*** ForumCoin is Proudly Hosted by Hawk Host ***
ForumCoin is an online community where you earn ForumCoin for making posts and for referring other members. You can use the ForumCoin virtual currency to buy and sell goods and services and to exchange for traditional currencies. Find out more!
BMF Banner Ad
Webmaster forum. Website development, design & management. Graphic design. Blog / Forum Set-up, Management, Admin & News

Why Facebook is better...

Postby Sam » 10 Nov 2017, 06:43

I started a topic a while ago: What does Facebook have that forums don't?. I suggested that forums are better for discussion than Facebook for the following reasons:
[+] Spoiler
--> It's much more transparent. I can see who the members of staff are (the admins) and the rules of posting are often clearly laid out. This is super important to me because Facebook group admins aren't at all accountable.
--> The quality and knowledge is better (IMO).
--> I can chose a level of anonymity to a certain extent.

I wanted to know why Facebook was "beating" the typical forum. And.. reading through the responses as well as having a think about this, I believe I have come up with an answer (do excuse the mess of thoughts to follow :lol: ):

1. Facebook chat. Private messages are too early 2000s. We need real-time chatting capabilities (read- web sockets) without the forum owner worrying whether that takes away from members making posts. You should be able to talk to groups of people, your friends, 1 other person, the whole board. The focus on board post count here rather than user experience is terrible. It doesn't matter if users come onto the board to make posts or to chat with friends, they are still interacting with the site.

2. Facebook let's you get creative and discuss what interests you. You can create your own groups/ pages and customize your profile. I especially think the ability to create your own niche groups is really important. You can benefit from having your own group on a forum or on Facebook and you are encouraged to grow your own mini-community.

3. We don't necessarily encourage friends and family to sign up because a forum is almost completely open. There needs to be public and private areas so you can feel free to express yourself... perhaps a double identity (You could choose to post as a persona in certain areas of the forum)??
Thanks @Angie10 : viewtopic.php?f=12&t=15619#p272109

4. Regulations... that was mentioned a lot. And I do agree... Facebook is reasonably lax when it comes to what you can post and perhaps forums should do the same so long as content is sectioned off.

5. Ease - of use ... "people are already on Facebook all day" (thank you @thisnthat). There is an ease of use factor to Facebook that you don't get on most forums. In certain respects an app would help: 1. Keeps data costs down. 2. Allows notifications to be sent to the user <-- really important.

6. Celebrity pages (thank you @nerdonforumcoin). Lots of people follow influencers. But.. if you build a good enough forum platform that allows influencers to promote there stuff, they should join. People always want to be the first to something.

7. Photos and galleries (thank you @rage35). Facebook (and reddit and tumblr) are simply much more visual than a typical forum. I think that helps the "browsing"/ "using all day" case.

============================

That's it. Those ideas would be the basis of Forum 2.0 ;) which would be more of a hybrid between a social network and a typical forum. Let me know your thoughts and criticisms!!

Sam

Referrals: 15
ForumCoin: 179

Banner Ad

Re: Why Facebook is better...

Postby Lexi » 10 Nov 2017, 08:23

On Facebook people are more likely to respond when there are short answers. People these days are responding with a GIF or a emoji and then people respond to that.

I have a website, but people still prefer to read the article on Facebook. Maybe they are too lazy to click or it's too convenient for them and they respond there instead of the website.

Lexi

Referrals: 4
ForumCoin: 534

Postby sprite1950 » 10 Nov 2017, 09:06

Facebook attracts an enormous amount of youngsters who can communicate with their friends. They can have an account from the age of 13 and many can't wait to join so from that point of view it will beat forums hands down. What 13 - 16 would prefer to post on a forum when they can chat to their friends on facebook.

At the other end of the scale there are people like me. I know many people who have a facebook account but I don't know anyone on a personal level of my age group (60s) who posts on a forum. Not everyone is into the written word or even wants to express an opinion online so I guess facebook would win there too.

sprite1950

Referrals: 10
ForumCoin: 0

Postby ninjasmile » 10 Nov 2017, 10:02

you can share whatever you want there. from your personal problems to your joyous moments. it's like a television, a radio, an internet search engine in one.

ninjasmile

Referrals: 12
ForumCoin: 366

Postby amitkokiladitya » 11 Nov 2017, 11:25

Facebook was among the first few sites that brought up the concept of social networking. It turned out to be a complete user-friendly platform that made long distance relationships easy. Each and every person adopted Facebook very easily. This is the reason why Facebook is till date very close to the hearts of people. It is only one of its kind and nothing else can replace it very easily.

amitkokiladitya

ForumCoin: 26

Postby liah33 » 11 Nov 2017, 15:04

Definitely, Facebook is one of the best to hang out online depending on the various of topics, different groups you're engage with and the things you're interested in but the most worst things also happens on Facebook. Like there are some bashers bullying around, hackers to get your account and lots of posers to came across.

liah33

ForumCoin: 81

Postby jfcuison » 11 Nov 2017, 15:14

I also think that facebook is better. But, if a forum has an app for android and iOs, I think it can tie up with facebook. Imagine getting notification on your status bar that someone replied to your thread. With just one click you can see the comment easily. And you can carry your phone anytime anywhere. When someone sent you a private message then just click the notification on your phone.

jfcuison

ForumCoin: 55

Postby cmoneyspinner » 11 Nov 2017, 16:33

“Better” is a subjective term.

I get a lot of mileage out of being active in this forum and other forums. Being in the forums is “better” because:

I can actually see – regularly - monetary profit that appears in my PayPal account. That the 1st thing.

The second thing is the value add from the exchange of information and helping each other out to be a successful online.

The third value add is the support provided by the site owners.

The last obvious value add is the genuine friendships cultivated in the forums.

To contrast and compare with Facebook?

Even though there is no instant visible monetary profit for my social activity, I can freely share practically anything … blog posts, affiliate referral links, etc. My activity isn't categorized under specific topic areas. I can either share on my profile timeline or my business page or both. This activity could eventually produce income.

I can get support, helpful advice and tips from others via Facebook groups or just talking one on one with my FB friends.

I very seldom contact Facebook Support for help but when I have I did get help.

I cultivated genuine friendships via Facebook.

So which is “better”?

Yes Facebook is called Facebookistan because its network is big enough to be its own country. But even if the network does reach all around the world, and you still only communicate with say … half the people in the Western part of the world and maybe a few people who live in other parts of the world, that reach doesn't really benefit you that much. Does it?

I don't think either one is “better” than the other. I think they both accomplish the same thing. Both suit my goals and objectives. That's why I sign into both every day. But usually not on Sundays. :D

cmoneyspinner

Referrals: 10
ForumCoin: 1,835

Postby anorona » 14 Nov 2017, 04:54

For me, facebook is the most user friendly among all social media sites and it is for all ages.
You can have many features to use, games, stickers, voice
message, video message etc, which some of the social media site do not offer.

anorona

ForumCoin: 308

Postby tusziget » 14 Nov 2017, 05:42

Yes,you are right about it.Facebook is famous and loved all around the world.

tusziget

ForumCoin: 13

Postby augusta » 14 Nov 2017, 06:18

more people are more likely to join Facebook than forums because people see it as more interacting platform than forums and one can freestyle on Facebook.

augusta

ForumCoin: 6

Postby shamzblueworld » 14 Nov 2017, 10:48

But the question is, can forums every bridge that gap? Can they become as user friendly as a social network?

shamzblueworld

ForumCoin: 274

Postby malot12 » 14 Nov 2017, 15:27

cmoneyspinner wrote:“Better” is a subjective term.

I get a lot of mileage out of being active in this forum and other forums. Being in the forums is “better” because:

I can actually see – regularly - monetary profit that appears in my PayPal account. That the 1st thing.

The second thing is the value add from the exchange of information and helping each other out to be a successful online.

The third value add is the support provided by the site owners.

The last obvious value add is the genuine friendships cultivated in the forums.

To contrast and compare with Facebook?

Even though there is no instant visible monetary profit for my social activity, I can freely share practically anything … blog posts, affiliate referral links, etc. My activity isn't categorized under specific topic areas. I can either share on my profile timeline or my business page or both. This activity could eventually produce income.

I can get support, helpful advice and tips from others via Facebook groups or just talking one on one with my FB friends.

I very seldom contact Facebook Support for help but when I have I did get help.

I cultivated genuine friendships via Facebook.

So which is “better”?

Yes Facebook is called Facebookistan because its network is big enough to be its own country. But even if the network does reach all around the world, and you still only communicate with say … half the people in the Western part of the world and maybe a few people who live in other parts of the world, that reach doesn't really benefit you that much. Does it?

I don't think either one is “better” than the other. I think they both accomplish the same thing. Both suit my goals and objectives. That's why I sign into both every day. But usually not on Sundays. :D

Greatly agree ^_^ for in forum based on observation and experienced the topics posted are commonly money making, just like Forumcoin, when you comment and post, you will earn something while FB didn't. Both sites can gain insights on different ways and different aspects as well. Socialization is also practice to both. I neither can't choose and decide of which is better, for they have its own purpose and importance to me personally ^_^

malot12

ForumCoin: 64

Postby Hugop » 18 Nov 2017, 19:48

Facebook has multiple purposes and functions (Games, School Groups, Facebook Pages, Messenger, posts about ourselves) while the forum world is different. The difference is that forums focus in one category and limits itself to discussions only (which isn't a bad thing!). One category can't beat all categories.

One thing that makes a website popular is having the ability to create multiple "forums/sections/groups". Many "forum creator" websites like IcyBoards, Zetaboards etc. have a lot of traffic, but connectivity between each other is missing. This is why the currently #8 most active website according to Alexa is a forum that has many categories and discussions. Do you know about what forum I am talking about?

Hugop

Referrals: 4
ForumCoin: 1

Postby Chameli » 18 Nov 2017, 21:29

I use facebook for personal and professional networking. I use my real identity on fcebook. However, on forums like this one, I can remain anonymous and communicate with people. You can, of course, use a fake identity on facebook howeve,r with your fake identity you cannot build your facebook profile.

Chameli
Banned

ForumCoin: 170

Next

Your Ad Here.

Return to Webmaster Questions, Discussion & News