ForumCoin Special Offer: Free ForumCoin Exchanges Close
ForumCoin is an online community where you earn ForumCoin for making posts and for referring other members. You can use the ForumCoin virtual currency to buy and sell goods and services and to exchange for traditional currencies. Find out more!
Talk hardware, software, computer gaming, mobile devices, the Internet, social networking and other technology

100 million Capital One customers hacked — mostly US and Candian customers : Customers are worried

Postby ptrikha21 » 31 Jul 2019, 07:14

Late Monday, Capital One Financial Corp. announced that more than 100 million people had their personal information hacked.
The hackers got information regarding credit scores and balances, ZIP codes, email addresses, dates of birth, self-reported income and payments history, fragments of transaction data, plus the Social Security numbers. Estimates are around 140,000 customers and 80,000 bank-account numbers from credit-card customers.

The bank has offered free credit-monitoring services to those affected. As per experts, Consumers and small businesses who applied for Capital One credit cards from 2005 through early 2019 are most at risk. Most customers are worried and trying to find if their assets and cards are at risk, or been compromised.

This case illustrates the perils of Modern Day Financial systems, where things like Credit Card offer benefits to many yet make many susceptible to hackers and other risks.

Source:
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/100-million-capital-one-customers-were-hacked-everything-you-need-to-know-about-data-breaches-but-are-afraid-to-ask-2019-07-30

ptrikha21

Referrals: 1
ForumCoin: 241

Re: 100 million Capital One customers hacked — mostly US and Candian customers : Customers are worried

Postby JASPREET » 31 Jul 2019, 07:28

Capital one is working in India also hope it won't affect customers here and they should add more measures to secure the privacy of customers

JASPREET

ForumCoin: 917

Re: 100 million Capital One customers hacked — mostly US and Candian customers : Customers are worried

Postby ptrikha21 » 31 Jul 2019, 08:00

JASPREET wrote:Capital one is working in India also hope it won't affect customers here and they should add more measures to secure the privacy of customers

So far the news talks of US and Canadian customers only but any Indian Customers can also seek clarification from the bank.

ptrikha21

Postby A K Rao » 31 Jul 2019, 09:06

That is very bad news! If such reputed financial Corporations are getting hacked then where is the security left for the customers? We have to admit that the hackers have become very smart as in the past they have hacked Face book, Bit Coin and now this Corporation Ltd.

A K Rao

Referrals: 3
ForumCoin: 2,561

Postby ptrikha21 » 31 Jul 2019, 10:14

A K Rao wrote:That is very bad news! If such reputed financial Corporations are getting hacked then where is the security left for the customers? We have to admit that the hackers have become very smart as in the past they have hacked Face book, Bit Coin and now this Corporation Ltd.

Take it from me - whether with an angry, sad face or with some kind of a sarcasm- There is no absolute safety in today's complex Financial World which has a high Technology dependency.
But the best safeguard for customers is awareness and tracking of their financial assets and liabilities.
One blinks and then the slip occurs!

ptrikha21

Postby A K Rao » 01 Aug 2019, 07:11

ptrikha21 wrote:Take it from me - whether with an angry, sad face or with some kind of a sarcasm- There is no absolute safety in today's complex Financial World which has a high Technology dependency.
But the best safeguard for customers is awareness and tracking of their financial assets and liabilities.
One blinks and then the slip occurs!

That is very true after all the technology is also is the brain child of human beings and they too do have some set backs or limitations which are exploited by other smart but crooked brains! Yes, it is after all the customer who can take care of their assets ad liabilities!

A K Rao

Referrals: 3
ForumCoin: 2,561

Postby ptrikha21 » 01 Aug 2019, 11:05

A K Rao wrote:
ptrikha21 wrote:Take it from me - whether with an angry, sad face or with some kind of a sarcasm........
ne blinks and then the slip occurs!

That is very true after all the technology is also is the brain child of human beings and they too do have some set backs or limitations which are exploited by other smart but crooked brains! Yes, it is after all the customer who can take care of their assets ad liabilities!

Yes whatsoever be the technological complexity, new crooks figure out some or the other way to find loopholes and do the damage.

ptrikha21

Postby OldGuy » 01 Aug 2019, 14:03

If it had to happen, I am sort of glad it hit this company. They are one of the most obnoxious sender of pre approved credit applications, with the junk mail preprinted with all your personal details they have on record. I have to shred an average of 3 or 4 of their junk letters every week and would love to see some legal hazard put them out of business. They refuse to remove names from their mailing list no matter how often you call to request it. If they are forced out of business that would be just fine with me.

Please help make ForumCoin friendlier!
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=22964
OldGuy
Community Moderator

ForumCoin: 438

Postby skysnap » 01 Aug 2019, 14:58

This is one reason I don't think crypto should be trusted because as much as blockchain is good. 100% cashless society would create hacking problems to get the society on it's knees. I am sure they maintain the records and money may be recovered but personal data leak can create social targets for the mafias, which means you are open to public if you are secretly rich.

skysnap

ForumCoin: 1,384

Postby Lushh » 02 Aug 2019, 13:39

OldGuy wrote:If it had to happen, I am sort of glad it hit this company. They are one of the most obnoxious sender of pre approved credit applications, with the junk mail preprinted with all your personal details they have on record. I have to shred an average of 3 or 4 of their junk letters every week and would love to see some legal hazard put them out of business. They refuse to remove names from their mailing list no matter how often you call to request it. If they are forced out of business that would be just fine with me.

I don't know how they manage to send out so much paper with their 'pre approved' gibberish. Even when you've never had any business with them, they are so bold in letting you know how much they know about you. I never trusted them in the least. Even if it's later revealed that they 'hacked' themselves none of it would be one bit surprising.Too often we find out that the report we got was far from the full story. Unfortunately, innocent people also suffer as a result of such recklessness.

Lushh

ForumCoin: 1,164

Postby Happyland » 03 Aug 2019, 13:47

100 million customers sounds like a huge number. They probably advertise that they have a safe and reliable online service. I don't know the specifics of what happened but it does not sound like it is safe nor reliable enough to protect your data.

Happyland

ForumCoin: 119

Return to CGT - Computers, Gaming & Technology