ForumCoin Special Offer: Free ForumCoin Exchanges Close
Forum Coin is an online community where you earn Forum Coin for making posts and referring other members. You can use that Forum Coin as a virtual currency to buy and sell goods and services and to exchange for traditional, real world currencies. Find out more!
Webmaster forum. Website development, design & management. Graphic design. Blog / Forum Set-up, Management, Admin & News

What's too many ads?

Postby Sam » 20 May 2015, 05:33

So a topic was brought up on ForumPromotion.net about the home page having too many ads.... (it has 18) That and ForumCoin's recent discussion on adding more adverts to the forum got me thinking, what do you guys think is the right number?

Image Image

I personally think it entirely depends on the type of site. I accept the fact that file hosts/ proxies etc. have much higher server costs which need to be recovered thus the need for more ads. However for most sites, I think 3 ad spots seems to be the ideal number. You might have other ad options such as in-text links and a revenue generating search bar but more than 3 banners/ text box slots is too many for me.

Earn $7FC with this new offer!

Sam
Community Moderator

Referrals: 13
ForumCoin: 1,603

Re: What's too many ads?

Postby LShun » 20 May 2015, 06:51

I agree, more than that and its actually distracting from what you are truly searching for. From the example's I think its pretty too bright and colored. Adding more is okay as long as its background is the same color to the site and the text are neat.

LShun

Referrals: 8
ForumCoin: 140

Postby halcyon220 » 20 May 2015, 16:01

The amount of ads itself doesn't matter. However, if they obstruct user use, it's too many.

That's what I think.

halcyon220

Referrals: 1
ForumCoin: 207

Postby WorkAtHomeGal » 20 May 2015, 20:34

I think my blog currently has 9 and I find that distracting. I have them all to the right side and a couple header or footer ads as well. I have come across some ridiculous websites that took over a minute to load because of how much ads was placed. I can understand having some but don't go crazy.

WorkAtHomeGal

Referrals: 25
ForumCoin: 62

Postby drssamade » 20 May 2015, 23:04

yes really
they want to earn a lot of money with more ads!
i think they will earn more than 200$ per day
great!

drssamade

ForumCoin: 15

Postby halcyon220 » 20 May 2015, 23:21

WorkAtHomeGal wrote:I think my blog currently has 9 and I find that distracting. I have them all to the right side and a couple header or footer ads as well. I have come across some ridiculous websites that took over a minute to load because of how much ads was placed. I can understand having some but don't go crazy.

this

halcyon220

Referrals: 1
ForumCoin: 207

Postby OtherM » 21 May 2015, 00:33

Well this isn't a question about how many but rater what to do and what not do to.

There is a general programming rule when developing a website in HTML5 (well as far as they taught me).
That you can allow a max. of 3 large ads.
What does this mean?
One ad in the header,
One ad in the footer,
AND one ad in the right sidebar.

This is a general rule and most website also get rated on this, have to much ads and your website rating drops and may even get 'banned' from search engines (you would never want this to happen).
I did however encounter a website recently who had a brilliant solution to this; this site had its basic 3 ads layout, but when clicking on the 'Support me' tab this webmaster had, you actually visited a page of him where tons and tons of banners and ads where displayed, in my mind, this is a super good idea ^^

OtherM

ForumCoin: 747

Postby ramyzahran » 22 May 2015, 10:11

too many ads to see .. they know where to get money .

ramyzahran

ForumCoin: 117

Postby LShun » 22 May 2015, 10:13

I agree. There should be a Report Me button beside the advertisement, so when enough reports and then the authorities will come and investigate and solve the distraction :P. Just a simple thought.

LShun

Postby Iamor » 22 May 2015, 10:29

install AdBlock plus.

Iamor

Referrals: 12
ForumCoin: 65

Postby OtherM » 22 May 2015, 12:19

Iamor wrote:install AdBlock plus.

There is no need for AdBlock Plus on the internet x'D
You know why people get AdBlock?
Because 50% of the time they do not even realize they got an ad-virus on they computer witch pops up so much ads :p
If I suddenly see to many ads, I know I need to check my registry :p

OtherM

Postby WorkAtHomeGal » 22 May 2015, 18:18

halcyon220 wrote:
WorkAtHomeGal wrote:I think my blog currently has 9 and I find that distracting. I have them all to the right side and a couple header or footer ads as well. I have come across some ridiculous websites that took over a minute to load because of how much ads was placed. I can understand having some but don't go crazy.

this

What? Are you agreeing with what I said or disagreeing. Sorry just "this" is confusing to me my friend. And yes I do feel 9 ads is to many on my blog but I want to change the layout soon. :)

WorkAtHomeGal

Referrals: 25
ForumCoin: 62

Postby OtherM » 22 May 2015, 21:39

More ads doesn't really mean more money :)
The quality of your ads also counts :)

As an simple example:
With my blog getting 2600 visits on one day I earn $0,86
And than the other day only getting 1080 but earning $1,17

All depends on the quality of your traffic :D
I hate it when my blog gets shared on a chines site, Tier 3 countries are worth nothing in CPM :(

OtherM

Postby loudawg » 22 May 2015, 21:55

To many ads is bad for both the advertiser and the publisher IMO.

loudawg
Banned

ForumCoin: 250

Postby LShun » 23 May 2015, 01:09

loudawg wrote:To many ads is bad for both the advertiser and the publisher IMO.

I agree, it will hurt the reputation of the publisher because normally bad companies spam to get attention.

LShun

Next

Return to Webmaster Questions, Discussion & News