ForumCoin Special Offer: .info Domain for only 60 ForumCoin Close
Forum Coin is an online community where you earn Forum Coin for making posts and referring other members. You can use that Forum Coin as a virtual currency to buy and sell goods and services and to exchange for traditional, real world currencies. Find out more!
Ask Me Anything and Interviews. Start your AMA here.

Re: Ask Fergal?

Postby Decentlady » 21 Nov 2016, 09:09

Can you read people's PMs?

Decentlady

Referrals: 2
ForumCoin: 571

Postby Fergal » 21 Nov 2016, 18:09

Thanks for your question Decentlady.

Decentlady wrote:Can you read people's PMs?

Assuming you mean PMs that members send to each other, we don't read those. As the owner of the forum I do have access to the DataBase where all our content is stored, so if I really wanted to I could probably access PMs through the DB, however that's not something we have ever done or have any intention of doing.

Fergal
Site Admin

ForumCoin: 5,022

Postby Decentlady » 22 Nov 2016, 13:37

Thank you for answering that. Here is other related one:

If we delete PM from our inbox, does it get deleted from your database as well?

Decentlady

Postby Angie10 » 22 Nov 2016, 15:04

Fergal wrote:Thanks for your question Decentlady.

Decentlady wrote:Can you read people's PMs?

Assuming you mean PMs that members send to each other, we don't read those. As the owner of the forum I do have access to the DataBase where all our content is stored, so if I really wanted to I could probably access PMs through the DB, however that's not something we have ever done or have any intention of doing.

Phew, thank God LOL Not that I have anything to hide. It's just comforting that you guys have no interest in snooping around what's said in confidence among various members!

Angie10

ForumCoin: 2,106

Postby raaman » 22 Nov 2016, 16:13

May I know the reason as to why you are not uploading your photo on the site?

raaman

ForumCoin: 568

Postby Fergal » 22 Nov 2016, 21:00

Decentlady wrote:If we delete PM from our inbox, does it get deleted from your database as well?

I would assume so, but CyberFreak could give a more definitive answer on that one.

raaman wrote:May I know the reason as to why you are not uploading your photo on the site?

I'm not sure why I would share my photo here to tell you the truth, however, if you are really curious you can look me up on LinkedIn and see my photo there, you are also very welcome to connect there if you so wish :)

Fergal
Site Admin

Postby Husainkoliraskr » 23 Nov 2016, 04:36

If i start a new topic then do i get points??
Why I am getting different. points in same discussion ? Sometime 1 or sometime 2

Husainkoliraskr

ForumCoin: 267

Postby shamzblueworld » 23 Nov 2016, 05:03

I don't know if it has been asked before or not, could not find on the replies that I have seen so far,
What is your day job?

shamzblueworld

ForumCoin: 39

Postby germainebull » 23 Nov 2016, 07:20

You recently submitted a post advising us on where to post job leads. I cannot locate this post on the BMW forum. Could you please refresh my memory and guide me in the right direction?

germainebull

Referrals: 25
ForumCoin: 730

Postby Fergal » 23 Nov 2016, 08:15

Please note that you will get answers to questions regarding ForumCoin, quicker by posting those questions in our ForumCoin Related Discussions section.

Husainkoliraskr wrote:If i start a new topic then do i get points??
Why I am getting different. points in same discussion ? Sometime 1 or sometime 2

Please have a look at this FAQ - How to earn ForumCoin?

shamzblueworld wrote:What is your day job?

Thanks for your question shamzblueworld. I work in software testing and QA, doing automated testing on client website, desktop and mobile apps using an automated software testing tool called Ranorex.

germainebull wrote:You recently submitted a post advising us on where to post job leads. I cannot locate this post on the BMW forum. Could you please refresh my memory and guide me in the right direction?

Here you go - Job Vacancies - Please post all vacancies here.

Fergal
Site Admin

Postby shamzblueworld » 23 Nov 2016, 10:29

That's great. Can I ask what's your academic level and major?

shamzblueworld

ForumCoin: 39

Postby raaman » 23 Nov 2016, 17:14

Fergal wrote:I'm not sure why I would share my photo here to tell you the truth

This reply appears evasive and not convincing.

raaman

ForumCoin: 568

Postby Fergal » 24 Nov 2016, 19:14

shamzblueworld wrote:That's great. Can I ask what's your academic level and major?

Thanks for your question shamzblueworld, when I finished school I did a four year course in marketing which gave a BSc in Management and an Advanced Diploma in Marketing. Some years later I did a part time Diploma course in Legal Studies and in 2012 I completed a post-graduate course in Computing.

raaman wrote:This reply appears evasive and not convincing.

Sorry if it came across that way raaman, what I really meant is that I never thought members would be interested in seeing my photo. However, if anyone wants to all they need to do is look me up on LinkedIn.

Fergal
Site Admin

Postby CyberFreak » 26 Nov 2016, 05:46

Fergal wrote:
Decentlady wrote:If we delete PM from our inbox, does it get deleted from your database as well?

I would assume so, but CyberFreak could give a more definitive answer on that one.

The way it works is actually a bit more complex than that. For a PM to be deleted from the database both the sender and the recipient needs to delete the PM. If a PM is still in a users inbox or sent box, it will stay in the database so just deleting the PM as the recipient isn't enough. While you shouldn't pass confidential information via a forum, if you do, do it via PM and when the PM is read, get the recipient to delete the PM and then delete it yourself from your sent folder and it will be deleted from our server. It may still exist in our database backups though. Really we would prefer you to not give out any personal information to other users through our site and instead use other more secure means to do so where it is more secure/encrypted and restricted.

CyberFreak
Tech Admin

Referrals: 12
ForumCoin: 46,403

Postby Decentlady » 26 Nov 2016, 07:14

Thanks @CyberFreak for clarification.

Decentlady

PreviousNext

Return to AMAs & Interviews