New: Contest June 1 to June 30 - Prize 100 FC Close
ForumCoin is an online community where you earn ForumCoin for making posts and for referring other members. You can use the ForumCoin virtual currency to buy and sell goods and services and to exchange for traditional currencies. Find out more!
Webmaster forum. Website development, design & management. Graphic design. Blog / Forum Set-up, Management, Admin & News

If you are banned from a particular forum - will you rejoin by changing your username?

Postby anilmr » 12 Mar 2019, 21:51

If you are banned from a particular forum, it is not difficult to rejoin - by changing your username, email and your log-in details. Of course you will have to also join and log in from a different IP address. And, how can the moderator detect such impostors? Anyone here, who has been banned from a forum, joined with a different username?

Last edited by anilmr on 20 Mar 2019, 10:06, edited 3 times in total.
anilmr

ForumCoin: 1,014

Re: If you are banned from a particular forum - will you rejoin by changing your username?

Postby mrki444 » 12 Mar 2019, 22:28

If I think it's orth I would. I would also change tactics in advertising.
Many users don't know how to change IP, they use same bad tactics and that is how they are caught.

mrki444
MMO Site Owner
MMO Site Owner

ForumCoin: 43

Re: If you are banned from a particular forum - will you rejoin by changing your username?

Postby OldGuy » 12 Mar 2019, 23:53

I don't want to know first hand how it feels to get banned. I always try my best to read the rules before I begin and adhere to them. However, I have seen what it is like to catch someone who was banned and then returned. It still feels bad to have to take action.

Members who are banned for some reason and then try to rejoin rarely get away with it for long, if the moderators are vigilant.

In most cases, they are caught because they log in with the same ip address. That stands out like a flashing light. If the same ip address shows up with a different user name, that ip address can be blocked.

If they log in with a different ip address, they may remain hidden for a period of time. However, if they have a long history with the site, they are often caught after some time with the new user name due to extremely similar content.

Once similar content is recognized, it is possible to detect nearly duplicated style, vocabulary, punctuation, etc., or even references to the same sources within their content until it can be confirmed one way or the other. It is not the same as a handwritten signature, but your "style" shows up as clearly as your signature in your content. No one can fake it for long. It will show up eventually.

If you get banned from some site, move on to something else. They have already said they don't want you to participate on their site with their "Get Lost" ban.

Please help make ForumCoin friendlier!
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=22964
OldGuy
Community Moderator

Referrals: 1
ForumCoin: 618

Postby johnywalker » 13 Mar 2019, 02:44

The first thing you should consider is not breaking any rules to get banned on a forum. If you are banned for unjustified reason, it is better the leave the site than join it again.

johnywalker
Banned

ForumCoin: 178

Postby Chameli » 13 Mar 2019, 10:59

I was banned on BMF for "trash." That was very unjust because I have 4.33 rating on postloop and 4 on the forum wheel. I will never join the forum where I was unjustly banned.

Chameli
Banned

ForumCoin: 170

Postby sofs » 13 Mar 2019, 11:03

The first thing I do before joining a site is to read the FAQ and any other rules of the site so i won't do anything contrary to what the site expects of me. This is to ensure that I won't be banned even by accident.
So there is no question of joining back. I do see a lot of people doing it on Mylot. I would think that is disrespect for the site and yourself.
Nope, I don't think i would ever join a site again if I get banned for some reason.

sofs

ForumCoin: 2,619

Postby Rational Mind » 13 Mar 2019, 18:21

You should always stick to the rules. I have banned a lot of users on my site because they did not read the rules. If you are banned and you rejoin the site again and continue to break the rules, you will be banned again once found.

Rational Mind
Banned

ForumCoin: 34

Postby augusta » 14 Mar 2019, 04:51

I can't waste my time again on a site I was banned. It their loss not mine. I will swiftly move to another site maybe I might even do better there. No need crying over spilled milk, it's worthless.

augusta

ForumCoin: 241

Postby Ash » 14 Mar 2019, 12:28

I would never bother doing that because you risk losing your second account as well. Thankfully, I've never had to contemplate this as I've never been banned for any forums :D

Ash

ForumCoin: 376

Postby Angie10 » 14 Mar 2019, 15:59

For me, it's just not worth it whatsoever. I'd expect the owner to tell me what I was meant to have done wrong. If they didn't even have the courtesy to do that, I'd leave with my head held high and go elsewhere. That once happened to me on a paid forum posting site and I later learnt from a friend that the owner had gone on a weird rant about wanting to cut people. I just thought whatever and skipped right along. It wasn't the end of the world.

Angie10

Referrals: 4
ForumCoin: 1,266

Postby anilmr » 14 Mar 2019, 20:23

OldGuy wrote:I don't want to know first hand how it feels to get banned. I always try my best to read the rules before I begin and adhere to them. However, I have seen what it is like to catch someone who was banned and then returned. It still feels bad to have to take action.

Members who are banned for some reason and then try to rejoin rarely get away with it for long, if the moderators are vigilant.

In most cases, they are caught because they log in with the same ip address. That stands out like a flashing light. If the same ip address shows up with a different user name, that ip address can be blocked.

If they log in with a different ip address, they may remain hidden for a period of time. However, if they have a long history with the site, they are often caught after some time with the new user name due to extremely similar content.

Once similar content is recognized, it is possible to detect nearly duplicated style, vocabulary, punctuation, etc., or even references to the same sources within their content until it can be confirmed one way or the other. It is not the same as a handwritten signature, but your "style" shows up as clearly as your signature in your content. No one can fake it for long. It will show up eventually.

If you get banned from some site, move on to something else. They have already said they don't want you to participate on their site with their "Get Lost" ban.

:thumbup: OK, so sometimes the moderator has to step into shoes of a detective, to catch an impostor - à la Sherlock Holmes!. I wasn't aware that writting style, vocabulary, etc could prove to be useful pointers in identifying an impostor.

anilmr

ForumCoin: 1,014

Postby johnywalker » 15 Mar 2019, 00:38

If the banned user is using different IP, it might be difficult to catch him. The writing style can give you a clue, however, in a site where there are a lot of members, it might be difficult to compare the style.

johnywalker
Banned

ForumCoin: 178

Postby Chameli » 15 Mar 2019, 02:30

It is better to ask to reinstitate you by writing to the admin, instead of creating another account. If you are not reinstated, and you create second account, you might be banned again.

Chameli
Banned

ForumCoin: 170

Postby augusta » 16 Mar 2019, 05:00

OldGuy wrote:I don't want to know first hand how it feels to get banned. I always try my best to read the rules before I begin and adhere to them. However, I have seen what it is like to catch someone who was banned and then returned. It still feels bad to have to take action.

Members who are banned for some reason and then try to rejoin rarely get away with it for long, if the moderators are vigilant

I totally agree with you,it will be better to apologize for whatever reason one got banned and try to get reinstated than trying to play a fast one on the admin.

augusta

ForumCoin: 241

Next

Return to Webmaster Questions, Discussion & News