ForumCoin Special Offer: .info Domain for only 60 ForumCoin Close
Forum Coin is an online community where you earn Forum Coin for making posts and referring other members. You can use that Forum Coin as a virtual currency to buy and sell goods and services and to exchange for traditional, real world currencies. Find out more!
Talk hardware, software, computer gaming, mobile devices, the Internet and other technology

Marbles instead of ballot papers during voting

Postby germainebull » 09 Dec 2016, 05:44

Recently, Gambia, an African country, held its general elections. The country's election managers used marbles instead of paper scripts (ballot papers) as voting materials. Voters were thus not required to write during the voting process.

This got me thinking, is Gambia justified to use these unorthodox voting materials, given the existence of technology that would allow voters to vote electronically?

Last edited by germainebull on 10 Dec 2016, 07:21, edited 2 times in total.
germainebull

Referrals: 24
ForumCoin: 417

Re: Marbles instead of papers during voting

Postby chikitta » 09 Dec 2016, 13:38

Marbles? Goodness what's the actual reason that they decided to use marbles? The way technology has gone so far? Some people actually need to style up.

chikitta

Referrals: 1
ForumCoin: 457

Re: Marbles instead of papers during voting

Postby germainebull » 10 Dec 2016, 07:20

chikitta wrote:Marbles? Goodness what's the actual reason that they decided to use marbles? The way technology has gone so far? Some people actually need to style up.

I think they resorted to marbles owing to the need to keep costs low. I guess you agree with me that marbles are extremely cheap. In my country, a single marble costs about $0.01. If you compare this arguably negligible cost to the cost of printing a single ballot paper, you can understand the cost-reduction utility of marbles.

germainebull

Re: Marbles instead of ballot papers during voting

Postby TeacherAngel » 29 Dec 2016, 09:46

I might sound paranoid but such method would be prone to cheating.

TeacherAngel

ForumCoin: 671

Postby germainebull » 29 Dec 2016, 11:20

TeacherAngel wrote:I might sound paranoid but such method would be prone to cheating.

My thoughts exactly. Come to think of it; what would prevent a rogue elections manager from scooping some marbles from a particular candidate's container and putting the same in the container of a rival candidate?

germainebull

Postby agape » 10 Jan 2017, 16:26

Ironically, this would be acceptable in rich nations that have advanced voting systems. Not in backward, poor nations that are usually plagued by much corruption.

agape

ForumCoin: 3

Postby germainebull » 13 Jan 2017, 08:15

agape wrote:Ironically, this would be acceptable in rich nations that have advanced voting systems. Not in backward, poor nations that are usually plagued by much corruption.

I agree with you; most advanced nations do not suffer under the suffocating levels of corruption that is witnessed in 3rd world countries.
Wait; do you see a cause-effect-relationship between backwardness and corruption here?

germainebull

Return to CGT - Computers, Gaming & Technology