ForumCoin Special Offer: Free ForumCoin Exchanges Close
Forum Coin is an online community where you earn Forum Coin for making posts and referring other members. You can use that Forum Coin as a virtual currency to buy and sell goods and services and to exchange for traditional, real world currencies. Find out more!
Webmaster forum. Website development, design & management. Graphic design. Blog / Forum Set-up, Management, Admin & News

self-hosted blog vs free blogs

Postby dominique » 27 Jan 2018, 22:58

If you are just starting out, which one will you consider, a self hosted blog (you have a custom domain name and hosting service) or a free blog (you are using wordpress, blogger, wix, weebly etc.)

dominique

ForumCoin: 2

Re: self-hosted blog vs free blogs

Postby cmoneyspinner » 30 Jan 2018, 22:30

I've already wasted money on buying a domain, self-hosting, etc. That's why I'm using free blogging platforms for right now. The plan however is to eventually buy a domain.

Last edited by cmoneyspinner on 31 Jan 2018, 04:38, edited 1 time in total.
cmoneyspinner

Referrals: 4
ForumCoin: 5

Postby cinderella » 30 Jan 2018, 22:47

I have my own domain and hosting plan which I acquired last year. Though I am not earning anything from it as of now, I have no plan of giving it up. I am trying to learn additional skills in order to gain benefits from having my own blog site. For me having our own domain is better.

cinderella

Referrals: 6
ForumCoin: 1,396

Postby augusta » 31 Jan 2018, 03:08

If one is just starting out the person is better off with free blogs than buying the hosting for the meantime.Start out first and see as it goes before introducing cash to it.

augusta

ForumCoin: 373

Postby dominique » 02 Feb 2018, 00:17

cmoneyspinner wrote:I've already wasted money on buying a domain, self-hosting, etc. That's why I'm using free blogging platforms for right now. The plan however is to eventually buy a domain.

What do you mean by wasted? Do you mean to say you had a self-hosted blog and you did not make any money?

dominique

Postby Chameli » 20 Mar 2018, 21:56

cmoneyspinner wrote:I've already wasted money on buying a domain, self-hosting, etc. That's why I'm using free blogging platforms for right now. The plan however is to eventually buy a domain.

I have a self hosted blog, I am not making money, however, my investment on the domain and hosting is not a wasting of money, but an investment.

Chameli

ForumCoin: 486

Postby Kei » 22 Mar 2018, 20:54

I would say free blogging platform for someone who is just starting out like me. I started using WordPress. When I'm comfortable enough, I can get my own domain and hosting plan.

Kei

Referrals: 2
ForumCoin: 268

Postby Chameli » 23 Mar 2018, 21:55

Kei wrote:I would say free blogging platform for someone who is just starting out like me. I started using WordPress. When I'm comfortable enough, I can get my own domain and hosting plan.

If you are serious about blogging, I don't think free platforms will help you. Once day you will find that you have squandered time and effort on free blogging pltaforms.

Chameli

Postby dominique » 19 Jun 2018, 19:27

It takes time to earn money through blogging. You might have to wait for years to see a substantial increase in your earnings.

dominique

Postby Chameli » 21 Jun 2018, 15:27

dominique wrote:It takes time to earn money through blogging. You might have to wait for years to see a substantial increase in your earnings.

If you produce high quality comntents, do SEO, and market properly, I don't think you have to wait for a year to see earnings. result can be visible just in a few months.

Chameli

Postby dominique » 08 Jul 2018, 23:41

Free blogs are for those who want to learn about webmastering or blogging. Once you learn the skill you have to move to self hosted blog.

dominique

Postby Chameli » 11 Aug 2018, 15:49

dominique wrote:Free blogs are for those who want to learn about webmastering or blogging. Once you learn the skill you have to move to self hosted blog.

In my opinion, you do not have to get started with free blog because migrating your free blog to premium blog is very technical work.

Chameli

Postby kingcool52 » 11 Aug 2018, 21:13

Self-hosted is always the way forward, to be honest. If you are new, then free hosting will probably be good because you still need to learn things.

kingcool52

ForumCoin: 124

Postby dominique » 13 Aug 2018, 23:31

Contrarily, I think why squander your time with free website. You do not need to be expert to get started. Even with zero knowledge, you can easiluy launch your wordpress site. If you are starting with self hosted website, by the time you lean about the website business, you will already have some contents and traffic.

dominique

Postby Chameli » 24 Aug 2018, 10:52

dominique wrote:Contrarily, I think why squander your time with free website. You do not need to be expert to get started. Even with zero knowledge, you can easiluy launch your wordpress site. If you are starting with self hosted website, by the time you lean about the website business, you will already have some contents and traffic.

I agree with you. When I was ready to launch my blog, I began with a self hosted blog.

Chameli

Next

Return to Webmaster Questions, Discussion & News