ForumCoin Special Offer: Free ForumCoin Exchanges Close
Forum Coin is an online community where you earn Forum Coin for making posts and referring other members. You can use that Forum Coin as a virtual currency to buy and sell goods and services and to exchange for traditional, real world currencies. Find out more!
Webmaster forum. Website development, design & management. Graphic design. Blog / Forum Set-up, Management, Admin & News

100 % Cyber security is impossible

Postby wikifarmer » 14 May 2017, 16:59

If we look into the past decade, the number of cases involving cyber hacking has been gradually increasing, we have seen some serious cases where hackers have caused great losses to the country, the recent cases include a group of hackers who called themselves " Turkish crime family" threatened Apple to wipe data from millions of Apple devices in two weeks if the company doesn’t pay them $150,000. The group sent an email that said it has access to the database of about 519 million iCloud accounts and would erase all the data of these accounts if the company failed to pay the ransom. However this hasn't made much news and apple also has refused to pay the ransom to the crime family.
One more news that has going viral in all the social media and communication systems is that a group of hackers have launched a large scale cyber attack covering over hundred countries including about 150,000 computers. A software called Ransomeware which uses a virus called "Wanna cry virus " is said to have been used by the hackers to gain control over the computers all over the world. The cyber crime says that computers running on windows OS have been the main targets for the hack .A code that is believed to have stolen from NSA of US has been made us to launch the large scale attack. Initially an email congaing the software "ransomware" is sent to the computers running on Microsoft windows, no sooner the mail is clicked open, the virus is unleashed that transfers the controls of that computer to the hackers. The attack has not spared any departments including hospitals and the hackers are demanding a price to unlock each computer. They have also instructed that the payment should only be made through Bitcoins, if the ransom is not paid within three days, then the price would be doubled and if the payment is not made in seven days then we will wipe the the entire data in the computer, Hackers have said.

So this has been Biggest ransomware attack in history, researchers with security software maker Avast said they had observed 57,000 infections in over 100 countries with India, China and US the top targets. So by seeing all these i have all ready started to feel that it is impossible to provide 100 % cyber security.

wikifarmer

ForumCoin: 32

Re: 100 % Cyber security is impossible

Postby remnant » 15 May 2017, 15:51

Cyber insecurity has gotten so bad that even encrypted layers me security precautions around sensitive systems in the developed world are falling prey to hackers. Thats why its imperative to make sure that you don't keep large amounts me cash online especially with payment processors. Have long constantly changing passwords.

remnant

ForumCoin: 4

Postby haripriyavkl » 15 May 2017, 16:22

Oh my god. This is bad news and really I am terrified know about that ransomeware software which will implant a virus which will lock our computers. This is really bad and a very bad way of earning money. With the development in technology every day the threats are also increasing. We should be careful as much as possible. TYhanks for sharing this very important information to us.

haripriyavkl

ForumCoin: 492

Postby thisnthat » 16 May 2017, 15:07

Nothing is truly secure or "unhackable" if you ask me. I never understood why people are so open to clicking on whatever they see. Even those who try to be careful can still be vulnerable, but it does help to have good security measures in place.

Kaspersky won't let you open stuff that even seems suspicious. I like that (of course, nothing is foolproof though).

You can get ransomeware on your phone too.

thisnthat

Referrals: 1
ForumCoin: 381

Postby Alexandoy » 16 May 2017, 21:55

With the recent news of the malware Wcry which victimized computers in Europe and other parts of the world, it is getting scary to surf the internet. I don't think there would be a total prevention of viruses and malwares so cyber security is already an industry.

Alexandoy

ForumCoin: 150

Postby Fergal » 17 May 2017, 06:41

The most important steps to protect yourself against something like WannaCry are:

1. Take regular backups of everything you need and keep those backups separate from your computer
2. Ensure you have the latest version and patches of the software you use, especially your operating system
3. Don't click on links or open emails, unless you trust the source and know what you are clicking on. You also need to be careful that the email is really coming from the person it claims to be and not someone spoofing the email.

Unfortunately even if you are very careful, there is no such thing as 100% security.

Fergal
Site Admin

ForumCoin: 15,191

Postby CyberFreak » 17 May 2017, 20:44

Adding on from Fergal's points above, using a software that offers Ransomware protection can be useful against Ransomware which is taking the headlines at the moment. Bitdefender which I used until recently had this and if a program tried to modify/encrypt certain directories, you have to approve it. Also Malwarebytes 3 provides ransomware protection aswell.

Be careful what you download aswell. Don't get into the habit of downloading random software that sounds cool from companies that you don't know, installing known programs like Google Chrome etc from sources other than the official location or being sucked in by software that says install this to earn a $100 Amazon gift certificate etc

What the recent WannaCry scenario shows is the importance of taking security seriously. So many people seem to brag about still using Windows XP and calling the latest versions of Windows bad but an upto date recent version of Windows would have been secure against WannaCry. Same with users who were annoyed with Microsoft for being quite forceful with applying updates to Windows 10. Some users take security so low priority wise that if Microsoft wasn't so forceful, they would probably not update as they see them as pointless and an inconvenience. Microsoft gets kicked quite hard but really the biggest issue is that many users don't take security seriously but then cry when something happens. The UK NHS running Windows XP is inexcusable though. Nothing is really more confidential than medical information and running such an outdated OS is shocking really.

Bad things will still happen but taking security seriously will make things harder/less likely to happen.

CyberFreak
Tech Admin

Referrals: 14
ForumCoin: 52,740

Postby suny » 17 May 2017, 23:30

If I believe what I have been reading in Indian e-newspapers and watching on Indian news channels for last 3-4 days is that everyone is scared of the latest attack of hackers. Even the ATMs are being used rarely as they are afraid there accounts could be hacked. India is on the list of hackers but according to reports Russians are worse affected country by this attack.

suny

Referrals: 9
ForumCoin: 1,742

Postby Fergal » 18 May 2017, 06:02

CyberFreak wrote:Bitdefender which I used until recently had this and if a program tried to modify/encrypt certain directories, you have to approve it. Also Malwarebytes 3 provides ransomware protection aswell.

Is there one of them that you would recommend over the other? How do you feel they compare against McAfee?

Fergal
Site Admin

ForumCoin: 15,191

Postby chikitta » 19 May 2017, 16:38

It's just like you have said. Cyber insecurity cannot be 100% secure. There is too much going on in the internet world people have become smarter and are able to do whatever whenever they feel like

chikitta

Referrals: 1
ForumCoin: 70

Postby cmoneyspinner » 20 May 2017, 02:10

* * Anything created by humans does not have 100% guarantee. But when it comes to cyber security, we should strive to get as close to 100% as humanly possible and make good use of our human intelligence to overcome any "flaws".

cmoneyspinner

Referrals: 2
ForumCoin: 205

Postby Happyland » 25 May 2017, 04:29

We should not use the word always very often but when it comes to cyber security, there always is a vulnerability somewhere. Those vulnerabilities can happen even during a simple upgrade or some other change to a system. Sometimes all it takes is an unsuspecting individual to click the wrong thing and malware can spread throughout a network. You will see Blackberry emerge as a leader in securing certain enterprise and sovereign networks especially around mobility.

Happyland

ForumCoin: 1,291

Postby skysnap » 25 May 2017, 07:47

It;d be interesting to see how the ransomware is going to be managed in near future.

skysnap

ForumCoin: 370

Postby peachpurple » 25 May 2017, 08:23

any websites online are prone to hackers or cyber attackers. Take a good look at Yahoo. A great site that had been hacked and now they are taking precautions which they should had taken years ago

peachpurple

Referrals: 2
ForumCoin: 94

Postby CyberFreak » 31 May 2017, 21:14

Fergal wrote:
CyberFreak wrote:Bitdefender which I used until recently had this and if a program tried to modify/encrypt certain directories, you have to approve it. Also Malwarebytes 3 provides ransomware protection aswell.

Is there one of them that you would recommend over the other? How do you feel they compare against McAfee?
Bitdefender was probably the better of the two but they are quite different. Bitdefender is a full blown Anti-Virus/Malware suite where as MalwareBytes is typically used alongside the main Anti-virus products. That said Malwarebytes 3 has been causing me all sorts of issues so I don't actually use it anymore until they sort it out.

CyberFreak
Tech Admin

Referrals: 14
ForumCoin: 52,740

Next

Return to Webmaster Questions, Discussion & News