ForumCoin Special Offer: Free ForumCoin Exchanges Close
Forum Coin is an online community where you earn Forum Coin for making posts and referring other members. You can use that Forum Coin as a virtual currency to buy and sell goods and services and to exchange for traditional, real world currencies. Find out more!
Webmaster forum. Website development, design & management. Graphic design. Blog / Forum Set-up, Management, Admin & News

Re: self-hosted blog vs free blogs

Postby Rational Mind » 05 Dec 2018, 23:56

Free blogs are not very beneficial because you have limited options for monetization. However, you can use free blogs to give backlinks to your main site.

Rational Mind

ForumCoin: 36

Postby kingcool52 » 06 Dec 2018, 18:19

Does anyone know what Wordpress allows in terms of putting up your own advertisements on your blog? My friend who has a movie review blog said he didn't add Adsense on there, not sure if it's because he doesn't want to add it or if he's not allowed to.

kingcool52

ForumCoin: 133

Postby kat82 » 07 Dec 2018, 06:15

dominique wrote:It takes time to earn money through blogging. You might have to wait for years to see a substantial increase in your earnings.

.....and then think of upgrading to self host. For starters, I recommend them to start with free host since it helps them get started and learn everything in detail before switching to paid versions which are spendings

kat82

Referrals: 5
ForumCoin: 39

Postby jobless dude » 12 Dec 2018, 04:11

At the time of starting, I used blogger to learn few basic concepts. Then I opened a blog with a custom domain name and hosting. Now it's ranking on Google. My next plan is to write more and more blogs to attract organic traffic.

jobless dude

ForumCoin: 507

Postby kat82 » 12 Dec 2018, 09:54

jobless dude wrote:At the time of starting, I used blogger to learn few basic concepts. Then I opened a blog with a custom domain name and hosting. Now it's ranking on Google. My next plan is to write more and more blogs to attract organic traffic.

The more you do what you love, the better the chances of having things working better. I know it takes time to build something worth it and which is why starting with a free blog can help. Blogger is my same story and imagine with a dot tk. But now, things changed.

kat82

Postby Chameli » 15 Dec 2018, 23:34

jobless dude wrote:At the time of starting, I used blogger to learn few basic concepts. Then I opened a blog with a custom domain name and hosting. Now it's ranking on Google. My next plan is to write more and more blogs to attract organic traffic.

I started with a self hosed blog. Even though I did not have any experience, I started on a self hosted blog because I wanted to monetize my blog

Chameli

ForumCoin: 116

Postby sofs » 16 Dec 2018, 05:12

cmoneyspinner wrote:I've already wasted money on buying a domain, self-hosting, etc. That's why I'm using free blogging platforms for right now. The plan however is to eventually buy a domain.

That is true for me too... I spent quite a bit of money on my personal paid blog.. I just discontinued it at the beginning of this year and continued with my free blogs.

sofs

ForumCoin: 1,408

Postby Chameli » 17 Dec 2018, 01:46

I worked online, saved some money, registered a domain, saved more money, bought hosting plan and then started working on the blog. Since I did not put money from my pocket, there was no big risk starting a blog.

Chameli

Postby Rational Mind » 18 Dec 2018, 23:25

Chameli wrote:I worked online, saved some money, registered a domain, saved more money, bought hosting plan and then started working on the blog. Since I did not put money from my pocket, there was no big risk starting a blog.

I started my blog as a hobby, I was seeing a lot of people having their own blog, therefore I also wanted to have my blog. When I launched the blog, I was very active in the beginning, then I lost interest.

Rational Mind

Postby sofs » 19 Dec 2018, 13:53

I started my blog to promote my articles on hubpages. It did prtty well then as I wrote parallel articles on both driving traffic both ways.. but then when hubpages took of very well i just wrote more for hubpages and put my blog on the back burner. Didn't know much then.. I was just happy to have my articles approved and read. LOL

sofs

ForumCoin: 1,408

Postby Chameli » 21 Dec 2018, 06:51

sofs wrote:I started my blog to promote my articles on hubpages. It did prtty well then as I wrote parallel articles on both driving traffic both ways.. but then when hubpages took of very well i just wrote more for hubpages and put my blog on the back burner. Didn't know much then.. I was just happy to have my articles approved and read. LOL

As far as I know when you publish on hubpages, you have to give them exclusive rights. You are not supposed tom republish else where.

Chameli

Postby Rational Mind » 29 Dec 2018, 20:04

I think it is better to publish on article sites instead of free blogging platform. On free blogging platform it is difficult to earn as most of the ad networks do not approve subdomain sites.

Rational Mind

Postby Chameli » 31 Dec 2018, 10:09

dominique wrote:I think it is better to publish on article sites instead of free blogging platform. On free blogging platform it is difficult to earn as most of the ad networks do not approve subdomain sites.

That's why I started with self hosting even though I did not have prior experience. If you are active on yoursite and regularly post articles, promote on social sites and do seo, you will manage to earn revenue.

Chameli

Postby kat82 » 01 Jan 2019, 14:41

dominique wrote:I think it is better to publish on article sites instead of free blogging platform. On free blogging platform it is difficult to earn as most of the ad networks do not approve subdomain sites.

Article sites if they pay you endless as opposed to a single pay. That is why your own blog be free of paid platform is much better than the articles site.

kat82

Postby Chameli » 01 Jan 2019, 15:12

kat82 wrote:

Article sites if they pay you endless as opposed to a single pay. That is why your own blog be free of paid platform is much better than the articles site.

If you are publishing on article sites, you either never reach payment threshold or end up not receiving payment just like me.

Chameli

PreviousNext

Return to Webmaster Questions, Discussion & News