New: New Contest for August 1 to August 31, 2019 / Prize 100 FC Close
ForumCoin is an online community where you earn ForumCoin for making posts and for referring other members. You can use the ForumCoin virtual currency to buy and sell goods and services and to exchange for traditional currencies. Find out more!
Webmaster forum. Website development, design & management. Graphic design. Blog / Forum Set-up, Management, Admin & News

Re: Lenght for a blog post

Postby sofs » 24 Jan 2019, 05:12

dominique wrote:
sofs wrote:Its great to have 700 words and three ads but do readers have the patience for it?
Its great for the business but is it good for the reader?
Why are there more subscribers to vlogs and youtube channels than blogs?
Are today's readers more tuned to multi tasking which is possible with videos or vlogs rather than blogs?
Just a few questions that come to mind when I see how blogs are fading out.

In my experience, people do read your post. However, in order to encourage people to read your content, you need to have attractive title and grab attention in the first paragraph.

I have no doubts about that.. but I am talking about the mind of the reader today.
I think for most, reading long posts is passe .
Short attention grabbing posts may be the thing we need to look at. (Google may not like it. )
Take a look at AI blogs - they are direct, to the point, interactive in nature and maybe the next big thing to happen online.
I maybe wrong, but this is my gut feeling.

sofs

ForumCoin: 2,883

Postby Katriona_22 » 24 Jan 2019, 05:16

I think 300 words would be a minimum and 700 words as maximum would be great for a blog, longer than that will make it boring to read. That's my opinion because I don't like reading long stories or articles.

Katriona_22

Referrals: 3
ForumCoin: 543

Postby Chameli » 24 Jan 2019, 09:28

Katriona_22 wrote:I think 300 words would be a minimum and 700 words as maximum would be great for a blog, longer than that will make it boring to read. That's my opinion because I don't like reading long stories or articles.

You do not like reading long post does not mean others will also not read long post. I prefer a post with complete information. In other to fulfill that the post needs to be at least 700 words. I read for information.

Chameli
Banned

ForumCoin: 170

Postby augusta » 25 Jan 2019, 04:16

Just writing to a maximum of words that can capture the whole essence if a topic will be okay. But then it should be still be kept as short as possible but the post important thing is passing the message across very well.

augusta

ForumCoin: 320

Postby MABEL » 28 Jan 2019, 11:31

I think 300 words could be enough length for a blog. I'm fun of a blog which I look forward for the next series. I don't like that super long which sometimes makes me miss some details.

MABEL

ForumCoin: 386

Postby theresajane » 28 Jan 2019, 14:00

I think it's better to be shorter, don't aim for your blog to be lengthy as you can. It is because majority of the people don't pay too much attention on lengthy blogs, it tires them.

theresajane

ForumCoin: 250

Postby Rational Mind » 28 Jan 2019, 22:05

MABEL wrote:I think 300 words could be enough length for a blog. I'm fun of a blog which I look forward for the next series. I don't like that super long which sometimes makes me miss some details.

If you are a true blogger you need to aim for longer posts. Longer posts will have a favor from search engines, you can add more ad units and you also can produce quality.

Rational Mind
Banned

ForumCoin: 34

Postby sofs » 02 Feb 2019, 10:19

MABEL wrote:I think 300 words could be enough length for a blog. I'm fun of a blog which I look forward for the next series. I don't like that super long which sometimes makes me miss some details.

I think that is how readers react, but google doesn't think so. Google favors articles that are longer. Search engine seem to have a different mind. Bloggers think we need more words for more ads, there seems to be a total disconnect in all this to my mind.

sofs

Postby Rational Mind » 02 Feb 2019, 22:16

sofs wrote:I think that is how readers react, but google doesn't think so. Google favors articles that are longer. Search engine seem to have a different mind. Bloggers think we need more words for more ads, there seems to be a total disconnect in all this to my mind.

People read long contents, however, your contents must be useful and interesting. If you have published something new which is not found else where, visitors will read your long content.

Rational Mind
Banned

Postby Tendz » 02 Feb 2019, 22:25

I think, a blog post should be at least 500 words long. But if it goes beyond 500 words, then it's well and good. Readers will have enough information about the topic

Tendz

ForumCoin: 1,512

Postby sofs » 03 Feb 2019, 06:35

dominique wrote:
sofs wrote:I think that is how readers react, but google doesn't think so. Google favors articles that are longer. Search engine seem to have a different mind. Bloggers think we need more words for more ads, there seems to be a total disconnect in all this to my mind.

People read long contents, however, your contents must be useful and interesting. If you have published something new which is not found else where, visitors will read your long content.

Serious researchers or readers will do that, but I doubt that the average surfer of the internet may not have the patience to read till he/she gets to the meat of the post. But from what I gather an average reader bounces off from post to post unless you have the meat displayed right in front in a clean and easily accessible manner in the form of Bullets and points. Look at the bounce rates and it will tell you a different story. I have some of my articles linked in scholarly journals but the average bounce rate on the same articles are high because they are long and go into a lot of stats and research findings.

sofs

Postby Chameli » 03 Feb 2019, 06:56

Why do people search on Google? That's right they are looking for information. If they find what they are looking for they will surely read the content. Therefore, I believe if you want to receive search traffic, you have to write long contents.

Chameli
Banned

Postby a_jerobon » 09 Feb 2019, 06:13

I don't like reading super long posts. They just take up much time and most of the information is too much told. I prefer the short and straight to the point articles. They are much easier to read and understand.

a_jerobon

Referrals: 1
ForumCoin: 182

Postby Chameli » 09 Feb 2019, 09:27

a_jerobon wrote:I don't like reading super long posts. They just take up much time and most of the information is too much told. I prefer the short and straight to the point articles. They are much easier to read and understand.

when I am reading, I do not care about the length, what I actually care is the information in the post. If the post is informative, I will read even a 2k words article. However, if there is no useful information. I will give up reading a piece that is less than 300 words.

Chameli
Banned

Postby Rational Mind » 11 Feb 2019, 17:36

Length is not the reason why people are not reading your contents. It is the poor quality of the content that is putting readers off from your website.

Rational Mind
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to Webmaster Questions, Discussion & News