New: Contest June 1 to June 30 - Prize 100 FC Close
ForumCoin is an online community where you earn ForumCoin for making posts and for referring other members. You can use the ForumCoin virtual currency to buy and sell goods and services and to exchange for traditional currencies. Find out more!
Questions and discussions related to business, making money online, cryptocurrencies, etc.
Forum rules
Please ensure that all posts contribute positively to the discussion and are quality posts. Any low quality posts will be deleted. Please read "What makes a worthwhile post? before posting. This section is not for questions or topics about Forum Coin and these discussions should instead be posted in our ForumCoin Related Discussions forum. You must not post referral links in this forum.

Re: In the US prison is a business

Postby fergus1234 » 15 Apr 2019, 20:05

A K Rao wrote:
jackchun wrote:so low payment, how come people willing to be a prisoner ?

I am really surprised to know from your statement that people are ready to become prisners by the choice? I think they are the ones without any Morales... and they don't even deserve what they are getting there!

Umm its not their choice to be prisoners. They became prisoners because they got caught breaking the law.

fergus1234

ForumCoin: 1,523

Postby Alexandoy » 15 Apr 2019, 22:06

cmoneyspinner wrote:There are a lot of government services that are privatized. The postal service and the prisons are the two that come to my mind immediately. I have used the public post office and privatized postal service. They're both about equal in reliability for delivery.

As for privatized prisons? I think one could debate that there are better and possibly cheaper ways to punish people who commit non-violent crimes. Personally I don't like the idea of privatizing prisons. Prisons are a public service. A public safety service at that. To me there are some things only the government should do. Like ... collect taxes, securely lock up people who violate the law, and maintain a military force.

Prisons should NOT be viewed as business opportunity. It's about crime and punishment. It should be an opportunity for service to the community. The person who committed the crime upset the peace and dignity of the community. They owe the community some sort of restitution.

Why doesn't the Government Law Enforcement Authority make the offender wear an ankle bracelet, pay their own bills, sleep in their own house, buy their own food, and perform some sort of community service?

Seems to be a more fitting punishment. That's my opinion. :crazy:

Over here the Postal service is already privatized and from what I heard it is losing money. I think there are other government agencies that are privatized but definitely not the prisons.

Alexandoy

ForumCoin: 1,367

Postby fergus1234 » 26 Apr 2019, 18:29

@cmoneyspinner They only care about the 30 billion bucks they earn on a yearly basis.

fergus1234

Postby naxewp81 » 28 Apr 2019, 02:18

Giving prisoners the opportunity to work and earn is actually a good idea. Unfortunately, greed just tainted this business. On the other hand, I agreed with cmoneyspinner's opinion on this. These people committed crimes so they owed it to the community to give their service without expecting anything in return. It's ironic that prisoners can get a job while there are good people out there having hard times to find ways to earn.

naxewp81

ForumCoin: 79

Postby fergus1234 » 28 Apr 2019, 07:43

naxewp81 wrote:Giving prisoners the opportunity to work and earn is actually a good idea. Unfortunately, greed just tainted this business. On the other hand, I agreed with cmoneyspinner's opinion on this. These people committed crimes so they owed it to the community to give their service without expecting anything in return. It's ironic that prisoners can get a job while there are good people out there having hard times to find ways to earn.

2 dollars a day is not a decent payment, its slavery, a modern day slavery.

fergus1234

Postby ptrikha21 » 28 Apr 2019, 13:35

A K Rao wrote:In India also the prisoners work but not for outsiders. thy either work in Government projects or they participate in manufacturing/production of products those can be produced in a workshop or small working place. I know prisoners prepare furniture, handicrafts and other products which are sold to people at Jail outlets and the prisoners are paid daily wages for that.

One of the biggest example is Tihar Jail in Delhi. But many criminals keep on operating from within jail and their associates commit crime outside. Then, there are goons with VIP connections who are a bigger menace and even run extortion threats from inside the jail.

ptrikha21

ForumCoin: 480

Postby Angie10 » 28 Apr 2019, 14:03

fergus1234 wrote:Private prisons exists in the US and it is a billion dollar industry. It had been seen as a source of cheap labor without resorting to hiring people from China. Prisoners are said to be the next best cheap labor option aside from Chinese factory workers since that slave labor is their punishment for their crime.

Some people think private prisons is cruelty and human rights violations while others see this as a good business with great profits since your employees barely have salaries. What is your opinion of private prisons?

I think this is widely spread in the west. I mean, I could be wrong but I'm almost certain I saw something along those lines very recently on the news and it struck me as odd. So yes, I don't like the idea because it's very open to abuse; not just abuse of the system but also of the prisoners themselves. Then in countries like the US, it's bound to spill over into dirty politics and escalate into an ugly mess.

Angie10

Referrals: 4
ForumCoin: 1,332

Postby fistsworn » 28 Apr 2019, 19:43

I don't really want to comment because usually US citizens get mad, but their way of capitalism manages to screw up everything: prison, healthcare, food. etc.

I'm also a capitalist, but that does not mean that the system SHOULD NOT be controlled.
^Too long to explain so just google banned american foods in europe, you'll see what sh!t the US FDA allows on the market just because the said company had enough money to pay so the dangerous product could pass.

fistsworn

Referrals: 2
ForumCoin: 53

Postby Alexandoy » 29 Apr 2019, 07:13

ptrikha21 wrote:One of the biggest example is Tihar Jail in Delhi. But many criminals keep on operating from within jail and their associates commit crime outside. Then, there are goons with VIP connections who are a bigger menace and even run extortion threats from inside the jail.

You may be surprised that there are talks about the presence of drug laboratories right inside the national prisons here.

Alexandoy

ForumCoin: 1,367

Postby mrki444 » 29 Apr 2019, 10:11

ptrikha21 wrote:But many criminals keep on operating from within jail and their associates commit crime outside.

This is normal for every country and jail.

Join my site and earn 23 FC coins playing lottery and forum games. Good luck.

Currently we have technical issues. We are coming back soon.
mrki444
MMO Site Owner
MMO Site Owner

ForumCoin: 121

Postby cmoneyspinner » 30 Apr 2019, 17:54

OK. Let me just shout this out and move on.

When a person BREAKS THE LAW, they upset the peace and dignity of an entire community of law-abiding citizens and non-citizens who happen to be living in the community.

INCARCERATING CRIMINALS FELONS IS A PUBLIC SERVICE AND A MATTER OF PUBLIC SAFETY AND NATIONAL SECURITY!

IT'S NOT A FRIGGING BUSINESS OPPORTUNITY!! :evil:

By the way, if people are in prison - whether a government operated facility or privately owned - THEY SHOULDN'T BE ALLOWED TO VOTE!! :evil:

Why not let a family member or friend vote for murdered victims? Since the dead people probably would have voted IF THEY HADN'T BEEN KILLED BY THE GUILTY PERSON IN PRISON WHO TOOK THEIR LIFE!!!

Friggin' ignorant American politicians always bringing up STUPID STUFF the average American citizen wasn't even thinking about!! GRRRR ... !!! :evil:

(Breathe. Huge sigh. Calming ... calming ... calm.)

cmoneyspinner

Referrals: 7
ForumCoin: 364

Postby Yugocean » 01 May 2019, 04:41

In India Supreme court has prohibited prisinors to vote and those who completed their sentence minimum 2 years cannot contest election for 6 years.

Yugocean

ForumCoin: 76

Postby fergus1234 » 03 May 2019, 17:23

A documentary about the business of private prisons:

Aside from factories government pays Private prisons to keep their prisoners. So they make money from keeping prisoners as well. The abuse here seemed extreme.

fergus1234

Postby riddy09 » 04 May 2019, 03:21

Just read recently about international students that got in US universities by cheating and the upside for US is that they earn from those international tuition fees. So, I guess prison in US is the same really. Business as usual.

riddy09

ForumCoin: 259

Postby ruthmongare » 04 May 2019, 06:35

Yeah it could be paying because there will always be criminals although I don't like it being referred to as business.

ruthmongare

ForumCoin: 184

Previous

Return to Business, Money & Wealth - BMW Forum