ForumCoin Special Offer: .info Domain for only 60 ForumCoin Close
Forum Coin is an online community where you earn Forum Coin for making posts and referring other members. You can use that Forum Coin as a virtual currency to buy and sell goods and services and to exchange for traditional, real world currencies. Find out more!
Webmaster forum. Website development, design & management. Graphic design. Blog / Forum Set-up, Management, Admin & News

What happens to deserted blogs?

Postby remnant » 14 Nov 2016, 08:31

It has to be said that since we are mortals, quite a number of blogs remain stagnant or moribund when the owner dies or simply suits blogging. Personally, I have started a number of blogs and lost steam midway. I remember that on Hubpages, I lost 50 posts after being rejected by Adsense. What happens to such blogs?

remnant

ForumCoin: 430

Re: What happens to deserted blogs?

Postby niche » 15 Nov 2016, 03:37

usually the domain name will expire as the owner cannot pay for the expenses

niche
Banned

ForumCoin: 936

Postby shamzblueworld » 15 Nov 2016, 08:10

niche wrote:usually the domain name will expire as the owner cannot pay for the expenses

Yes but if the owner keeps the domain and hosting active, they can still generate revenue if they have good content.

shamzblueworld

ForumCoin: 39

Postby Decentlady » 15 Nov 2016, 08:13

What about those blogs on free platforms like standard WordPress or Blogger?

Decentlady

Referrals: 2
ForumCoin: 484

Postby Canaria » 15 Nov 2016, 10:32

Decentlady wrote:What about those blogs on free platforms like standard WordPress or Blogger?

The blogs will stay available permanently, no matter how long they are abandoned (unless the owner him/herself wants to get rid of it).

Canaria

ForumCoin: 42

Postby shamzblueworld » 15 Nov 2016, 10:53

Canaria wrote:
Decentlady wrote:What about those blogs on free platforms like standard WordPress or Blogger?

The blogs will stay available permanently, no matter how long they are abandoned (unless the owner him/herself wants to get rid of it).

Yes and the platform would be making money for it if the content is good enough.

shamzblueworld

ForumCoin: 39

Postby Canaria » 15 Nov 2016, 11:05

Umm.. but I don't think leaving your blog untouched is a good idea, especially if you have multiple blogs. And of course, the ads traffic would drop significantly due to lack of visitors. The problem is, there are bound to be security holes if your blog is left abandoned. Installed theme and plugins used maybe infested with malware, but worst of all, once it's hacked, your other blog or websites are similarly at great risk. So, it is advised to keep in touch with every blog you made, or you can manually get rid of them if unused.

Canaria

Postby niche » 15 Nov 2016, 12:58

@shamzblueworld

The revenues of a website do not depend on the quality of content, it depends on how much the website is promoted, and how well connected the website owner is in India, whether he or she has a godfather or powerful relatives, friends to rank well in google,

niche
Banned

ForumCoin: 936

Postby Angie10 » 15 Nov 2016, 15:14

shamzblueworld wrote:
Canaria wrote:

Yes and the platform would be making money for it if the content is good enough.

Hang on, but I thought you can't make money from free blog sites like Wordpress.Com and Blogger?! I'm doing so much reading and researching before I publish my blog and I'm getting a little bogged down with all the information LOL

Angie10

Referrals: 2
ForumCoin: 2,044

Postby Canaria » 15 Nov 2016, 16:36

Hang on, but I thought you can't make money from free blog sites like Wordpress.Com and Blogger?! I'm doing so much reading and researching before I publish my blog and I'm getting a little bogged down with all the information LOL.

Yes you can make money out of them. Anyway, this might help you, so take a look https://smartblogger.com/passive-income/

Generating traffic itself is the main boss here, and it can easily take many years of your career as a blogger. But, perhaps not if you are on the right path.

Canaria

Postby Gina145 » 15 Nov 2016, 21:51

Canaria wrote:
Hang on, but I thought you can't make money from free blog sites like Wordpress.Com and Blogger?! I'm doing so much reading and researching before I publish my blog and I'm getting a little bogged down with all the information LOL.

Yes you can make money out of them. Anyway, this might help you, so take a look https://smartblogger.com/passive-income/

Generating traffic itself is the main boss here, and it can easily take many years of your career as a blogger. But, perhaps not if you are on the right path.

I know you can make money using a free Blogger account because I've got ads on my blog, but it's my understanding that you can't make money through a wordpress.com blog. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Gina145

ForumCoin: 751

Postby Canaria » 16 Nov 2016, 02:47

Gina, the only Ads traffic that are allowed for Wordpress is only WordAds. However, the revenue is very poor since you shared majority of them with WordAds, unless you are Wordpress premium user. For more inquiry, check out this link https://wordads.co/faq/

Canaria

Postby Gina145 » 17 Nov 2016, 22:59

Canaria wrote:Gina, the only Ads traffic that are allowed for Wordpress is only WordAds. However, the revenue is very poor since you shared majority of them with WordAds, unless you are Wordpress premium user. For more inquiry, check out this link https://wordads.co/faq/

Thanks, I've learned something I didn't know when I started my blog. But reading through their FAQ I see one problem with that compared to Blogger - WordAds is only available if you have a custom domain name, not the default free [example].wordpress.com URL.

I also like being able to use Amazon ads where they fit in with my content, so I guess I'm better off where I am. It's a shame really because I preferred the format of Wordpress when I used it at BlogJob.

Gina145

ForumCoin: 751

Postby germainebull » 17 Dec 2016, 05:40

Canaria wrote:Umm.. but I don't think leaving your blog untouched is a good idea, especially if you have multiple blogs.

Please remember that these situations may not be the wish of the blog owner. A blog owner may die in a plane or car crash, thus unwillingly abandoning his/her blog.

germainebull

Referrals: 22
ForumCoin: 399

Postby thisnthat » 10 Jan 2017, 15:51

Canaria wrote:

Yep, I have some old blogs that are still there (from many years ago). I should probably do something with them.

thisnthat

ForumCoin: 144

Next

Return to Webmaster Questions, Discussion & News