ForumCoin Special Offer: Free ForumCoin Exchanges Close
Forum Coin is an online community where you earn Forum Coin for making posts and referring other members. You can use that Forum Coin as a virtual currency to buy and sell goods and services and to exchange for traditional, real world currencies. Find out more!
You know you want to!

Does posting improve your writing?

Postby thisnthat » 18 May 2017, 18:36

Do you feel like posting on forums has helped to improve your writing skills?

I used to play a game and on that game everyone basically wrote in text speak. I feel like it made me kind of lazy doing that, without regard for proper spelling, grammar, punctuation, etc. I think forum posting does help me try to stick to the rules a little bit better.

What about language skills for non-native English speakers? Does posting frequently help you learn English a bit easier? Can you pick up on things through context that help you understand the language better?

thisnthat

Referrals: 1
ForumCoin: 261

Re: Does posting improve your writing?

Postby sprite1950 » 19 May 2017, 07:19

I think my grammar skills really should be up to scratch although I'm sure I make mistakes at times. I certainly sit and look at some of the things I've written and wonder if they sound right or if they are grammatically correct.

I would think that for members where english is not their first language, practising their skill would definitely help and in a place like ForumCoin they could always ask. I think any of us would be happy to help. :wave:

sprite1950

Referrals: 7
ForumCoin: 1,764

Postby fistsworn » 19 May 2017, 08:25

It really depends on the environment , a text based rpg forum deffinetelly improoves this, but facebook surelly doesn't.
I try to write the best I can considering english ain't my native language.

I did improove in some areeas, but still have difficulties in others, I prefer listening to speaches of a topic that interests me and then note and google the terms I didn't comprehend. That improoves my spelling cause I have to guess if it's written right then if it's not google corrects it for me :D

Italian also is difficult somtimes having a silent H and a multitude of articles that are pronounced the same though spelled differently based on what is in front of them (gender, number and so on).

While not leaving in Romania anymore I totally forget to write some things I can still speak it fluently but writting is a pain due to this: ș, ț î, ă. â and the fact that sometimes possesive are integrated at the end of the possesor like:

The man's car - Mașina bărbatului
[the car] [Man] [and this last "lui" is the possesive "of the"]
That's pretty peculiar and the only Romance language that has it and there are manny difficult spelling problems here including using this: "-" as "Mi-a" Wich is a kind of non physical possesive ussually used for phrases like "I had been forbbiden"

Don't want to forget to spell my native language cause it's quite embarassing and it's very unique aswell and should be preserved like all languages.

fistsworn

ForumCoin: 118

Postby grecy0905 » 19 May 2017, 15:16

Before I really think that way but right now, I think I just adopt something from native English speaker members in here. If they use this expression, I use this too on my future comments :lol: however, I am not sure if that is right. It improves my vocabulary and expression, maybe but learning the right things, I must read my grammar books first.

grecy0905

Referrals: 11
ForumCoin: 276

Postby thisnthat » 19 May 2017, 15:46

I agree, @sprite. I'd be happy to help, if I can.

Thanks for sharing, @fistsworn. That was very interesting. I imagine things can get very complicated when going back and forth between different languages.

Hi Grecy, yes that's kind of what I'm talking about. You pick up on things that other people say and by the context of how those expressions are used, you figure out what they mean even if they were unfamiliar to you before.

Even being fluent in English, there is always more for me to learn as well. :D

thisnthat

ForumCoin: 261

Postby Angie10 » 19 May 2017, 16:00

I certainly agree @thisnthat, just because we have good lingustic skills doesn't mean there's no room for improvement. I've spoken English all my life from a very young age because Botswana is an English speaking country. In fact, English is the official language, so kids start learning English from a very early age. I also come from a mixed race background, where English is the main medium of communication.

What's sad is that wherever you go in my country, more and more people are finding it very hard to communicate in their own language. It's sad because all these people speak very good English, which should really be their second language. But I've always loved languages and double majored in English and Setswana at university, and took French as a minor.

Having said that, and to answer the question, I do believe that forum posting and writing regularly does help improve your writing skills, whether you're a native speaker or not. I've known excellent English speakers, native or not, whose writing skills frankly leave A LOT to be desired. I'm not sure why that happens :?

Angie10

Referrals: 2
ForumCoin: 1,752

Postby Tinkerlove » 19 May 2017, 16:22

Posting really does improve my writing and typing skills. I love to write anyway and it's one of the reason I decided to start posting in the first place. I'm glad I started.

Tinkerlove

ForumCoin: 3

Postby Husainkoliraskr » 19 May 2017, 16:39

Yes.definitely posting improve our writing skills and we can share our ideas to other users and here in forumcoins quality posts gains reputation points and it helps other users regarding topic or discussion.

Husainkoliraskr

ForumCoin: 0

Postby haripriyavkl » 19 May 2017, 17:06

Absolutely yes. I have learned so many new words as well as the way of speaking by posting. Each and every day I am learning new things in a wide range of categories while writing articles and posting on different sites. :thumbup:

haripriyavkl

ForumCoin: 492

Postby peachpurple » 19 May 2017, 17:20

I find that commenting in forums help me to improve my grammar and spelling, cut down the abbreviated words

peachpurple

ForumCoin: 53

Postby chikitta » 19 May 2017, 18:07

I guess it should improve your grammar and writing given that you are reading different articles from different people that should give you a better way of writing blogs and articles.

chikitta

ForumCoin: 47

Postby cmoneyspinner » 20 May 2017, 02:22

* * Posting won't improve if you repeatedly use incorrect grammar, misspelled words, incorrect punctuation marks, etc. You'll just keep making the same writing mistakes over and over.

cmoneyspinner

ForumCoin: 134

Postby sprite1950 » 20 May 2017, 07:57

cmoneyspinner wrote:* * Posting won't improve if you repeatedly use incorrect grammar, misspelled words, incorrect punctuation marks, etc. You'll just keep making the same writing mistakes over and over.

That's true but wouldn't a person learn from seeing what native english speakers write. I really admire people who attempt to write in english when it's not their first language as I don't have a second language. Obviously it has to be of a reasonable standard so that people can actually understand it.

Last edited by sprite1950 on 20 May 2017, 17:14, edited 1 time in total.
sprite1950

Referrals: 7
ForumCoin: 1,764

Postby cmoneyspinner » 20 May 2017, 17:02

sprite1950 wrote:
cmoneyspinner wrote:* * Posting won't improve if you repeatedly use incorrect grammar, misspelled words, incorrect punctuation marks, etc. You'll just keep making the same writing mistakes over and over.

That's true but wouldn't a person learn from seeing what native english speakers write. I really admire people who attempt to write in english when it's not their first language as I don't have a second language. Obviously it has to be of a reasonable standard to that people can actually understand it.

* * I said that because I have been at a site or sites where I don't see the people making any effort to improve their English skills. Why should they if they're getting paid just the same? The site requires writing in English. I even suspect they type up the words in their own language and then use an automated translator. I suppose if you want to get technical, it didn't say the English had to written correctly, just readable enough for others to know what they're writing. At those sites, I see people posting like crazy!! The words are misspelled. The grammar is incorrect. But I do understand what they're trying to say. :) :D

cmoneyspinner

ForumCoin: 134

Postby Happyland » 04 Jun 2017, 06:50

I think posting does improve writing if we allow it. It depends on how mindful we are of how we are writing. Threads and posts can be a good way to practice proper writing skills. Every little bit counts.

Happyland

ForumCoin: 1,247

Next

Return to General Chat - Off Topic