ForumCoin Special Offer: Free ForumCoin Exchanges Close
Forum Coin is an online community where you earn Forum Coin for making posts and referring other members. You can use that Forum Coin as a virtual currency to buy and sell goods and services and to exchange for traditional, real world currencies. Find out more!
Webmaster forum. Website development, design & management. Graphic design. Blog / Forum Set-up, Management, Admin & News

Re: self-hosted blog vs free blogs

Postby Vinaya » 25 Aug 2018, 01:06

I started by writing on writing site, later created blogs on wordpress and blogger. However, I could not continue with my blogs and instead continue to work on writing sites. I created my self hosted blog in 2015.

Vinaya

Referrals: 2
ForumCoin: 0

Postby freelancermariagrace » 25 Aug 2018, 11:42

If you are just new to blogging, I highly suggest that you start with free blogs like blogger, wix or Wordpress. Then maybe after a year or two, you can buy your own domain and hosting.

freelancermariagrace

Referrals: 1
ForumCoin: 81

Postby Chameli » 25 Aug 2018, 14:24

freelancermariagrace wrote:If you are just new to blogging, I highly suggest that you start with free blogs like blogger, wix or Wordpress. Then maybe after a year or two, you can buy your own domain and hosting.

Contrarily, I do not suggest free blogs. The time you spend on free blogs will be a waste. Instead, try self hosting blog on a shared hosting.

Chameli

ForumCoin: 31

Postby theend » 25 Aug 2018, 14:33

welcome you i'm new :D :D

theend
Banned

ForumCoin: 11

Postby A K Rao » 22 Sep 2018, 04:04

I already have a free blog, but then I am thinking seriously to start a self hosted blog. In fact I am in search for a good service provider who can give me a good deal and who is already popular domain provider! Could you kindly suggest any?

A K Rao

ForumCoin: 978

Postby dominique » 26 Sep 2018, 18:07

A K Rao wrote:I already have a free blog, but then I am thinking seriously to start a self hosted blog. In fact I am in search for a good service provider who can give me a good deal and who is already popular domain provider! Could you kindly suggest any?

Try namecheap. The first year hosting for shared hosting package cost you only $9.88. By choosing this package you can host three websites. The renewal for this package is $29, which is still cheap because you can host three websites.

dominique

ForumCoin: 62

Postby arunima » 26 Sep 2018, 18:10

I have a free blog right now that is more like my personal writing. I want to have one blog with my expertise and for that I would prefer a self hosted domain.

arunima

Referrals: 1
ForumCoin: 742

Postby oldbuddy » 26 Sep 2018, 21:21

I will never have another free blog (unless it's just for click bait), when I can set up a self- hosted one so cheap. For starters, it shows you are serious.

I am in the process of setting up a new one right now and I paid less than a dollar for the domain name the first year. If by then I am not making money I will just let it expire. I have had another blog for several years that I paid $10 a year for the .com name and $1 a month for hosting WordPress. So far it has made me over $500 from referral commissions and takes very little time from my day.

ARE YOU JUST HERE FOR THE PENNIES?
I am coming to the conclusion that most on here don't really want to make more money
CLICK HERE if that does NOT include you.
oldbuddy

Referrals: 28
ForumCoin: 441

Postby Chameli » 30 Sep 2018, 11:17

If making money is your primary concern you should set up a self hosted blog. If you are blogging for hobby and do not care about monetization, then free blog or website is ok.

Chameli

Postby kat82 » 08 Oct 2018, 14:56

Personally, I prefer a self hosted Blog than a free one. With self hosted, you have total control over it all be on what to post, when, which ads to use and etc. In free blogs, you are limited on what you can post and the different rules apply. Oh No, the free ones are meant for beginners or starters who have less to post and don't mind of any rules. I too used the free ones for starting.

kat82

ForumCoin: 299

Postby dominique » 09 Oct 2018, 22:34

Fee blogs are for those who want to learn blogging without spending money. Free blogs are for hobbyist who doe snot care much about money or traffic. All serious bloggers should get a self hosted blog.

dominique

ForumCoin: 62

Postby Chameli » 30 Nov 2018, 11:36

dominique wrote:Fee blogs are for those who want to learn blogging without spending money. Free blogs are for hobbyist who doe snot care much about money or traffic. All serious bloggers should get a self hosted blog.

You are right. When I launched a blog, I did not know any thing about blogging, I was just trying learn blogging, however, I started with self hosted blog. I learned by trial and error and it was rewarding.

Chameli

Postby oldbuddy » 30 Nov 2018, 13:26

dominique wrote:Fee blogs are for those who want to learn blogging without spending money. Free blogs are for hobbyist who doe snot care much about money or traffic. All serious bloggers should get a self hosted blog.

My opinion is free blogs are for those with ZERO confidence, since anyone can afford the cost if they wanted to. I can make more than enough to pay for my own self-hosted blog by clicking for pennies and the experience gives me something to write about. Now that I think about it, I could make enough right here on Forum Coin.

ARE YOU JUST HERE FOR THE PENNIES?
I am coming to the conclusion that most on here don't really want to make more money
CLICK HERE if that does NOT include you.
oldbuddy

Referrals: 28
ForumCoin: 441

Postby kat82 » 01 Dec 2018, 13:59

I personally prefer a custom domain name why? It gives me peace of mind and also makes me post more. Unlike the free sites where you wake up one day and find it blocked or deleted, this isn't the case with self hosted domains.

kat82

Postby kat82 » 03 Dec 2018, 06:54

Exactly.. That is what I usually tell new bloggers. Instead of rushing for self hosted even before they understand how to write a quality post, they should start with the free ones and learn to make it. Seriously, why spend when you can't bring in.

kat82

PreviousNext

Return to Webmaster Questions, Discussion & News