*** ForumCoin is Proudly Hosted by Hawk Host ***
ForumCoin is an online community where you earn ForumCoin for making posts and for referring other members. You can use the ForumCoin virtual currency to buy and sell goods and services and to exchange for traditional currencies. Find out more!
BMF Banner Ad
You know you want to!

Re: Refusing to bake wedding cakes for gay couples

Postby chikitta » 30 Dec 2017, 09:27

I concur with you on this one. A business person has a right to choose whichever client they want. But again when you are in business it doesnt matter what you believe in or not one thing i know is that businesses are created or started so that people can get the srevices that they need right? Not unless you dont know why you are in business. Your there for the money so why should you refuse to render services to certain groups of people just because you dont believe in what they do.I think that was foolish.

chikitta

Referrals: 1
ForumCoin: 354

Banner Ad

Postby spiderdust » 30 Dec 2017, 09:58

Ok, let's look at it a different way...

What if a baker refused to bake a cake for a couple because they were of a different race?
What if a baker refused to bake a cake for a couple because they belonged to a different religion than the baker?
What if a baker refused to bake a cake for an immigrant couple?

I read a very good op-ed piece recently by Duff Goldman, owner of Charm City Cakes, and he points out that when a business receives a license to operate in public, they must agree to serve the entire public. They can decide what they want to serve, but not to whom. As an example, he said that if someone came in and asked him to make a lasagna, he could refuse because his business does not make lasagnas (much like a kosher caterer being within their rights to refuse to serve pork, as it would not be on their menu). However if someone comes in and wants to order a cake, he cannot refuse to serve that person based on who they are.

By picking and choosing who they wanted to serve, the bakers violated the agreement they made when receiving the business license.

Here's a link to the article, if anyone would like to read it: http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/opinion/oped/bs-ed-op-1208-cake-controversy-20171206-story.html

spiderdust

Referrals: 2
ForumCoin: 270

Postby cmoneyspinner » 30 Dec 2017, 17:05

@spiderdust ~ Thanks for the link.

Great feedback. This matter has been decided. Twice actually. There remains yet a 3rd time for it to be decided.

1st time:
The business owner decided based on their religious conviction.

2nd Time:
Now the matter has been legally decided and the business owners must pay $135K (I think) for causing the gay couple emotional distress. (That's what I heard on the radio.)

3rd Time?
As for whether the business owners will continue in their business and now begin serving gay couples in the future remains to be seen. Because I assume their religious convictions have not changed one iota.

Based on the court decision, the business owners now have to make their final decision. Which Master will they serve? The business owners will either fear the earthly judge or the heavenly judge. They have to choose! There's no such thing as compromise in religion or faith. You can't serve two Masters.

The article headline reads: Bakers choose what, not whom, to serve
But in reality, the bakers have to choose Whom to serve. They have to.

Not sure if we will ever know the final outcome as I doubt this is an issue deemed newsworthy any more. More than likely, as far as journalists or media folks are concerned the court has decided so there's nothing else to report to the "public". :)

cmoneyspinner

Referrals: 10
ForumCoin: 1,835

Previous

Your Ad Here.

Return to General Chat - Off Topic