ForumCoin Special Offer: Free ForumCoin Exchanges Close
Forum Coin is an online community where you earn Forum Coin for making posts and referring other members. You can use that Forum Coin as a virtual currency to buy and sell goods and services and to exchange for traditional, real world currencies. Find out more!
You know you want to!

Share a Random Fact You Learned

Postby cmoneyspinner » 21 Aug 2017, 23:43

Share one random fact fact you learned.

"Random", by my definition, meaning you found it when you were not even looking for it and it's highly unlikely that you will ever need to use it for anything, unless you happen to be a contestant on a game show like Jeopardy! :D

Random Fact I Learned:

The Kingdom of Mercia (thick line) and the kingdom's extent
during the Mercian Supremacy (green shading) | Wikimedia Commons

cmoneyspinner

Referrals: 4
ForumCoin: 167

Re: Share a Random Fact You Learned

Postby peachpurple » 22 Aug 2017, 08:46

The random fact I learned today is:
Banana curve because it grows toward the sun !

bananas do not grow towards the ground. Instead it grow towards the sun direction because it grows against gravity.

Banana was originally grown in the rainforest, tropical countries where there is little sunlight among the thick tall tress and bushes. Hence, bananas needed the sun to grow, which is the reason why it curved.

peachpurple

Referrals: 2
ForumCoin: 418

Postby cmoneyspinner » 22 Aug 2017, 15:07

* * @peachpurple ~ Thanks for the contribution about bananas. Didn't know any of that about bananas!

My Random Fact for Today:

There are four (4) main Anime Colleges, with two to three year programs, all located in Japan, where students can get certificates and degrees in anime production.

The colleges in the USA are not specifically focused on Anime. Rather it is a part of the entire curriculum for people who want to study Animation.

cmoneyspinner

Postby Angie10 » 22 Aug 2017, 15:15

I heard this one years ago but never bothered to look further into it, so please don't quote me on it LOL

Ketchup was sold as medicine in the 1830s

Angie10

ForumCoin: 2,384

Postby morgoodie » 22 Aug 2017, 19:00

LoL @Angie10 I wouldn't doubt that is true. They had some really weird ideas about medicine back then. It was probably the "snake oil" type of medicines that peddlers sold.

Arsenic was used a long time ago for creating the perfect complexion. It was ingested because it cleared the skin and gave people the pale skin that was a sign of wealth. Women of wealth wanted pale skin to prove that they didn't work in the fields. It was also used in the dyes of clothing and fake flowers which made wearing and decorating with certain colors such as Emerald green hazardous to your health. Victorian age fashion was something to die for. (Sorry I couldn't help the pun) :D

morgoodie

ForumCoin: 202

Postby Happyland » 23 Aug 2017, 20:29

The fact that laminin has a certain and definite shape. It is striking to me that the shape of laminin in our cells is shaped like a cross that the children of God can easily recognize and appreciate.

Happyland

ForumCoin: 3,188

Postby purple19 » 23 Aug 2017, 20:59

When you die your hair still grows for a couple of months.

purple19

ForumCoin: 293

Postby cmoneyspinner » 23 Aug 2017, 21:19

The term “ugly American” which means an arrogant ignorant American abroad who does not appreciate the culture of the country where he or she is the “foreigner” actually comes from a book jointly written by Eugene Burdick (1918 – 1965) and William Lederer (1912 – 2009) titled “The Ugly American”.

cmoneyspinner

Postby morgoodie » 23 Aug 2017, 22:52

We all know it feels good to hug someone but did you know that hugging for 20 seconds releases a chemical called Oxytocin that can make someone trust you more. So does that mean if a serial killer hugs you for 20 seconds you would trust them? Hmm I hope not. So hug everyone you know for 20 seconds to release their inner Oxytocin!!

morgoodie

Postby bestwriter » 23 Aug 2017, 23:21

It takes 13 muscles to smile and 33 to frown and so smile away :)

bestwriter

ForumCoin: 143

Postby morgoodie » 24 Aug 2017, 00:13

I love bears so I thought I would give a random fact about this creature:

Bears have been around for more than 30 million years in some shape or form but it was 20 million years ago that they broke from the old family lineage and became the types we know of today. There are only 8 species of bears today that live in different geographical locations except Australia where no bears live. Polar bear's feet stink. In Asia, bears are slaughtered for their bile. Read more at: http://interesting-facts.com/nature/animal/bear-facts/

I have actually seen the brown bear and the black bear in the wild in person and they are very cool.

morgoodie

Postby augusta » 24 Aug 2017, 02:20

No one has ever died from being hard working..So keep working hard.Babies cry in the womb.

augusta

ForumCoin: 431

Postby suny » 24 Aug 2017, 02:48

bestwriter wrote:It takes 13 muscles to smile and 33 to frown and so smile away :)

So what, do you know that for an adult person taking one step uses all of 200 plus muscles. That does not mean we should stop taking that step.

suny

Referrals: 59
ForumCoin: 1,414

Postby bestwriter » 24 Aug 2017, 10:02

suny wrote:
bestwriter wrote:It takes 13 muscles to smile and 33 to frown and so smile away :)

So what, do you know that for an adult person taking one step uses all of 200 plus muscles. That does not mean we should stop taking that step.

You can go ahead and frown :crazy:

bestwriter

ForumCoin: 143

Postby Angie10 » 24 Aug 2017, 10:12

This thread is so informative and fun, I'm loving it :) Thanks for starting it, cmoneyspinner <3

Now for the latest wacky random fact I've learned recently-

Scientists believe that on Jupiter and Saturn it rains diamonds!

Maybe it's time us girls should move and set up camp over there hehe!

Angie10

ForumCoin: 2,384

Next

Return to General Chat - Off Topic