ForumCoin Special Offer: Free ForumCoin Exchanges Close
Forum Coin is an online community where you earn Forum Coin for making posts and referring other members. You can use that Forum Coin as a virtual currency to buy and sell goods and services and to exchange for traditional, real world currencies. Find out more!
Webmaster forum. Website development, design & management. Graphic design. Blog / Forum Set-up, Management, Admin & News

Pro's and Con's: Shorten URL

Postby talkerbee » 18 Nov 2017, 14:08

What I am afraid of shorten URL is that we can't sure everytime we click on it if the site is legit or scam because we don't know the site name. Or maybe the worst scenario is it could be a phishing site. I don't see the good impact on using it.

Shorten URL --- your views about it?

Do you have any idea of the advantages and disadvantages of shorten URL?

talkerbee

Referrals: 26
ForumCoin: 547

Re: Pro's and Con's: Shorten URL

Postby tusziget » 18 Nov 2017, 14:23

I have never tried it out ,because I don't like this type of methods.

tusziget

ForumCoin: 76

Postby ruthmongare » 18 Nov 2017, 20:29

What I hate about these URL shortening sites is that they really pay low for the work done that's why I never give them a try.

ruthmongare

ForumCoin: 471

Postby cmoneyspinner » 18 Nov 2017, 21:17

I don't use the sites that say they will pay if you use their shortened URLs. They just didn't work for me.

Currently, I am using the Google URL shortener.

I used to use Bit.ly but then I heard complaints that the links were spam. Not sure what the hoopla was about. But just to be safe I stopped using it.

cmoneyspinner

Referrals: 3
ForumCoin: 81

Postby ahmedo24 » 18 Nov 2017, 21:25

Personally I don't like it because I see it as delayment to reaching the main page.

ahmedo24

Referrals: 23
ForumCoin: 1,066

Postby Chameli » 18 Nov 2017, 21:26

There are some url shortener that are said to give you $5 when you send 1000 visits to the url. I once tried this. However, the url shortner created a pop up on my site and began to chase away my visitors. Therefore, I stopped using these url shortener.

Chameli

ForumCoin: 55

Postby anorona » 19 Nov 2017, 03:40

Sorry but, may I know what shorten link means? Is this used to hide the sites name?

anorona

ForumCoin: 562

Postby tusziget » 19 Nov 2017, 04:29

Yes,they are like bit.fly,something like that.I didn't give much interest to it,I don't know how safe is,using it.

tusziget

Postby talkerbee » 19 Nov 2017, 05:52

anorona wrote:Sorry but, may I know what shorten link means? Is this used to hide the sites name?

URL shortening is a technique on the World Wide Web in which a Uniform Resource Locator (URL) may be made substantially shorter and still direct to the required page. This is achieved by using a redirect which links to the web page that has a long URL. For example, the URL "http://example.com/assets/category_B/subcategory_CFoo" can be shortened to "https://example.com/Foo", and the URL "http://example.com/about index.html" can be shortened to "https://goo.gl/aO3Ssc ". Often the redirect domain name is shorter than the original one. A friendly URL may be desired for messaging technologies that limit the number of characters in a message (for example SMS), for reducing the amount of typing required if the reader is copying a URL from a print source, for making it easier for a person to remember, or for the intention of a permalink . In November 2009, the shortened links of the URL shortening service Bitly were accessed 2.1 billion times. [1]
Other uses of URL shortening are to "beautify" a link, track clicks, or disguise the underlying address. Although disguising of the underlying address may be desired for legitimate business or personal reasons, it is open to abuse. [2] Some URL shortening service providers have found themselves on spam blacklists, because of the use of their redirect services by sites trying to bypass those very same blacklists. Some websites prevent short, redirected URLs from being posted.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/URL_shortening

Last edited by Fergal on 20 Nov 2017, 19:19, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Quote tags applied
talkerbee

Referrals: 26
ForumCoin: 547

Postby tusziget » 19 Nov 2017, 05:55

Thanks for the detailed.I knew this things about url shorteners,but you explained very well.

tusziget

Postby augusta » 19 Nov 2017, 06:26

i have never tried making money from this, so I don't really know and from.reviews most of this sites are scams so I don't bother.

augusta

ForumCoin: 389

Postby tusziget » 20 Nov 2017, 06:42

Same opinion.I didn't read positive reviews about this method,so I even didn't wanted to try it out.

tusziget

Postby chekdn » 20 Nov 2017, 09:03

cmoneyspinner wrote:I don't use the sites that say they will pay if you use their shortened URLs. They just didn't work for me.

Currently, I am using the Google URL shortener.

I used to use Bit.ly but then I heard complaints that the links were spam. Not sure what the hoopla was about. But just to be safe I stopped using it.

Does it mean the google url shortner is considered as spam? I am curious because you mentioned that bit.ly links are spam because of complaints you heard.

Note that i have never used any.

chekdn

ForumCoin: 164

Postby Yugocean » 20 Nov 2017, 10:31

I tried to use shortened url, but it was difficult to get it viewed as the then PTC sites too were not accepting these urls and considered them frame braker.

Yugocean

ForumCoin: 878

Postby ladyninja » 23 Nov 2017, 13:52

I have also used bit.ly in the past but I gave it up when I didnt really see any improvement to my sales.

ladyninja

ForumCoin: 22

Next

Return to Webmaster Questions, Discussion & News