ForumCoin Special Offer: Free ForumCoin Exchanges Close
Forum Coin is an online community where you earn Forum Coin for making posts and referring other members. You can use that Forum Coin as a virtual currency to buy and sell goods and services and to exchange for traditional, real world currencies. Find out more!
Webmaster forum. Website development, design & management. Graphic design. Blog / Forum Set-up, Management, Admin & News

Re: Forums are dying

Postby Kei » 16 Mar 2019, 05:35

Yes forums are dying. But why are they dying? Is it just on the part of the forum owners or the members as well. There's a trick right here and we aren't seeing it. If we forget about the cash just for a bit and focus on great content, we'll see how the box comes rolling in.

Kei

Referrals: 2
ForumCoin: 238

Postby mrki444 » 16 Mar 2019, 12:30

Chameli wrote:A lot of people blame on social sites like Reddit for the demise of forums. However, in my opinion, the users are to blame for the death of forums. The users on most of the forums are not focusing on building useful and informative contents.

Many people just want to have fun or post stupid posts, not building useful and informative contents.

mrki444
MMO Site Owner
MMO Site Owner

ForumCoin: 843

Postby KyushuKris » 16 Mar 2019, 14:36

yeah i think reddit will outlast all of them.

KyushuKris

ForumCoin: 376

Postby Angie10 » 16 Mar 2019, 17:31

I think they definitely are! In truth, even back when I started working online, I always thought there were only a few I'd consider joining. But I was only ever happy with PostLoop. I considered joining one whose name escapes me, tried for PFP but never heard back. In the end, I stopped trying to find new ones.

Angie10

Referrals: 4
ForumCoin: 598

Postby fergus1234 » 16 Mar 2019, 17:43

Even the official forums of popular pop culture franchises like tv shows, cinematic universe, video games and comic books are dying while their social media pages thrives.

fergus1234

ForumCoin: 888

Postby augusta » 18 Mar 2019, 04:09

fergus1234 wrote:Even the official forums of popular pop culture franchises like tv shows, cinematic universe, video games and comic books are dying while their social media pages thrives.

This is why I. Believe that some are affected by change it can remain the way it used to be there must be some changes or let say one thing becomes boring and to keep it alive another way will be used.

augusta

ForumCoin: 197

Postby OldGuy » 18 Mar 2019, 07:19

This can be a difficult topic to swallow, especially if you bring up your own favorite site as one experiencing a slow down leading to the eventual death of the site.

As most members know by now, I enjoy studying statistics and have been closely monitoring ForumCoin since January 2018.

ForumCoin is not exempt from this same problem. Although there have been over half a million posts since the site was launched, and there are over 5000 registered members, the true picture is not quite as bright.

Many members join, look around, kick the tires and leave. 38.7% of all registered members joined, but left without ever contributing a single post. Another 10.1% only slapped in a single post and left, and yet another 7% more who only contributed 2 to 10 posts and called it quits. Another 13.1% ended up being banned because they violated some site rule or were spammers. In another view, 27% of those who contributed enough to count but less than 1000 posts never received a single positive reputation point, and 60 of those left with negative reputation points.

When the dust settles in counting active members, there are only 125 who have stayed long enough to contribute over 1000 posts, and only 5 who have contributed more than 10,000 posts. That is only 2.4% of all registered members accounting for 73.15% of all content. Then again, only 84 members have remained active longer than 1000 days.

Members come and go every day. Out of over 600 who joined since Jan 2018, only 288 contributed content, 45 out of that lot have posted anything in the last 30 days, and 8 of those only joined in the last 30 days.

The site was averaging over 550 posts per day for most of 2018, but as of this latest week, there were only an average of 443 posts per day for the whole week.

The point is, when you actually study these and other specific site statistics, it is clear that there is an interest in the potential topics that might be included on this site, but the existing content, topics and maybe even the active members or site layout is not keeping the drifters interested for long. The site is clearly showing signs of a slow down that has been growing more obvious for the last 4 or 5 months.

The content on this site comes from the active members. For now, the only visible evidence of quality is in the reputation points received on posted content. Although it is not an accurate measure of quality, it does represent the opinion of the rest of the community of the quality of your content.

If you are not averaging at least one positive reputation point for every ten posts, the community is telling you that your content is low quality. You need to make sure you contribute content that adds value to the topic. Based on counts and statistics, the community opinion says that 67% of all content on this site sucks via low reputation point scores.

After studying those statistical details, it should be obvious that the first thing active members need to do is to improve the quality of your content. Divide your reputation points by your total number of posts and read the results as a percentage. If your score is below 10%, you need to work harder to contribute quality content to the site that will add value to the topic. It is that content that keeps future readers coming back. If you are posting junk, you are hurting the site.

Of course that also means that if you see quality content that adds value to the topic, tell the author that you feel the content adds value by giving them a positive reputation point.

A second point to ponder is bringing in new members that will actually contribute content and become active members. All sites need new members all the time to bring in new viewpoints, opinions and added content that adds value to the site. It is obvious that a lot of these members who have joined but left in a hurry have come as referrals, but maybe they did not receive a true picture of what they were coming to see. It was not what they expected and they jumped ship right as they began.

ForumCoin has a referral program. Members can earn 25 FC for each new referral you bring in, but only when that new member has contributed 20 or more posts. It is important to share a true picture when you post any referral ad. Talk about the content, categories, what you learned, your favorite sections, the low cost advertising, trades with others for the earned ForumCoins and other features of the site. Yes, you can earn FC for your content, but the earnings are not the main attraction. Don't make earning potential the main point of your promotion. Give new prospects good reasons to participate so you can earn that referral fee.

A third point to think about is the topics that already exist on this site. If you look them over, many topics have hundreds and even thousands of replies. There is only just so much you can say when you go back and post a second, third or beyond added content to the same topics. That factor alone may have a lot to do with the noticeable slow down in new daily posts.

Those who are interested in the health of this site need to think of new topics to add to the mix, and to make sure they are posted in the correct categories. If this site is to continue for years, new topics need to be added daily. Be sure to use the site search to make sure you are not just duplicating existing topics.

There is only just so much a site owner can do to maintain and improve the site itself. The content comes from the active members. If the members want better content, that also has to come from them.

Do you like the site? Post better content. Post new topics. Promote the site with referral ads. That applies to any site you work on. If you want it to remain healthy and active, you need to support it.

Please help make ForumCoin friendlier!
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=22964
OldGuy
Community Moderator

Referrals: 1
ForumCoin: 632

Postby fergus1234 » 18 Mar 2019, 09:06

Well some of the people who left after one post though will eventually comes back. I think I abandoned forum coin after my first 5 posts. I came back 3 years later by trying to log in and getting shocked the account was not banned. I think we must have an option to register via social media account because many people stopped using emails.

fergus1234

ForumCoin: 888

Postby Angie10 » 18 Mar 2019, 10:15

I totally agree that forums are dying but in terms of what to do to ensure ForumCoin doesn't go the same way, I'm not entirely sure but would like to hear from those in the know. But someone made a very good point about ForumCoin always being receptive of returning members, no matter how long they've been gone. That for me and I'm sure many others, is huge. And I do see many FC members coming and going all the time.

Angie10

Referrals: 4
ForumCoin: 598

Postby Ash » 19 Mar 2019, 12:36

fergus1234 wrote:Well some of the people who left after one post though will eventually comes back. I think I abandoned forum coin after my first 5 posts. I came back 3 years later by trying to log in and getting shocked the account was not banned. I think we must have an option to register via social media account because many people stopped using emails.

I was the same really, both with ForumCoin and BeerMoneyForum. Registered, hang around for a bit but didn't use the site a lot. And then I recently got into making money online a lot so returned to the sites.

Ash

ForumCoin: 345

Postby sofs » 19 Mar 2019, 14:58

From what I have read so far forums are dying a natural death, but posters are contributing to the the illness by making poor quality posts.
I am wondering why people would join a site and bolt for the exit - that doesn't make sense to me. Personally speaking I usually study the site before I register, then I at least give a site a shot. Glad to say that I have never left a site after posting a few posts.
Personal reason and commitments have always been at the core of me abandoning a site, but I always come back.
I agree that we need new topics and fresh blood here. That is what can give strength and vigor to the site and sustain it for long.

sofs

ForumCoin: 2,186

Postby jobless dude » 19 Mar 2019, 17:20

Yes, I do agree forums are dying.

jobless dude

ForumCoin: 84

Postby kanchan18 » 19 Mar 2019, 18:16

FC is sustaining and bucking thr trend simply because they are keeping a minimalistic approach towards earning. where every seems to earn something but nothing big and hence they are here.

kanchan18

ForumCoin: 806

Postby sofs » 20 Mar 2019, 11:35

kanchan18 wrote:FC is sustaining and bucking thr trend simply because they are keeping a minimalistic approach towards earning. where every seems to earn something but nothing big and hence they are here.

That does help I think. I also guess having an different article writing section helps bring in the ads and the revenue. I am not sure but I think it works out better than having a forum alone. The content size and keywords help the site a bit more I guess.

sofs

ForumCoin: 2,186

Postby mrki444 » 20 Mar 2019, 11:49

jobless dude wrote:Yes, I do agree forums are dying.

Is your forum good so far? Are you earn enough for covering all expenses?

mrki444
MMO Site Owner
MMO Site Owner

ForumCoin: 843

PreviousNext

Return to Webmaster Questions, Discussion & News