ForumCoin Special Offer: .info Domain for only 60 ForumCoin Close
Forum Coin is an online community where you earn Forum Coin for making posts and referring other members. You can use that Forum Coin as a virtual currency to buy and sell goods and services and to exchange for traditional, real world currencies. Find out more!
Ask Me Anything and Interviews. Start your AMA here.

Ask Fergal?

Postby Fergal » 16 Sep 2016, 18:15

Intro / About
Founder and owner of ForumCoin
Live in Ireland
Software QA Consultant by day :)

Ask me some questions :)

Sorry, but I probably won't answer personal questions relating to family.

Last edited by Fergal on 07 Oct 2016, 16:47, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: About added
Fergal
Site Admin

ForumCoin: 5,002

Re: Ask Fergal?

Postby skysnap » 16 Sep 2016, 18:24

I have plenty of questions but for now just two which are more related to business :P

What are some of the business models online that have worked for you?

And what are some of the offline business models that you have tried?

skysnap

ForumCoin: 866

Postby sherryinutah » 16 Sep 2016, 20:49

Fergal wrote:Ask me some questions :)

Sorry, but I probably won't answer personal questions relating to family.

Come on, Fergal. We want all kinds of personal stuff. Let's get it all out on the table. :P

Just kidding.

Are you a computer programmer?

What made you decide to own and manage this forum?

sherryinutah

ForumCoin: 374

Postby Lexi » 16 Sep 2016, 21:08

To Fergal,

Have you ever kissed the Blarney Stone and do you believe in leprechauns?

Just for fun..

Lexi

Referrals: 1
ForumCoin: 171

Postby oldbuddy » 16 Sep 2016, 23:47

How long will you be willing to keep Forum Coin if it's in the red?

And what can we do to help?

How I Conquered The Problem On Clixsense
Of Losing Focus WHILE VIEWING ADS So I Couldn't Multitask!
CICK HERE to see my SIMPLE BUT ELEGANT SOLUTION!
oldbuddy

Referrals: 23
ForumCoin: 419

Postby Fergal » 17 Sep 2016, 09:39

Thanks everyone for your interesting questions.

skysnap wrote:What are some of the business models online that have worked for you?

My interest has been in forums and especially those with an online currency element. I purchased a small (approx 1,700 posts) forum in 2004 called HostBidder. After buying it we added a forum currency called HB, which members could use to purchase website hosting and domain names. This was long before BitCoin, which wasn't released until Jan 2009.

The next forum I owned was ForumPromotion, which is where I met CyberFreak. We grew that to the point where it had over one million posts and it had a forum currency called FP which members could use to purchase content, promotion and other services for their forums.

I also created and grew BusinessAdviceForum (BAF) which had a forum currency called BAF Cash. BAF was not the most active forum but it did very well in the search engines for competitive business related search terms and became an excellent source of advice for anyone starting or running a small business.

sherryinutah wrote:What made you decide to own and manage this forum?

My interest in forums that included a forum currency lead to the idea of ForumCoin, when CyberFreak agreed to help with starting the forum it was a great help as he had a lot of the required technical knowledge, which I lacked.

skysnap wrote:And what are some of the offline business models that you have tried?

Any business I had has been online, other than that I have worked in call centre, property development and IT businesses. I also had the pleasure of working for four years with a government and EU funded enterprise development agency which supported small businesses.

sherryinutah wrote:Are you a computer programmer?

Not yet, but I am improving my knowledge in this area. At work I do automated software testing and as part of that I am using and continually learning C# to write automated test scripts. I also have some knowledge of HTML, CSS, PHP, JavaScript and Java but unfortunately not enough to confidently describe myself as a computer programmer. However, I plan on changing that within the next two years.

Lexi wrote:Have you ever kissed the Blarney Stone...

Yes when I was about 2 years old, I was quite chatty when I was younger, but much quieter now, perhaps I should revisit it to get the gift of the gab again :)

Lexi wrote:...do you believe in leprechauns?

Definitely, they are great for our tourism industry, especially for an area quite local to me called Carlingford :)

oldbuddy wrote:How long will you be willing to keep Forum Coin if it's in the red?

I love ForumCoin and we have plans to continue growing steadily in the future, the costs of running the site are low and advertising revenue increases as we grow, so I don't see any issues in that area. Online currencies are a hugely growing area and a currency such as ForumCoin, which can be earned without any complicated mining has excellent potential.

oldbuddy wrote:And what can we do to help?

Just keep doing what you are doing, posting quality content, suggesting features and improvements for the site and referring others. If everybody does that it will greatly help the community and we will continue to grow.

Thanks again everyone for those great questions.

Fergal
Site Admin

Postby Angie10 » 17 Sep 2016, 09:58

Thanks for all the answers, Fergal :) I'm so happy to learn you're planning to take ForumCoin as far as you can. I'm sure I speak for the whole community when I say we'll stick it out with you for as long as you'll have us. It's not easy to find an online community that embraces everyone, where everyone feels right at home and for me, ForumCoin is one of those special sites. Keep up the good work that you and CyberFreak are doing :)

My question to you, which you may or may not want to answer; seeing as ForumCoin is enjoying relative success and has been going for quite a while, do you have any other online ventures in the pipeline?

Angie10

Referrals: 2
ForumCoin: 2,072

Postby sprite1950 » 17 Sep 2016, 10:11

How much time do you actually need to spend here to keep it running smoothly? I'm sure there is a lot going on behind the scenes that we don't know about.

sprite1950

Referrals: 2
ForumCoin: 1,868

Postby IcyFirefly » 17 Sep 2016, 10:19

Do you read all the threads that were posted on ForumCoin?

And are you pleased with your users?

IcyFirefly

ForumCoin: 12

Postby kisser » 17 Sep 2016, 10:38

if you go back to the moment you decided to start up forumcoin and it was decision time would you open it ?

kisser

ForumCoin: 19

Postby darrensurrey » 17 Sep 2016, 11:02

Do you have change for a fiver?

darrensurrey

ForumCoin: 1,101

Postby skysnap » 17 Sep 2016, 13:30

Thank you Fergal for the answers. :)

skysnap

ForumCoin: 866

Postby Fergal » 17 Sep 2016, 13:35

Thanks everyone for the great questions.

Angie10 wrote:do you have any other online ventures in the pipeline?

No not at all, I am focusing more and more on ForumCoin. In the past one of my problems has been that I spread myself too thinly and didn't focus enough. I still do that to some extent but am getting better at focusing on doing a small number of things to completion. As a result ForumCoin is the only site I am doing any work on or spending any time on and that's the way it will be for some time.

I also own http://proudirish.com (the first site I ever created) and http://bannerslam.com. However, I don't spend any time on them and actually rarely visit them, which shows as they are neglected.

sprite1950 wrote:How much time do you actually need to spend here to keep it running smoothly? I'm sure there is a lot going on behind the scenes that we don't know about.

CyberFreak does the more technical work on ForumCoin so that saves me a lot of time, as does the good work done by our forum Moderators. I try to work on the site every day, responding to PMs, reading and responding to posts etc. On weekends I spend time doing work such as developing ideas to grow the community.

As we grow, I spend more and more time on the site. On most weeks it is probably about 7 - 20 hours per week and as previously mentioned that is growing as the site grows and I clear other tasks to focus more on ForumCoin.

IcyFirefly wrote:Do you read all the threads that were posted on ForumCoin?

And are you pleased with your users?

Yes, I read all threads and am very happy with our users. We have a lot of great posts on the community and there are countless examples of where members have made a great effort to help, support and advise other members. It's very encouraging to see this and it is a good example of how strong the ForumCoin community is.

kisser wrote:if you go back to the moment you decided to start up forumcoin and it was decision time would you open it ?

Most definitely, the time I spend here is always a pleasure and with the growth of online currencies together with how easy and straight-forward ForumCoin is in comparison to others, I believe we have a great future.

darrensurrey wrote:Do you have change for a fiver?

Absolutely, I always have spare change lying around, I could probably even change a fiver Sterling. However, if you are looking for change for larger currency denominations I might run into difficulty :)

Fergal
Site Admin

Postby darrensurrey » 17 Sep 2016, 14:44

I'll post you a fiver, you post me a fiver in 2p pieces. :D

Serious hat on, tell me about this: I also had the pleasure of working for four years with a government and EU funded enterprise development agency which supported small businesses.

darrensurrey

ForumCoin: 1,101

Postby Happyland » 17 Sep 2016, 16:18

Hi Fergal, I like forum coin and would like to see it continue to succeed. My question-- could there be a time when membership growth outpaces the growth in revenue? Is there a certain number of members that the site/ad revenue no longer could support? Thanks.

-- 17 Sep 2016, 11:25 --

How did you come up with the name ForumCoin? Were there other names you had in mind?

Now We Can Search And Earn From This International Search Engine:
https://searchtrade.com/index.php?ref=e ... gnUpDialog
Happyland

ForumCoin: 1,013

Next

Return to AMAs & Interviews