, 13:13

I dont know if you guys are aware of this but some people strikes back when you neg them. I have an experience with that. Someone negged me back before for downvoting their crappy post.

fergus1234

ForumCoin: 931

Postby MysticMoons » 07 Nov 2019, 21:09

Yeah I agree with everyone that says it will just start a neg rep war. They used to have those on forums I was on years ago also. It happens all the time. If facebook had a thumbs down icon I bet it would do the same also lol

Get paid to play new video games from home! New website payment proof!
https://drunkwizardgamer.blogspot.com/2019/10/how-to-get-paid-to-play-video-games.html
MysticMoons

ForumCoin: 404

Postby ptrikha21 » 08 Nov 2019, 16:48

fergus1234 wrote:I dont know if you guys are aware of this but some people strikes back when you neg them. I have an experience with that. Someone negged me back before for downvoting their crappy post.

Well, I agree. Some folks whose posts are given negative rating would "retaliate" in a way that they would even give a negative rating back to the rating folks.
An option could be : If someone gives a negative point, a mandatory text box should ask for a short reason, and the moderator can have a look at that.
Also, a person can be allowed to give just 2 negative reputation point per day, and no more than 10 a month.

ptrikha21

Referrals: 1
ForumCoin: 114

Postby Angie10 » 08 Nov 2019, 17:19

cmoneyspinner wrote:@Angie10 - I am sort of leaning towards a removal of the Points system as well. I always thought of it as a "Like" button similar to the way you click Like on Facebook. I never really attached a "weight" or "value" to it. It's more of an acknowledgement that I read the comment or post and I agree and ... maybe I can add a little extra to the thread OR I don't really have much more to say. Either way, my clicking the Point, is not that big of a deal!

So! If my clicking that button is creating extra work for the moderators and the site owner, I would just as soon not click it at all. The people who work behind the scenes have enough real work to do to keep this site up and running. They had a positive purpose for installing that feature. They did not install it to create a "busy work headache"!

I think we use the click differently. I personally use it here as a way of saying I agree or like what you're saying. But in terms of removing it, whether it's here or not I'm fine with it. But equally,I suppose it's a bit of a fun feature with which we can tell if people appreciate our contribution, which also doesn't hurt.

Angie10

Postby Sam » 08 Nov 2019, 18:54

I only see negative reputation as a stopgap measure to reduce poor quality posting. In the long term, payment based on post quality is the answer (which can be a rules based or automatic algorithm). It should be handed out sparingly and two good changes would be:

- limits to the amount of negative reputation a normal member can hand out. 2 per day (as mentioned above) seems good to me!
- annoymous negative reputation.
- forcing a reason to be handed out with a negative reputation point.

Sam

Referrals: 14
ForumCoin: 826

Next

Return to ForumCoin Related Discussions