ForumCoin Special Offer: Free ForumCoin Exchanges Close
Forum Coin is an online community where you earn Forum Coin for making posts and referring other members. You can use that Forum Coin as a virtual currency to buy and sell goods and services and to exchange for traditional, real world currencies. Find out more!
Webmaster forum. Website development, design & management. Graphic design. Blog / Forum Set-up, Management, Admin & News

What does Facebook have that forums don't?

Postby Sam » 07 Mar 2017, 21:04

There's been a lot of discussion on the demise of forums but I wonder what specifically about Facebook (groups) makes it (them) more appealing than a forum? I personally prefer to post opinions on a forum because:
--> It's much more transparent. I can see who the members of staff are (the admins) and the rules of posting are often clearly laid out. This is super important to me because Facebook group admins aren't at all accountable.
--> The quality and knowledge is better (IMO).
--> I can chose a level of anonymity to a certain extent.

Sam
Community Moderator

Referrals: 12
ForumCoin: 1,292

Re: What does Facebook have that forums don't?

Postby WorkAtHomeGal » 07 Mar 2017, 22:09

I can't even think of what would make Facebook more exciting over a Forum... I guess for local groups being made it would be a bonus but not everyone uses those. Heck the only local groups I am a member of are swap and sell walls which I post to more for my dad then me because he won't learn how to use a computer. Facebook I suppose some people may think they know the people better, but there are tons of fake profiles there too. I prefer forums because in some ways I can keep part of identity hidden from real people that know me. Which yes that does mean I don't want everyone knowing my online business. I also too find the admins are easier to see and connect with on a Forum over a Facebook group page.

WorkAtHomeGal

Referrals: 19
ForumCoin: 377

Postby Alexandoy » 08 Mar 2017, 01:32

Maybe the question should be what does Facebook doesn't have that forums have. Forums have a theme and categorized boards. And although most forums have off-topic boards, it's still controlled. With Facebook, it is an open field that you can post almost anything (of course, that excludes indecent items). And the connection in Facebook matters most, that is being friends.

Alexandoy

ForumCoin: 284

Postby germainebull » 08 Mar 2017, 07:49

Facebook is akin to a blank slate onto which users are allowed to discuss anything under the sun. This is one reason why facebook is highly popular with dodgy characters who want to execute nefarious schemes such as conning unsuspected colleagues.

germainebull

Referrals: 32
ForumCoin: 205

Postby earthsalt » 08 Mar 2017, 08:30

Sam wrote:This is super important to me because Facebook group admins aren't at all accountable.

I have come across a number of facebook admins who are blatantly dishonest. I thereby categorize facebook as an ideal breeding ground for many online scams.

earthsalt
Banned

ForumCoin: 80

Postby sprite1950 » 08 Mar 2017, 09:55

It's because it's so personal although that's one of the reasons I don't always like it. We actually know a lot of people personally on our facebook whereas here we only have our online persona .. well for the most part, some people might know each other but I don't know anyone in person here.

Facebook is much more involved than a forum. People post chit chat, their problems, their deepest thoughts, pictures of their families, it's huge .. we don't do that here. If we posted half the stuff that went up on facebook we would be banned , one word comments etc. You can put more or less what you like up there.

sprite1950

Referrals: 7
ForumCoin: 2,580

Postby Angie10 » 08 Mar 2017, 10:45

Well, Facebook is really your own little personal space where we get to interact with friends, family and maybe some strangers you've never met online, if you choose to. -and although there are rules you need to observe on Facebook, it's less rigid than most forums. Facebook allows us to be as open as we choose to be (within reason lol), whereas forums are virtual spaces through we we interact with people the world over who we only know via the virtual world. So you always havet o show more restraint and remember all the various stipulations.

Angie10

Referrals: 2
ForumCoin: 1,925

Postby germainebull » 09 Mar 2017, 13:19

While there is virtually no regulation regarding posting on facebook, I doubt there is a single site out there is devoid of posting regulations.

germainebull

Postby earthsalt » 09 Mar 2017, 13:56

Whereas most forums are careful to outlaw content that could be off-putting to users, Facebook allows users free rein to post whatever content they deem fit. A significant difference.

earthsalt
Banned

Postby thisnthat » 10 Mar 2017, 15:00

Another reason might be that people are already on Facebook all day (at least some of them). They can easily check their groups while they're there.

I think some people like the more personal setting. I for one do not, but then again, I'm not the kind of person that likes to tell my life story to strangers. I don't need to take a selfie or update my status every five minutes. I don't want the world to know what color underwear I'm wearing today or that my dog just barfed or any other inane thing that people post about constantly. Some people do like that though. To each his/her own.

Last edited by thisnthat on 11 Mar 2017, 20:00, edited 1 time in total.
thisnthat

Referrals: 1
ForumCoin: 393

Postby earthsalt » 10 Mar 2017, 15:38

Facebook is an ideal platform for those of us suffering from narcissistic disorder to perfect the art of self-aggrandizement. Try such self-serving activities here and you will be gone before we reprimand you.

earthsalt
Banned

Postby thisnthat » 11 Mar 2017, 20:02

I don't really think we're at the forums demise stage anyway. It seems new ones start all the time. Of course, if they will stick around/thrive is the real question. They do have more competition now with social media and not just FB. Pinterest is huge too. I'd rather be on there sharing stuff than on most forums.

thisnthat

Referrals: 1
ForumCoin: 393

Postby morgoodie » 12 Mar 2017, 03:21

I am really fed up with FB and hardly ever go on there anymore. I don't like FB groups either since it is hard to keep up with the conversations on there unlike a forum where everything isn't a constant stream of posts. If that makes sense as to what I mean. I would rather post on a forum like here rather than a FB group.

morgoodie

ForumCoin: 1,718

Postby earthsalt » 12 Mar 2017, 09:01

Angie10 wrote:Facebook allows us to be as open as we choose to be (within reason lol),

This is a bitter-sweet fact of facebook. The vast openness allowed on this site has been misused by certain users, unfortunately. To the detriment of other users and non-users.

earthsalt
Banned

Postby germainebull » 12 Mar 2017, 14:11

Facebook expects users to enable it earn advertising income but does not have formal ways of rewarding users. Conversely, most forums have enough decency to compensate users for their time and efforts.

germainebull

Next

Return to Webmaster Questions, Discussion & News