*** ForumCoin is Proudly Hosted by Hawk Host ***
ForumCoin is an online community where you earn ForumCoin for making posts and for referring other members. You can use the ForumCoin virtual currency to buy and sell goods and services and to exchange for traditional currencies. Find out more!
BMF Banner Ad
Webmaster forum. Website development, design & management. Graphic design. Blog / Forum Set-up, Management, Admin & News

Re: Hiding their Identity

Postby raaman » 16 Sep 2017, 13:39

Happyland wrote:It is not uncommon for small sites to use such a setup.

It is not only small sites, even big ones are into it.
Happyland wrote:while others are running a legitimate business.

If they are running a legitimate business, why should they hide their identity?

raaman

ForumCoin: 2,985

Postby thisnthat » 16 Sep 2017, 16:34

raaman wrote:If they are running a legitimate business, why should they hide their identity?

To turn that around, if you have the company info, and can contact them if needed, why would you need their identity or private info?

thisnthat

Referrals: 1
ForumCoin: 383

Postby oldfriend » 16 Sep 2017, 17:20

A lot of people like to surf and do things without accepting cookies.

Say you wanted to read a newspaper but they only allowed you 3 views a week. If you are using Firefox you can browse anonymously and therefore read the newspaper as many times as you like.

If you want to go to the Dark Web, there are services that will protect your identity and hide your IP address. These are usually software programs that you pay for.

So, if you decide to sell illegal drugs over the internet, you would need a really good Dark Web Software so the FDA can't locate you. :cry: That would ruin your day and stop your sales.

Another reason is that some people just don't like to comply with the system or lose their privacy rights.

My problem has always been trying to get noticed and recognized. :lol: So, I keep all of my business, internet, and networking readily available.

Oldfriend

oldfriend

ForumCoin: 124

Postby Lexi » 16 Sep 2017, 20:10

There is nothing wrong in wishing to keep things private, and most companies use their lawyers or accountants addresses, and the bulk you will find are serviced offices. I do feel privacy is important as identity theft is on the increase, so why put yourself at risk?

Lexi

Referrals: 4
ForumCoin: 534

Postby raaman » 17 Sep 2017, 12:11

carmilina wrote:its fine to hide your identity to a valid fraud

What is this 'valid' fraud? Is there a invalid fraud too?

raaman

Postby Kakfat » 17 Sep 2017, 14:23

I don't know the service but I guess they hide their identity because they know what they are advertising is not real

Kakfat

ForumCoin: 9

Postby raaman » 17 Sep 2017, 14:33

oldfriend wrote:A lot of people like to surf and do things without accepting cookies.

By the way, is it necessary to accept cookies? And in what way does it relate to the owner hiding his or her identity?

raaman

Postby happycamper » 17 Sep 2017, 15:22

People usually do this for privacy. If i was hosting a website, I sure as heck wouldn't want random people on the internet knowing all about me haha :lol:

happycamper

ForumCoin: 66

Postby oldfriend » 17 Sep 2017, 16:19

raaman wrote:
oldfriend wrote:A lot of people like to surf and do things without accepting cookies.

By the way, is it necessary to accept cookies? And in what way does it relate to the owner hiding his or her identity?

Rejecting or not receiving cookies will NOT make you invisible on the web. It is more complicated than that.

Cookies let you know if the same person is coming back.

When I used to design and write my own websites, cookies would let me know if you were a returning customer if you got to the site by accident or on purpose, what browser you were using, and your location in the world by country.

If you had a sign in form then you could find out a lot more about the particular visitor. It is good for marketing but also has certain drawbacks if you start using the information to spam or harass your customers.

They are, in a lot of ways, necessary evils that make the browsing experience easier and let information flow quicker.

Never think you can erase your presence when you are on the web. Even the Dark Web is never 100% secure.

If it is illegal, eventually you will be exposed.

If the newspaper wants to limit you to reading their paper 3 times a week or you have to pay a subscription, then pay the subscription. Reading it "Privately" is the lower road to take.

Oldfriend

oldfriend

Postby Angie10 » 17 Sep 2017, 16:25

Happyland wrote:It is not uncommon for small sites to use such a setup. Some individuals use it for nefarious reasons while others are running a legitimate business. When handling financial matters you should always use caution.

I understand that some are completely legitimate and have good reasons for hiding their identity. But it's the ones who you just know are getting up to no good who I worry about, because they take advantage of this.

Angie10

Referrals: 4
ForumCoin: 4,450

Postby raaman » 17 Sep 2017, 16:28

oldfriend wrote:If you are using Firefox you can browse anonymously

Is browsing anonymously and hiding one's identity on websites like scamadvisor.com, one and the same?

raaman

Postby oldfriend » 17 Sep 2017, 16:45

raaman wrote:
oldfriend wrote:If you are using Firefox you can browse anonymously

Is browsing anonymously and hiding one's identity on websites like scamadvisor.com, one and the same?

I don't know.

I know a lot of sites won't let you view their information if your browser won't accept cookies

To clarify, cookies, overall are a good thing. It lets your browser move faster and makes your web experience more pleasurable.

If you want to remain anonymous, it will take a lot more than cookies to do so.

If your website takes or exchanges monies or has financial transactions, then you may want to keep it private so competitors or prying eyes can't see everything. (Your insurance company has a list of your prescriptions on their web sites. You enter your ID and password and they know if you are the same person, using the same computer, and they do this for your security. Their internal operations, your account and related information is private so others don't get to see what they are not supposed to see. That would be their reason for having their website secured and private.)

Now you take someone who is in Network Marketing their information would not need to be secure because all of their financial transactions, affiliates, is handled off site of their web page. (i.e. The Networking Company)

We networkers, as a rule, want everyone to be able to get all the information our prospects want.

If you, as aperson, start receiving larger sums of money from products you sell, it will be a requirement that you have a secured web site, that is private, in order to handle transactions with Paypal and related money transaction websites.

Having a web site that is private is not a bad thing. It,just usually, is another expense that a struggling networker doesn't need. (My opinion)

Oldfriend

oldfriend

Postby raaman » 17 Sep 2017, 18:22

Lexi wrote:There is nothing wrong in wishing to keep things private,

May be. But will they at least come forward and disclose their identity to the person concerned when occasion demands?

raaman

Postby thisnthat » 21 Sep 2017, 16:11

raaman wrote:
Lexi wrote:There is nothing wrong in wishing to keep things private,

May be. But will they at least come forward and disclose their identity to the person concerned when occasion demands?

If support is available complete with contact info, and you can get any issues resolved, you wouldn't need their identity. If no contact info/support of any kind is available then yeah, I can see why it might look sketchy.

thisnthat

Referrals: 1
ForumCoin: 383

Postby raaman » 22 Sep 2017, 18:24

happycamper wrote:I sure as heck wouldn't want random people on the internet knowing all about me

Okay. Then will you allow the people concerned to know about you? if so, how you are going to do that?

raaman

PreviousNext

Your Ad Here.

Return to Webmaster Questions, Discussion & News