*** ForumCoin is Proudly Hosted by Hawk Host ***
ForumCoin is an online community where you earn ForumCoin for making posts and for referring other members. You can use the ForumCoin virtual currency to buy and sell goods and services and to exchange for traditional currencies. Find out more!
BMF Banner Ad
You know you want to!

Would you buy a DNA test kit?

Postby thisnthat » 12 Jun 2018, 16:38

I've seen lots of ads lately wanting people to buy DNA kits as gifts for Father's Day. Would you submit to one or give one to anybody else?

I wouldn't put my DNA in a database or "gift" someone else with the "opportunity" to do so either. I know I can't be the only one that sees the potential for abuse here.

thisnthat

Referrals: 1
ForumCoin: 383

Re: Would you buy a DNA test kit?

Postby cmoneyspinner » 12 Jun 2018, 21:20

No. Different organizations have tons of information and data collected about me already, including fingerprints. I don't trust the people who handle that information. I'm not volunteering to create a DNA analysis. If somebody's needs to do research on their family identity for whatever reason let them do it. At this point in my life I have no need to delve further into my ancestry.

cmoneyspinner

Referrals: 10
ForumCoin: 1,867

Postby sabtra » 12 Jun 2018, 21:51

Well, some DNA websites were hacked quite recently.
THEY said the hackers only stole access data and couldn't get to the DNA data itself, but yet, it shows our privacy isn't completely safe. Hackers could be a threat, and human greed that could make these people sell the data in exchange of money, again, another threat.

sabtra

ForumCoin: 219

Postby hillhill9099 » 12 Jun 2018, 22:00

There is no way that I would do something like that, I have seen too many things where they can take your DNA and make clones and now they are saying that they can make babies out of DNA and make them look how you want, so that's a big NOPE!

hillhill9099

ForumCoin: 54

Postby thisnthat » 13 Jun 2018, 17:02

Thanks for the comments. I'm glad I'm not the only one.

cmoneyspinner wrote: If somebody's needs to do research on their family identity for whatever reason let them do it.

Unless they're related to me, in which case familial markers can also be used for a host of things. I probably watch/read too many mysteries/crime stories, but yeah... just let your imagine take over for a minute. lol

sabtra wrote:Well, some DNA websites were hacked quite recently.
THEY said the hackers only stole access data and couldn't get to the DNA data itself, but yet, it shows our privacy isn't completely safe. Hackers could be a threat, and human greed that could make these people sell the data in exchange of money, again, another threat.

Well said. Hacking is also something to keep in mind too.

I never thought about the cloning thing @hillhil9099. :wtf:

thisnthat

Postby cmoneyspinner » 13 Jun 2018, 17:37

Very interesting conversation. Other commenters mentioned things I either did not know or had not thought about. Hacking and cloning? My mind has gone off in all kinds of different directions and my paranoia has increased tenfold! :lol:

cmoneyspinner

Postby ruthmongare » 13 Jun 2018, 19:22

I cannot at all and why should i do that yet I know of my real identity neither can I gift anyone because they'll start thinking I'll of me.

ruthmongare

ForumCoin: 66

Postby Netherrealmer » 13 Jun 2018, 21:19

I bought one because I wanted to know what is my ethnicity. I mean just look at me, I have a feeling there are mysteries on my lineage that waits to be unveiled. I haven't received the results yet.

Netherrealmer
Community Moderator

ForumCoin: 1,530

Postby hillhill9099 » 13 Jun 2018, 21:19

Yeah, I don't even want to imagine what they could do with your DNA, like the cloning thing, could you even wrap your mind around that if they accomplished that, there would be no need for us people here anymore.

hillhill9099

ForumCoin: 54

Postby what_time_is_it » 13 Jun 2018, 21:23

I would never buy a DNA test kit. That is easier for the government to own another human being. Do you want the government to own your life or would you like to own your own life? Yes, when you get older they can make you younger, but do you know how many clones of you they can make? Millions. I wouldn't want that if I were you. :| :|

--- 13 Jun 2018, 19:13 ---

hillhill9099 wrote:Yeah, I don't even want to imagine what they could do with your DNA, like the cloning thing, could you even wrap your mind around that if they accomplished that, there would be no need for us people here anymore.
I completely agree with this @hillhill9099

what_time_is_it
Banned

ForumCoin: 4

Postby cmoneyspinner » 14 Jun 2018, 17:32

fergus1234 wrote:I bought one because I wanted to know what is my ethnicity. I mean just look at me, I have a feeling there are mysteries on my lineage that waits to be unveiled. I haven't received the results yet.

Oh! Is this your real picture? I just thought it was an avatar. Many people don't use their real photo. Now I'm curious about your results too! :D

cmoneyspinner

Postby anamika161088 » 22 Jun 2018, 11:22

I would never buy a DNA kit ever.

anamika161088

ForumCoin: 232

Postby cmoneyspinner » 22 Jun 2018, 19:54

anamika161088 wrote:I would never buy a DNA kit ever.

I can think of other ways to spend my money. However, if Henry Louis Gates Jr. wanted to do the analysis and foot the bill, I'd let him do it. :lol: :lol:

http://www.pbs.org/weta/finding-your-roots/home/

cmoneyspinner

Postby thisnthat » 26 Jun 2018, 20:38

cmoneyspinner wrote:Very interesting conversation. Other commenters mentioned things I either did not know or had not thought about. Hacking and cloning? My mind has gone off in all kinds of different directions and my paranoia has increased tenfold! :lol:

Hacking crossed my mind right away. It happens frequently even to databases that we would think are ultra secure. The cloning thing though... um, not so much. Gives me shivers.

thisnthat

Postby sabtra » 30 Jun 2018, 12:50

I don't know why they would want to clone us, ordinary people. :D
But they could use our DNA on crime scenes. :roll:

sabtra

ForumCoin: 219

Your Ad Here.

Return to General Chat - Off Topic